Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out for a ride with some friends and my wife, her first ride on her brand new Honda Rebel 500 no less! It was going swimmingly when suddenly at a stop light I noticed my rear brake pedal had lost all pressure. I looked down to my right and was shocked to see a copious amount of smoke billowing from the side of the bike.

I quickly pulled over and discovered that a bolt was clearly missing. I can only assume this bolt had been holding up the rear brake lines because as you can see below, the lines were now resting directly on top of the extremely hot exhaust. They had apparently melted through and dripped brake fluid onto the exhaust, my rear brake fluid reservoir was down to about a quarter level and when I tested pushing the brake pedal down I was greeted with another blast of smoke as more fluid was released from the lines.

Alas the riding day was ended, and my friend rode to the dollar store to buy me some zip ties, which I used to secure the brake lines away from the exhaust. After carefully inspecting the rear tire to ensure it was free of brake fluid, I rode home using only the front brake.

Quite bizarre that bolt just fell off, I would assume something like that would have some thread locker on it. With the dealership closed until Tuesday that means no more riding this weekend sadly. I will certainly badger them to give me some kind of service credit, as this seems like something that never should have happened.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
This is one of the reasons I like to wash my bike regularly. It helps identify loose or missing fasteners.

I also put a drop of screw lock on any fastener I remove and replace.

Reactions: Trancepotato

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Trancepotato Wow, fortunately it didn’t result in a get-off. Have you had the recall done on the rear brake line?
It's a 2021, I see the recall for the previous generation but none for the new. Pretty disappointing, I just had my 1000km service not too long ago. Considering that cost me almost 500 dollars I would expect everything to be checked

·
Registered
230 Posts
@Trancepotato Wow, fortunately it didn’t result in a get-off. Have you had the recall done on the rear brake line?
It has what the recall was on the previous gen model. Heat wrapping around the brake lines. I'd have to look at my swingarm and see if that fastener is there. I don't recall.

I just had the recall done and they forget to install one of the breather hoses back on the intake. I found out when I was wondering what was dripping from under my bike after a fill up. It was gas coming out of a hose onto the exhaust. =] Thanks, dealership!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has what the recall was on the previous gen model. Heat wrapping around the brake lines. I'd have to look at my swingarm and see if that fastener is there. I don't recall.

I just had the recall done and they forget to install one of the breather hoses back on the intake. I found out when I was wondering what was dripping from under my bike after a fill up. It was gas coming out of a hose onto the exhaust. =] Thanks, dealership!
Just send my bike via tow truck back to the dealership today. Hope you get your issue fixed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts