Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I have had my Supersport for about 400 miles now and it is time to clean/lube my chain for the first time. I've only been riding for under a year and have only cleaned my chain once prior to this so I am definitely not an expert here.

The way I did it on my MT07 was first by spraying kerosine on the chain and giving it a good cleaning with a chain brush. Then I would wipe it down and then spray on Chain Wax. Is this an okay way to clean the SS chain or is there a better way?

Also, I do not have a rear stand so the way I cleaned my last chain was pretty annoying which involved me cleaning the chain and then moving the bike forward to clean a new part of the chain. Is there a better way to do this without a rear stand? I may just bite the bullet and buy one...

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Why don't you use the search or advanced search to find where this has been discussed before.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Kerosene is the best cleaner. WD40 is nearly as good. I prefer a rag rather than a brush. After several decades using chain wax, I've been converted by the Fort9 kid to use gear oil. I find it's much cleaner, doesn't attract dirt like wax and doesn't flung off as much.

Don't go a full year without cleaning and checking the chain for adjustment. I'd do it every 500-1000 miles. More often, if the chain needed adjustment. Definitely get the right tools for the job (big Torx and C-spanner) and a rear stand makes the job much easier.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Motul Chain Cleaner, using microfiber rag. Wipe until you see the silver of the chain then use Motul Chain Wax, wipe slightly again with clean microfiber towel

·
Registered
122 Posts
Kerosene is the best cleaner. WD40 is nearly as good. I prefer a rag rather than a brush. After several decades using chain wax, I've been converted by the Fort9 kid to use gear oil. I find it's much cleaner, doesn't attract dirt like wax and doesn't flung off as much.

Don't go a full year without cleaning and checking the chain for adjustment. I'd do it every 500-1000 miles. More often, if the chain needed adjustment. Definitely get the right tools for the job (big Torx and C-spanner) and a rear stand makes the job much easier.
+1, this is the right way IMO.
The last thing you want to do is damage the O-rings, so rag instead of brush. Kerosene is the safest cleaner, won't hurt the o-rings at all. WD-40 is a great cleaner, but also a good penetrant, which makes it possible it will get past the o-rings and dilute the internal grease. That said, I often use a rag with a little bit of WD-40 on it to wipe down the chain, simply because I don't have kerosene handy.

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
@alexc2327

There’s many, many opinions :) on the best type of cleaner and lube that can be found on the Forum (“lubes”), and elsewhere, but here’s some common points that I believe all would agree:

1) Routinely clean the chain. (I clean my two bikes' chains every 200 miles, but that may not be possible for many folks.)

2) Be careful not to apply too much pressure with a stiff brush or even a very strong solvent to the chain, so as not to damage the chain’s O-rings as RD mentions above. (I happen to use toothbrushes.)

3) Periodically remove the front sprocket cover, as crud accumulates in there, and also clean the crud that may accumulate especially on the rear sprocket teeth.

4) Use the lube of your choice (type of lube chosen can vary depending on your weather conditions, the type of riding you do, how often you clean it, etc). We each have our specific weather conditions and riding styles...I use Dupont chain wax on my bikes.

Although some may disagree even for the need of routine maintenance, imo the most important thing is to clean and lube the chain frequently. Frequent cleaning also has other benefits: its a safety check. While cleaning the chain you can inspect each link to ensure it is in good working order, e.g. there are no links that are frozen/damaged/broken that could cause an unpleasant surprise when riding. Not as uncommon as it might seem, chains do fail sometimes...some chain failures have been reported on this Forum.

I have more than 16,000 miles on my original chain and sprockets, have cleaned it pretty religiously, and it's barely worn at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm going to echo the use of WD40 as a cleaner. I've had great results with it and it's readily available. Kerosene also works well, but is a little more difficult to find.

I lightly go over the chain with a plastic bristle brush soaked liberally and frequently reapplied in WD40. I then use old t-shirts as a rag, coated in WD40, and wipe the chain down. Looks purty afterwards.

I've used some chain cleaners before, but they smelled FOUL and I worried what I might be breathing in. Seriously. Also they didn't clean any better than WD40 and cost a lot more.

I then typically uses chain wax and coat the both sides of the inner rollers and spray in between the side links.Thick gear oil ( 90 weight) works well too.

I currently have 12,000 miles on the original chain and have noticed no wear and very little loose or tight spots.

I concur that everyone has there favorite method and it becomes almost a ritual. I think the most important thing to do is to have a ritual and exercise it regularly. I feel best when I lube the chain at least every 300 miles and clean it every other lube interval (or so...). Other's may feel differently....

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
@alexc2327

There’s many, many opinions :) on the best type of cleaner and lube that can be found on the Forum (“lubes”), and elsewhere, but here’s some common points that I believe all would agree:

1) Routinely clean the chain. (I clean my two bikes' chains every 200 miles, but that may not be possible for many folks.)

2) Be careful not to apply too much pressure with a stiff brush or even a very strong solvent to the chain, so as not to damage the chain’s O-rings as RD mentions above. (I happen to use toothbrushes.)

3) Periodically remove the front sprocket cover, as crud accumulates in there, and also clean the crud that may accumulate especially on the rear sprocket teeth.

4) Use the lube of your choice (type of lube chosen can vary depending on your weather conditions, the type of riding you do, how often you clean it, etc). We each have our specific weather conditions and riding styles...I use Dupont chain wax on my bikes.

Although some may disagree even for the need of routine maintenance, imo the most important thing is to clean and lube the chain frequently. Frequent cleaning also has other benefits: its a safety check. While cleaning the chain you can inspect each link to ensure it is in good working order, e.g. there are no links that are frozen/damaged/broken that could cause an unpleasant surprise when riding. Not as uncommon as it might seem, chains do fail sometimes...some chain failures have been reported on this Forum.

I have more than 16,000 miles on my original chain and sprockets, have cleaned it pretty religiously, and it's barely worn at all.
Great write up, @Ed

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi all,

So I have had my Supersport for about 400 miles now and it is time to clean/lube my chain for the first time. I've only been riding for under a year and have only cleaned my chain once prior to this so I am definitely not an expert here.

The way I did it on my MT07 was first by spraying kerosine on the chain and giving it a good cleaning with a chain brush. Then I would wipe it down and then spray on Chain Wax. Is this an okay way to clean the SS chain or is there a better way?

Also, I do not have a rear stand so the way I cleaned my last chain was pretty annoying which involved me cleaning the chain and then moving the bike forward to clean a new part of the chain. Is there a better way to do this without a rear stand? I may just bite the bullet and buy one...
Sounds pretty good to me.

·
Registered
892 Posts
In the UK paraffin (kerosene) is as cheap as chips and readily available. As others have said, the choice of chain lube is a personal one - it's what works best for you.

The way you cleaned and lubed the chain on your MT07 will work perfectly for the Supersport.

As Ed K said - definitely take off the front sprocket cover as the amount of crud that builds up behind it is amazing.

edited - due to appalling spelling!

·
Registered
208 Posts
The only thing I can add is that when I wash my bike, which is every 1000km or so, that's when I clean the chain. I use the abba stand for ease. First, I spray on the cleaner, and let it soak while I lovingly lather up the rest of the bike. Then just after rinsing the bike, I clean off the chain with a rag, and rinse it too. Then I dry the whole bike with microfibre cloths, and dry off the chain with a clean rag. Then lube it once it's completely dry. It's in great condition.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
@alexc2327 for me it's also tricky to search sometimes - as a help I recommend to change "sort by" to the most recent and switch the words if you know there must be something but it does not show in the results. Search engine is quite specific - once didn't find "panamerica" but "pan america" yes : )

·
Registered
892 Posts
@alexc2327 Get yourself a good rear stand. It will help greatly with chain maintenance, cleaning the rear wheel and for when you have to take the rear wheel off to get a new tyre fitted.

Front and rear stands are great when storing the bike over the winter months (if you don't ride all year around) as it keeps the tyres of the cold floor which can lead to flat spots on the tyre.

·
Registered
115 Posts
To clean the chain, I am going to use kerosen, to remove all the grease n crud,

To lube the chain, Belray(?) makes a white spray which works really well. It goes on white so you can see where you sprayEd.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the reply's everyone. Much appreciated and will help me when I clean my chain soon. Looks like I will have to get a rear stand soon. I am assuming PitBull Hybrid Stand is the best one but any other recs?

This may also be a stupid question but if I buy the above stand do I need to buy any other parts for it to work such as a spool? Thanks again

·
Registered
892 Posts
This may also be a stupid question but if I buy the above stand do I need to buy any other parts for it to work such as a spool? Thanks again
No other parts required. Just make sure that the diameter of the pin is the right size for the rear spindle hole

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
All you guys using Chain Wax, give the gear oil a try. The Fort9 kid was right about it IMO.

Being a Guzzi guy, I always had some gear oil around. Now the chain wax is just gathering dust on the shelf.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Hi all,

So I have had my Supersport for about 400 miles now and it is time to clean/lube my chain for the first time.
Great advice from @Ed K @landmissle @Triplesapper - you won’t go wrong following their advice.

Concur with buying a rear stand...makes a lot of maintenance tasks (not just chain care) infinitely easier.

I’ve used both wax and gear oil. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Your preferred choice will come with time.

Regarding the WW III topic, while I will listen to arguments by some that chain lubrication is not necessary, I‘m never convinced it’s the right choice for me. I won’t tell those folks they’re wrong - it’s their bike and wallet, not mine. But for me, I lube every 200-400 miles and I can FEEL the chain start to buzz when it‘s running dry. Curbside lubrication (like you’ve done) is not a waste of time and I can immediately feel the difference. Like @EdK, I use the SS’ second trip meter to keep track of my chain lube schedule.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts