Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Thanks for the reply's everyone. Much appreciated and will help me when I clean my chain soon. Looks like I will have to get a rear stand soon. I am assuming PitBull Hybrid Stand is the best one but any other recs?

This may also be a stupid question but if I buy the above stand do I need to buy any other parts for it to work such as a spool? Thanks again
I can strongly recommend the ABBA skylift, it is so much more than a paddock stand and you can lift your bike to a height that makes it easy to work on.

ABA Skylift

It even lifts the heffalump (Chris's ZX14R) and makes it much easier to wash or clean the chain.

Since I bought ours over a year ago I've not used the paddock stand.

Reactions: Oldrider

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the reply's everyone. Much appreciated and will help me when I clean my chain soon. Looks like I will have to get a rear stand soon. I am assuming PitBull Hybrid Stand is the best one but any other recs?

This may also be a stupid question but if I buy the above stand do I need to buy any other parts for it to work such as a spool? Thanks again
This is exactly the one I got for my SuperSport and it works great. I can lift from either side of the bike. This makes it great to lube the chain or to remove the wheel for a tire change. Very well built and keeps the bike stable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

So I have had my Supersport for about 400 miles now and it is time to clean/lube my chain for the first time. I've only been riding for under a year and have only cleaned my chain once prior to this so I am definitely not an expert here.

The way I did it on my MT07 was first by spraying kerosine on the chain and giving it a good cleaning with a chain brush. Then I would wipe it down and then spray on Chain Wax. Is this an okay way to clean the SS chain or is there a better way?

Also, I do not have a rear stand so the way I cleaned my last chain was pretty annoying which involved me cleaning the chain and then moving the bike forward to clean a new part of the chain. Is there a better way to do this without a rear stand? I may just bite the bullet and buy one...
yes thats the go. just dont use a coorse brush as the brissles will damage the o rings. i found a soft tooth brush best
cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

So I have had my Supersport for about 400 miles now and it is time to clean/lube my chain for the first time. I've only been riding for under a year and have only cleaned my chain once prior to this so I am definitely not an expert here.

The way I did it on my MT07 was first by spraying kerosine on the chain and giving it a good cleaning with a chain brush. Then I would wipe it down and then spray on Chain Wax. Is this an okay way to clean the SS chain or is there a better way?

Also, I do not have a rear stand so the way I cleaned my last chain was pretty annoying which involved me cleaning the chain and then moving the bike forward to clean a new part of the chain. Is there a better way to do this without a rear stand? I may just bite the bullet and buy one...
On the rear stand issue you cant go past the Dynamoto stand manufactured in Australia which provides multi directional movement. Ideal for small spaces. They are not cheap but i have 2 and they are superbly engineered and functional. www.dynamoto.com.au. you can order the spindal you need specific to your bike. I think they have worldwide agents

·
Registered
208 Posts
On the rear stand issue you cant go past the Dynamoto stand manufactured in Australia which provides multi directional movement. Ideal for small spaces. They are not cheap but i have 2 and they are superbly engineered and functional. www.dynamoto.com.au. you can order the spindal you need specific to your bike. I think they have worldwide agents
Very cool.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Another quick question as I get ready to lube my chain for the first time over the next few days. I read that after lubing the chain and riding, it may make a bit of a mess and get sprayed over the bike. I am trying to avoid this but any tips on making it as clean as possible when riding for the first time. I will make sure to let the bike sit for at least an hour before riding it after I lube it but any specific tips?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Alex- It's best to clean and lube the chain when it's warm after you've ridden the bike. As I've said, I prefer to use gear oil and rag to wipe it on the chain. After you ride it, there is likely to have some spray on the back wheel. Clean it off with WD40 and a rag, just like you would clean the chain. It's my experience the splatter from gear oil is less a mess than marketed chain lube.

There is a teflon "dry lube" that should be cleaner. I've used it before but the can didn't last long. Since it's dry, I didn't have experience to really know if I was getting good coverage. This might be answer for you to keep everything clean?

Modern chains may take less maintenance but the chain should be cleaned, lubed and checked for adjustment about every 500 miles. This bike requires additional tools to adjust the chain, a big Torx and C spanner. You'll need to purchase these if you don't have them. Servicing the chain is mandatory.

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
I cut Amazon cardboard boxes to position pieces behind and under the bike to prevent over-spray on to the bike, and from dripping on the floor when applying DuPont Telfon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning lubricant to my motorcycles. This “dry” lube goes on wet, and firms up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Since I have stopped putting too much lube on, it doesn't spray all over the place on the first ride - the wheel and everything else stays clean. Especially why it's important to clean and lube regularly as @LowRyter says. I do every 1000km because we don't have any miles to count here in Australia ;) . @Ed K, nice idea with the cardboard - easier than using a rag like I have been!

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
892 Posts
Little and often is the secret. As LowRyter has said, lube the chain when its warm. Also wipe of the excess lube from the chain before taking it out for a ride

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Little and often is the secret. As LowRyter has said, lube the chain when its warm. Also wipe of the excess lube from the chain before taking it out for a ride
And don’t overlube, all you’re doing is protecting the chain and putting a little lube between the sprocket and rollers. The real lube is sealed into the chain o or x rings.

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
So many chains to lube, so little time, haha... :)

Also, a bit of extra “dry” lube sprayed on can help to clean the chain while the lube is still thin, instead of having to use solvent. Then, a little wipe in strategic areas where needed.

But whatever our individual preferences... there’s lots of ways to do it well. As mentioned above, and other places on the Forum, prolly the most important things are to do it gently, judiciously and frequently.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts