Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my bike yesterday and while cleaning the chain I discovered three o'rings were missing. Two were completely gone and the third was hanging on by a thread. The bike's only done 14,000 kms and the chain is well lubed and looked after etc. I've never come across this on my previous bikes. Anyone else had chain issues?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Hmmm. well you have to change the chain at least. This is not a common problem and if it was me I would investigate the front sprocket and seen if maybe there is some play in it or the teeth are off centre? Just guessing but im thinking other than a defective chain maybe the front sprocket isn't lined with the links. are the o rings missing on the same side or both ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback! Yes Rhino, all three are missing from the same side. Interestingly, I phoned the bike shop today to order a new chain and they asked me to bring the bike in to view the chain and then they'll have a chat to Ducati. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was cleaning my bike yesterday and while cleaning the chain I discovered three o'rings were missing. Two were completely gone and the third was hanging on by a thread. The bike's only done 14,000 kms and the chain is well lubed and looked after etc. I've never come across this on my previous bikes. Anyone else had chain issues?
Yeah my oem chain decided to explode a bunch of the rollers. That was around 10,000miles

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting an RK Gold X Ring 530 chain fitted next week. Anyone tried one of these? Looks pretty cool in gold and the 530 is a heavier weight than standard. Other than that, I don't know sh#t about chains!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Getting an RK Gold X Ring 530 chain fitted next week. Anyone tried one of these? Looks pretty cool in gold and the 530 is a heavier weight than standard. Other than that, I don't know sh#t about chains!
530? you're upgrading to bigger sprockets too? I thought the fit was 520.

I've only purchased EK chains.

·
Registered
882 Posts
530 isn’t a heavier weight, it’s a different size. Well, it is heavier because it’s bigger but it’s not the right chain for your bike. May want to do some more reading :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I think the bike shop has cocked that up! I think I read on here somewhere that the Supersport chain is a 520 or was it 525?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yes it a 520 as standard, 5/8" x 1/4".
Chain sizes are based on 1/8" increments. So a 530 chain is 5/8" x 3/8" and a 525 is 5/8" x 5/16" (5/16 = 2.5 x 1/8)
I could see some folks changing to 525 chain and sprockets but a 530 would be far too heavy and possibly with clearance issues.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feedback! A mate of mine who also has a Supersport, had a similar chain issue as me and the shop fitted a 525 chain, without changing the sprockets. As far as I'm aware it's all fine. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
525 chain is 1/8 wider that a 520. Running over the same sprockets.

I suppose it's anyone's guess how it will work out. I would guess the sprockets will be worn soon, perhaps the chain as well?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! A mate of mine who also has a Supersport, had a similar chain issue as me and the shop fitted a 525 chain, without changing the sprockets. As far as I'm aware it's all fine. Any thoughts on that?
Why are you resisting getting the correct chain for the bike? There is absolutely no reason not to.

Will the 525 work? It should, but there is no upside to be had.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not resisting getting the correct chain, the problem is the bike shop keeps giving me options that everyone seems to be confirming aren't correct. I don't know why they aren't planning on fitting a 520, but now that I've had some feedback on here, I'll certainly be asking the question Monday morning!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm not resisting getting the correct chain, the problem is the bike shop keeps giving me options that everyone seems to be confirming aren't correct. I don't know why they aren't planning on fitting a 520, but now that I've had some feedback on here, I'll certainly be asking the question Monday morning!
The bike shop isn’t giving you options, they are trying to sell and install wrong parts. It’s like walking into a tire shop, needing 18” tires for your car and they come out with a 20” to sell you, then a 19” which neither are options unless you replace the rims (or sprockets in this case).

Sheesh, man, find a different shop, these guys seem like they know NOTHING about motorcycles and how they operate. They should be giving you options of types that directly relate to cost: o-ring, x-ring, brands, colors, lightweight, standard, etc. but not sizes. That’s just crazy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts