Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake lines are black, so hard to tell in the pics if they are steel braided...does anyone know?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Pretty sure D.O.T., TUV, et al require braided lines (steel/Kevlar) which have to meet their respective requirements. Also pretty sure this has been status quo for quite some time now.

But that doesn't seem to matter to riders who gravitate to aftermarket ones with fancy colors and designs which will not improve braking performance. It will only be a cosmetic change in spite of what the vendors claim.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Pretty sure D.O.T., TUV, et al require braided lines (steel/Kevlar) which have to meet their respective requirements. Also pretty sure this has been status quo for quite some time now.

But that doesn't seem to matter to riders who gravitate to aftermarket ones with fancy colors and designs which will not improve braking performance. It will only be a cosmetic change in spite of what the vendors claim.
The new GSX-R has rubber brake lines, so that is still legal. Ducati has been doing braided steel lines on their bikes for a long time and I think the black sheathing is just to protect painted surfaces the lines might rub against.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm betting those rubber lines have some flavor of braid in them. Anyone up for cutting one and educating us? >:)

The sheathing is to protect the braids and the people handling them. Depending on the country, sheathing is required for autos to prevent dirt accumulations causing stiffness and kinking. Maybe the requirement is for all motor vehicles? Don't know why they tell Juan to use black? I think the clear covered ones look better.

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...

And yeah not all bikes, as another example, I understand the FZ10 ones are not steel braided.

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my Scrambler they're black and solid, but diffucult to tell if that's steel or something else underneath the sheathing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Been doing some reading and learned that brake hoses are the most regulated part of motor vehicles. Several countries and other legal entities have requirements that the manufacturers must comply with. I was surprised to learn that hose construction material is not one of the requirements. Case in point, FMVSS 106 and SAE 1401 do not specify materials. They outline the test protocol and procedures that the hoses must pass.

So, depending on the manufacturer, brake lines may or not be braided. What they share in common is compliance to performance requirements.

But, getting back to Ducatis, as stated, they are steel braided and covered with a sheath to meet the aforementioned requirements. :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was hoping so...

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"There’s a pair of radial mount, monobloc Brembo M4-32 calipers gripping a pair of 320mm rotors with steel braided lines connecting them to the lever. Plus, Bosch ABS is standard on both models. Again, you have to be real good to outride this hardware."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts