Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many points of view on this subject that has been debating on other threads, and is dependent upon many individual riding and environmental factors.

But here’s Motorcyclist’s point of view. (Any advertising revenue from these companies going to Motorcylist...who knows???)

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/top-motorcycle-chain-lubes/

·
Registered
743 Posts
I’ve tried all of those but one. Currently using DuPont product. My summer weight jacket has splatter marks from the others, even when wiped nearly dry.

Reactions: psyopper

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I tried the Dupont stuff.....it lasted about a year. I've had the Chain Wax for about 20....the can is getting light now.

I ran out of kerosene about 10 years ago and got lazy to buy more and just use WD40 to clean my chains.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Next we’ll tackle best oil and tires!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have been using the Muc-off lube with an ultra-violet additive. Really penetrates the rollers well, and with a handy UV torch you can see and clean up any overspill.

Readily available in the UK...

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Interesting....no shots yet.

However, once the war starts, I predict it will be a protracted conflict with many keyboards suffering from horrific war wounds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been using Maxima Chain Wax.
Just like anything, frequent application is always better.
I have used MC Factory Line. It flings quite a bit and very gunky not easy to clean off.
For me, I can see my rollers get shiny at 300 miles so that's when I give the rollers a nice coating.
At 600 miles, the chain starting to look a bit dirty so I give it a wash.
There is no magic lube will beat frequent lubing and cleaning.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Applied the Motul chain lube for road use. It is more tacky than the terrible Spanjaard lube but it still has some fling off. Must add though, after a good chain clean the motul keeps the chain looking "pretty". Admittedly I had the bike at redline a few times, so no wonder there's some minor fling off. This might be the lube for me. I'll give the SS a clean and apply some more, I'll try take it easy for a few hundred km's and conduct another inspection.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Applied the Motul chain lube for road use. It is more tacky than the terrible Spanjaard lube but it still has some fling off. Must add though, after a good chain clean the motul keeps the chain looking "pretty". Admittedly I had the bike at redline a few times, so no wonder there's some minor fling off. This might be the lube for me. I'll give the SS a clean and apply some more, I'll try take it easy for a few hundred km's and conduct another inspection.
I’ve been using the Motul cleaner and lubricant combo for a while and that’s been my observation, too (minor fling off).

I also have a Motorex prodcut on the shelf I want to use. I’m rather partial to Motorex products.

I’m also interested in trying Lucky’s DuPont lube he is fond of. Probably halfway through the next chain.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Profi Dry Lube, aka PDL. Teflon based. No grease, no muck. Super clean. Everybody uses this now, in my corner of the map.
Appears PDL product may not be available in the US. Would like to try.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You mean ordering on eBay.co.uk? I guess that would be overkill to order a can and have it shipped across the pond... But maybe a full box, and then your set for life? Or resell (non profit) locally to fellow forum members ? Like a group order?

The only thing to realize with this product is that the chain needs to be resprayed more often than with classic grease (I do it every 500 km). Therefore, I probably wouldn’t recommend it to the hardcore all weather all seasons daily commuters. But for mostly dry weather weekend riders and occasional tourers who like to keep their bikes super clean, it’s an excellent product. A non greasy/tacking chain means it does not collect road dirt and all. Better for chain wear.

Just don’t forget to tell the dealership not to grease the chain when you bring the bike in for service. Last time I forgot and got it back with white gunk everywhere. Like they used butter or something ! Took me an hour to clean that mess. PDL is not compatible with classic grease. Chain needs to be extra clean when first used.

https://probike.co.uk/spare-parts/other-spares/profi-dry-lube

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I’ve been using the Motul cleaner and lubricant combo for a while and that’s been my observation, too (minor fling off).

I also have a Motorex prodcut on the shelf I want to use. I’m rather partial to Motorex products.

I’m also interested in trying Lucky’s DuPont lube he is fond of. Probably halfway through the next chain.
Yeah Lucky Seven seems adamant about the Du Pont but I can't get it here, I'd like to try it if I can find some.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts