Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- I'm wondering what setting you use in SPORT mode (ABS & DTC).

And what I'm really looking to hear is from those of you who have done any personal testing of the different ABS and/or DTC settings. I'm basically looking for anyone who has gone into a parking lot or the track (or a local road) and really pushed the limits of the ABS or DTC at various settings- both front & rear.- and what you learned

When the weather warms up I'm going to do some hard testing myself on my Supersport (mostly the ABS) but would love to hear opinions from anyone who has done this already.

Truth be told- I'm an older guy who grew up on bikes well before ABS existed and have always been comfortable riding when the rear gets a little loose. But I'm thinking I really want to get the feel of the ABS & DTC on the SS so I can really use it to its abilities- and maybe my abilities.

Thanks for any feedback-

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I run 100% in performance mode and have not gotten beyond the factory settings regarding ABS & DTC. The reason I haven't bothered is that I can't recall the DTC ever coming on. I can think of maybe a couple of time the ABS came on (and I wasn't expecting it or needed it). I figured that I was good. Perhaps I should reduce the ABS a notch?

That's after 10k of riding.

I am kind of puzzled that this bike has three throttle/power modes since the bike isn't really that powerful.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I'm surprised people don't have more to say about this- especially the ABS side of things.

I'm someone who rides somewhat aggressively & we all know managing your braking is the most important aspect of riding- and understanding how the ABS (and DTC) will respond seems pretty important.

Anyway- I digress. This past sunday was a relatively warm day here on the east coast, so I put my suit on & took the bike to an isolated area where I could really push things and tried the different ABS settings & stopping from different speeds.

When I have more time to write I'll post some more info around it. Meantime- I'd still love to hear from anyone who has had to really test their ABS/DTC- whether on track or due to an emergency response.

·
Registered
175 Posts
On the track ABS was not intrusive on the lowest setting for me. Lowest setting to my limited skills felt like a bike sans ABS. Level 2, that is standard in sport caused vibration in hard braking. On the road I haven't noticed anything adverse, and I run in touring most of the time. DTC lights up on the street quite a bit, but in sport mode not so much on the track with warm tires. For me, being +90kgs, activating the DTC on the track seems to require heavy throttle and leaning over.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Thanks for your response. I'm surprised people don't have more to say about this- especially the ABS side of things.

I'm someone who rides somewhat aggressively & we all know managing your braking is the most important aspect of riding- and understanding how the ABS (and DTC) will respond seems pretty important.

Anyway- I digress. This past sunday was a relatively warm day here on the east coast, so I put my suit on & took the bike to an isolated area where I could really push things and tried the different ABS settings & stopping from different speeds.

When I have more time to write I'll post some more info around it. Meantime- I'd still love to hear from anyone who has had to really test their ABS/DTC- whether on track or due to an emergency response.
I did the same thing a couple of years ago at my little race track. spent a few days testing the breaking limits and sensitivity of the DTC. Long story short I now use standard touring settings in gravely road situations and the DTC will turn on when needed, no need for me to increase the sensitivity the way I ride and I ride with standard DTC in sport because after trying level 1 and 2 I couldn't get it to intervene with Sensible aggressive riding. i.e sliding the rear wheel while powering out of bends at lean. as it was a while ago( my exploration of the limits of the bike) I am left with the thought that if you ride Hard fast and smooth the standard sport settings are fine and it does not intervene unless you stuff up. Did find out that level 1 (least intrusive) ABS will allow the rear wheel to lift on hard breaking without interference. Good Topic Good Subject but most of the guys including myself that used to get involved with these great topics have faded into the background Bored with the wishy washy subject mater now days..... But I look forward to you findings :grin2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Abs /dtc

I have only done 500 miles on my Supersport S.Sport mode for me is best as regards engine performance etc.However I should like to change the ABS from level 2 to 3when I figure out how to.I like the fact that level 3 stops the rear wheel lifting under emergency braking.I like the idea of that stability for road use.Cheers for now..

·
Registered
882 Posts
I also find the standard Sport settings right for street riding, occasionally lighting DTC.
I agree with this and what @Rhino said. I played with the settings a bit and see no reason to change what Ducati has. They work great for me and my riding style, are unobtrusive and I don't ride in a manner to feel the need to "test" them because the bike just isn't that powerful and out of control as it is. I guess that's why I like it so much.

I've unintentionally activated ABS twice in 40+ years of riding, once on the Triumph and once on the Duc; the traction control light flashed once in NC when I was in touring mode and the road got a little bumpy while accelerating out of a tight corner. That's my experience with the Ducati Safety Pack.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I have only done 500 miles on my Supersport S.Sport mode for me is best as regards engine performance etc.However I should like to change the ABS from level 2 to 3when I figure out how to.I like the fact that level 3 stops the rear wheel lifting under emergency braking.I like the idea of that stability for road use.Cheers for now..
Quick tip.
In the main menu, click RM then select your rider mode, then flick through the scree until it gets to abs and dtc on the dash. All in the manual.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am kind of puzzled that this bike has three throttle/power modes since the bike isn't really that powerful.
Oh really? :) I use a lot of Urban and Touring. I can feel a significant difference. DTC in Urban m. saved me couple times in the rain and I saw it in Touring mode on the MotoGP track I was riding going out the curve.

When I first bought it I forgot about the Urban (rain mode) and on a rainy day on a wooden bridge in my first trip with 15+ motorcycles I put too much gas and fell - because of that around 8 other riders fell behind me... yea... Then I learned to use Urban/Touring/Sport not longer than for a minute heh :(

One guy with modern Monster told me - "don't care, just keep pushing in the curves, this Safty Pack is awesome, put gas and it will save you" - he was really sure about it. He was older and with bigger experience but that's what he said to me.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Oh really? :) I use a lot of Urban and Touring. I can feel a significant difference. DTC in Urban m. saved me couple times in the rain and I saw it in Touring mode on the MotoGP track I was riding going out the curve.

When I first bought it I forgot about the Urban (rain mode) and on a rainy day on a wooden bridge in my first trip with 15+ motorcycles I put too much gas and fell - because of that around 8 other riders fell behind me... yea... Then I learned to use Urban/Touring/Sport not longer than for a minute heh :(

One guy with modern Monster told me - "don't care, just keep pushing in the curves, this Safty Pack is awesome, put gas and it will save you" - he was really sure about it. He was older and with bigger experience but that's what he said to me.
Since you use those modes, it proves that I was wrong. It's great that we have options to suit different riders. Thanks for correcting me. I overlooked that point.

Be safe. I hope I am too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After some tests I modifed the dtc/abs.
In sport mode, I have put abs on 1 and dtc on 2. In mountain I drive fast and the dtc light just appeared maybe 1 or 2 times and I didn't find the utility to put it on 1.
For the abs it's not intrusive even with hard braking so I decided to not cancel it and as the DS boss told me: "you drive really fast but don't forget that you're on open road, not on a track so keep it for security".

But tyres are really important for a good choice.
I've done my sport settings with the Rosso corsa II. With the Rosso III the dtc light appeared a lot of time.
So I keep the sport mode only for really good conditions in spring/summer with good tyres. For autunm/winter I have the angel gt II tyres and most of the time I use the touring mode that I modified. (ABS 2/ DTC 4)

I never use the urban mode because I don't have good feelings with it, such as if the injection failed, and I don't want to waste my time to modifiy it.
For my drive behaviour, sport and touring modes are enough, urban is useless.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I also agree with @Rhino on this. I have not been on bike for last 4 mths as it's winter here in Ontario so I'm just going on memory...:crying: But I do recall the standard Ducati settings to be just right for my riding, Sport mode 90% and Touring the other. The DTC lights up the odd time in heavy lean powering out of corners but never feels intrusive. I have only felt ABS kick in once or twice on rear but again not intrusive enough to feel the need to tweak it. I have used Urban mode but only when I first got bike and it was very cold out or got caught in rain.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I never use the urban mode because I don't have good feelings with it, such as if the injection failed, and I don't want to waste my time to modifiy it.
Be assured that if the injection fails the bike won't work in any mode! The different modes have nothing to do with the injection but are achieved by how fast and how far the the ride by wire system opens the throttle butterflies in response to your wrist movements. The different ABS and DTC settings for each mode are preset by the factory but, as you are aware, can be changed to suit personal needs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts