Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
411 Posts
Clipped master links are usually only used on low power motorcycles (like a R3 or such). I'd stick with a riveted master link.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
What would you recommend to remove all the grease/gunk off the sprocket and chain guard area?

I’d like to make this area look show room condition if possible.
Kerosene, a soft chain brush, and compressed air.

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
411 Posts
Please just don't let the kerosene soak. Wipe it off again as quick as possible, as it can penetrate past the X rings and once that happens your chain is as good as dead.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just want to clean all the grease n grime from the sprocket area, hub area and anywhere else in those areas. I’m looking forward to a fresh start as the original owner wasn’t the best with maintenance. I bought mine with 2K on it.

Just put a new rear on, front is 75%, new chain n sprockets - it will be a new bike.

·
Administrator
10,400 Posts
@93Octane There are many equally good approaches to cleaning and lubing the chain, the main thing is to keep it clean and lubed, while being careful not to damage the O rings as @Invincible mentions above.

A small bit of this product with a rag and toothbrush, goes a long way, and makes it a quick task to clean and lube the chain and sprockets, for my bikes, every 200 miles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thank you. I'm ok with chain cleaning, its more of the stuff on the swing arm and behind the front sprocket, any junk on the rear sprocket hubs etc... I figured since everything is off, why not a good detail since I'm in there.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Kerosene (or WD40 which about the same stuff) + rag to clean the chain. I've been using gear oil lately and find the chain stays much cleaner than gunky chain dressing.

It's fine to use it to clean the wheel, sprocket and swingarm too. (Just keep it off the brakes and take a few test stops to clean the brake pads). After it's clean you might some spray cleaner like Plexus is give it a clean wax finish.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The job is almost complete. I have one question to ask before I finish. It’s not a hard job but definitely lots of ambiguity doing it your first time.

- How do you stop the front sprocket from spinning when torquing the bolt? What are the specs?

One tip when taking off the chain, is that it’s much easier to grind off the mushroom heads on the existing master link. I broke one of the push pins.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts