Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
1. Make sure you have free sag on the rear.
2. Set all controls to suit you.
3. Get the sag set.
4. Book your first service.
5. Get out and enjoy.
6. Thank me for getting you to book your first service, you鈥檒l do the mileage in no time鈥

Registered
Congratulations - enjoy 馃憤

Reactions: nammers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1. Make sure you have free sag on the rear.
2. Set all controls to suit you.
3. Get the sag set.
4. Book your first service.
5. Get out and enjoy.
6. Thank me for getting you to book your first service, you鈥檒l do the mileage in no time鈥
Yeah, I second @theresanothersteve 's advice about getting your suspension set by a skilled technician. It's worth the cost and will make you safer and faster.
So the guy told me that it's setup by default for a 180lb rider. I told him that I'm 150lbs, and asked if he could setup the suspension/preload for my weight. He asked me to ride it for the first 600mi and if needed, he will do it at first service (sounded like it would be on the house, but I didn't specifically ask if it would be)

Reactions: Ed K

Premium Member
Not bad advice, break the bike in.

Does the shop proactively advertise it specializes or has a mechanic that specializes in suspension?

If not, find another place.

My observation is dealers don鈥檛 necessarily know as much about the bikes they sell as they should. Especially because Ducati is a premium brand, one naturally assumes the mechanic would be skilled.

Unfortunately, he might not be skilled past changing the fork oil.

Premium Member
...My observation is dealers don鈥檛 necessarily know as much about the bikes they sell as they should. Especially because Ducati is a premium brand, one naturally assumes the mechanic would be skilled.

Unfortunately, he might not be skilled past changing the fork oil.
My wife has a Ninja ZX14R, bought new by a nationally (in Australia) recognised dealer. While she was signing the paperwork she looked at me and asked if I would help her set up the suspension. The sales manager looked at me and asked if I could do that stuff and when I said yes he answered wow.

Too many people make out suspension is a black art. It's not, it's a science.

Sag is easy to set, and once set you can forget about it for a while. Sag sets the bike level with adequate suspension extension and compression for road use. The idea of suspension is to keep the tyre in contact with the road at all times, the added benefit is a smoother rider for the rider. If the suspension is doing its stuff and the bike is travelling in a straight line with no upwards or downward movement, you have reached suspension nirvana.

Even with limited knowledge, taking it a step at a time (only adjust one thing at a time), and recording your settings will help you understand what is happening. Know the symptoms of too much of what you are doing, and when you start experiencing them go back the other way. I put some stuff up I think was made a sticky. When you get the settings at each end of what works, pick the middle setting and try adjusting something else. When you've adjusted front and rear compression and rebound damping, start all over again. If you keep notes I guarantee you will learn and become more sensitive to what's happening.

If you feel unsafe, immediately wind back the setting by two clicks. And, if you make notes right from the start you can revert to original settings. If it is a second-hand bike (and I know your's isn't) start with the settings from the owner's manual.

Reactions: nammers

Premium Member
Thank you! And the ride home was actually way better than my test ride. I'm guessing you're a fellow white owner?
Nah, Rodders has got the titanium grey, which looks absolutely gorgeous.

And some markets could get the S in grey. Lucky, lucky, bastards...

• Love
Reactions: NothingClever

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My wife has a Ninja ZX14R, bought new by a nationally (in Australia) recognised dealer. While she was signing the paperwork she looked at me and asked if I would help her set up the suspension. The sales manager looked at me and asked if I could do that stuff and when I said yes he answered wow.

Too many people make out suspension is a black art. It's not, it's a science.

Sag is easy to set, and once set you can forget about it for a while. Sag sets the bike level with adequate suspension extension and compression for road use. The idea of suspension is to keep the tyre in contact with the road at all times, the added benefit is a smoother rider for the rider. If the suspension is doing its stuff and the bike is travelling in a straight line with no upwards or downward movement, you have reached suspension nirvana.

Even with limited knowledge, taking it a step at a time (only adjust one thing at a time), and recording your settings will help you understand what is happening. Know the symptoms of too much of what you are doing, and when you start experiencing them go back the other way. I put some stuff up I think was made a sticky. When you get the settings at each end of what works, pick the middle setting and try adjusting something else. When you've adjusted front and rear compression and rebound damping, start all over again. If you keep notes I guarantee you will learn and become more sensitive to what's happening.

If you feel unsafe, immediately wind back the setting by two clicks. And, if you make notes right from the start you can revert to original settings. If it is a second-hand bike (and I know your's isn't) start with the settings from the owner's manual.
Sounds like I need to fly you to Texas!

Premium Member
Sounds like I need to fly you to Texas!
Keep your eyes and ears open for Dave Moss. There are other race suspension people as well. They'd do a better job than me, they've been doing it for years!

It'd be cheaper than my business class flights and five-star accommodation requirements too.
Azure Font Sky Gas Electric blue

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keep your eyes and ears open for Dave Moss. There are other race suspension people as well. They'd do a better job than me, they've been doing it for years!

It'd be cheaper than my business class flights and five-star accommodation requirements too. View attachment 46152
Checked his website, don't see him visiting Houston. Does anyone here know of a place in Houston that is recommended for suspension/sag tuning?

Registered
Congrats! Glad you went with V1 moto there awesome. I went with the quad lock mount with the vibration eliminator adaptor connected to the inside of the left handle bar tube. Maybe you can see it first hand at a Desmo meet up on Thursday. 馃憡馃徎馃槉

Join us tomorrow night at 7:30pm at Fellini Caffe in Rice Village for coffee and catching up, then KSU at 8:15pm for a short city ride.

Afterwards we'll go eat at Velvet Taco on Washington around 8:45 pm.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts