Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2018 SS with 4,000 miles. The gentleman I purchased it from said it had been sitting for a few months but when I test rode it, it worked perfectly. It had a half tank of gas in it but I topped it off at a local gas station. About 30 minutes into the ride home, I went to accelerate past a vehicle and the bike made a sort of pop noise and stalled out. I tried to start it a few times to no avail. After getting it towed home I hooked the battery up to a charger and it started. The only way it stays started is by giving it gas but even when I do this it won鈥檛 get over 2000rpms. When I let go of the throttle it dies again. I鈥檓 new to this and have no idea what the issue could be. Bad battery? Bad gas? Please help馃槶

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about the disappointing problems with a brand new bike.

Lots of great members here with useful insight that can help get you sorted.

Doing my best to answer in your other thread.

Registered
Hmm You will need to take it to a dealer so that they can run a diagnostic to be sure what it is. I had a similar thing happen over a year ago I thought it may have been dodgy fuel (I was leaving on a 5 Day tour the next day so was frantically trying to sort it out) I started by Draining the tank and checking if there was water in the fuel. there was non. I wont go into all the things I tried. I knew it was Fuel related or Fuel Map related. The throttle is Flybywire so it could have been electronic ??? it turned out being the DQS (Quick shifter) You can discount this as being the problem by deselecting it from the Menu on all the riding modes and then try the bike if it runs fine then that's your problem (a common problem)鈥︹︹. That's if you have the S model with DQS. that's all I can think it could possibly be without putting it on the Diagnostic

Super Moderator
Welcome @ThreeChinz Sorry to hear of the issue, but it鈥檒l be fixed soon; it鈥檚 a wonderful bike.

Concur with @Rhino Most likely DQS...or another electrical issue. Dealer can sort quickly.

Registered
Doubt it's bad gas, and unlikely a bad battery, but you can test it how I do: Charge it, check voltage, let it sit overnight, check voltage again. /If it stays relatively the same, maybe a drop in half a volt, then you're likely fine.
It does sound electrical.
Call the previous owner and ask him if it ever stalled on him.

Sorry to hear, man. I know it sucks getting a new and expensive toy and it not working right then having to dump money into fixing it. Call the local dealer and see if any warranty work was done on it related to this problem.

Registered
No expert here. But. If it runs - good. No damage to the combustion chamer let's say. What about air filter? What about the throttle. If it stayed long - maaaybe something made a "home" inside the tubes of air delivery... or the "ride by wire" mechanism failed and doesn't give proper signals to ECU. It's too new to try on your own too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts