Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Abba Skylift arrived, and I thought a good project to try it out would be to bleed the brakes.

I've never been happy with the rear brake, and chasing a short lever has seen me overheat the rear disk several times when I've adjusted the pedal too 'close' and it's applied the brakes as it gets warm.

I cannot believe how much difference it has made. I have a very short lever and no sponginess. The front brakes have improved as well. I'm starting to think the rear, in particular, wasn't bled properly from the factory.

I will admit I've had the bike 2 1/2 years, so the brake fluid is overdue for replacement. I don't buy into 3 years between changes, and now I'm even more convinced I'll be going for 6-month intervals.

So, if you're not happy with your rear stoppers, try a proper bleed. I took the rear calliper off, piece of cake with the stand in the 'stoppy' position. Allowed me to give the calliper a good clean and put brake grease on the back of the pads.

Both the stand and the bleed results get a 10/10 from me...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Good job mate. My rear brake is good to useless at the moment. I need to adjust the lever again (done it once before to great success) as it travels too far before i get any bite at all, but as you said too short if a travel and if it heats up you got real problems. I have had the brake fluid replaced 3 times already. it takes about 3 months before it starts to fade for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
I haven't noticed any issues with either front or rear brakes with routinely fairly aggressive street riding, but recently had them both flushed, and immediately noticed a tightening up, in my case especially the front.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good job mate. My rear brake is good to useless at the moment. I need to adjust the lever again (done it once before to great success) as it travels too far before i get any bite at all, but as you said too short if a travel and if it heats up you got real problems. I have had the brake fluid replaced 3 times already. it takes about 3 months before it starts to fade for me.
@Rhino get your rear brake hose replaced with the recall version, it solved this issue for me.

Matt

·
Registered
431 Posts
@Rhino get your rear brake hose replaced with the recall version, it solved this issue for me.

Matt
I wasn't aware that there is a recall for the rear brake hose???

Reactions: Ed K and LowRyter

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
I wasn't aware that there is a recall for the rear brake hose???
Technically its not a Recall, but a TSB... please see post #15.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For all the fluids (engine oil, fork oil...) it has to be changed when it need and not according to the maintenance date.

I change the brake fluid each year. (+/- 15000kms)
I've done the rear 2 times this year. This autumn, the color has changed so much since the last bleed that I decided to change and it worthed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys - new member here 2017 S (Brembo) - how the heck do you bleed these darn calipers? In the rear, the bleed screw appears to be BELOW the line (uh, gravity? where do the bubbles go?), and in front it's right on top of line fittings. Not much of a "flush" in that case - unless I'm not seeing the other top-secret bleeder screws somewhere?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah sorry never mind should have searched first. Oh yeah, just take everything the f apart. What a great braking system.... love it.... holy crap what did I get myself into....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts