Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am interested in your opinion on swapping the rear stock tyre from : Pirelli Diablo Rosso III 180/55 ZR17 to : Pirelli Diablo Rosso III 190/55 ZR17 despite the obvious 10mm extra width in the tyre I cant see there would be any noticeable change in speedo or handling. (Technically the 180 should turn in quicker but I don't think I would notice) I know the 190 should distribute heat better in aggressive riding conditions and a big fat Tyre with a tail tidy does look Goooood >:)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi guys I am interested in your opinion on swapping the rear stock tyre from : Pirelli Diablo Rosso III 180/55 ZR17 to : Pirelli Diablo Rosso III 190/55 ZR17 despite the obvious 10mm extra width in the tyre I cant see there would be any noticeable change in speedo or handling. (Technically the 180 should turn in quicker but I don't think I would notice) I know the 190 should distribute heat better in aggressive riding conditions and a big fat Tyre with a tail tidy does look Goooood >:)
The 190 section tire would be taller, but that may not affect the speedo reading if that's coming from the front tire area. Do what you like, but know the engineers at Ducati made the best decision for ride/handling with the 180 tire.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have a CBR with a 190 and I do feel the difference in turning when riding my Monster which has a 180. Of course, the bikes do weigh and carry their weight differently as well.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The 190 section tire would be taller, but that may not affect the speedo reading if that's coming from the front tire area. Do what you like, but know the engineers at Ducati made the best decision for ride/handling with the 180 tire.
Agree with this comment and I cant see it making any improvements at all, a bigger tyre doesn't mean better grip.
Moto 3 bikes on their skinny tyres have faster cornering speeds than Moto GP bikes.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sticking with the same tire would mean that you are "pinching" the wider tire onto the rear wheel. This will result in a tire with a rounder profile that will most likely translate into feeling more nimble tipping in and faster transitioning side to side. The overall rounder profile will reduce the size of the contact patch across the entire tire width of the tire. The narrower center profile will accelerate centerline wear on the tire if you are doing a lot of straight line riding and the smaller side contact will reduce cornering traction but will increase the lean angle to the edge of the tire.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Sticking with the same tire would mean that you are "pinching" the wider tire onto the rear wheel. This will result in a tire with a rounder profile that will most likely translate into feeling more nimble tipping in and faster transitioning side to side. The overall rounder profile will reduce the size of the contact patch across the entire tire width of the tire. The narrower center profile will accelerate centerline wear on the tire if you are doing a lot of straight line riding and the smaller side contact will reduce cornering traction but will increase the lean angle to the edge of the tire.
nice bit of education for the guys :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
7,816 Posts
Would not recommend changing the tire size...but as I recall there is a way to recalibrate the speedo if diameter changes... see manual.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Whoa...too technical of a read for me this morning. But, I think the SS would look better with a 190 rear, but I understand that it will handle better with a 180. My N1K has a 190 vs the 180 on the Hyper and the visual difference is huge. The N1K looks fat and awesome back there as opposed to the Hyper's more sedate look. I mean, it looks way more than the 10mm actual difference. This could be exacerbated by the fact that the Rosso II's are a narrower tire, in general, as opposed to the N1K's Pilot Road 2's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 2100 miles and the center wear bar is not quite flush yet. If I would have planned ahead I would have a new one waiting to put on this weekend. I don't have the correct spacers to balance the wheel either. Better get ordering.

I didn't read about rear wheel removal so I didn't realize the two pipes came off separately. Guess I better open my eyes and not turn the throttle so hard :-\

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Has anyone been able to remove the rear wheel without taking off the exhaust? I am about due for a rear tire.

Thanks Frank
Ah, I recall that when I was messing around the back end. Jeesh, what came to my mind was please no puncture. Fixing a puncture or changing the tyre requires the cat to come off (more [email protected] tools to be carried). Crap design, but those worries are now gone coz I have the akra race.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Ah, I recall that when I was messing around the back end. Jeesh, what came to my mind was please no puncture. Fixing a puncture or changing the tyre requires the cat to come off (more [email protected] tools to be carried). Crap design, but those worries are now gone coz I have the akra race.
Why does the cat need to come off? Just removing slip-ons creates enough room, doesnt it?

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Why does the cat need to come off? Just removing slip-ons creates enough room, doesnt it?
I can no longer check but you could well be right, I didn't need to pull it out all the way but I know it was limited by the cat / silencer. Needs further investigation. But even having to remove the silencers is a poor design.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I can no longer check but you could well be right, I didn't need to pull it out all the way but I know it was limited by the cat / silencer. Needs further investigation. But even having to remove the silencers is a poor design.
Of course you can check, just read the manual that you have for the bike. Why do people make assumptions and give advice when they themselves don't know?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts