Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was riding yesterday and my check engine light came on immediately after refueling. I mean, off when I switched off the bike, and on as soon as I restarted after filling up. Has anyone experienced this issue, where spillover goes into the catcher, fills, and then kicks on the check engine light? I haven't been "topping off", but I may have misjudged how much fuel I was putting in, and it does have about 10,000 miles, so maybe time enough to fill it up I suppose. Almost seems too coincidental.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check engine has never been activated on mine afternoon fueling or otherwise (thank goodness)...
Mine had once when the exhaust valve got stuck open, so this will be the second time. I wish I had the diagnostic equipment myself to check it. If it is the catcher, I should be able to replace that myself fairly easy.

·
Super Moderator
5,823 Posts
As I recall, @Derek had once suggested removing the plate in front of the valve that will expose the cable that can be jiggled as one possible way to free it up the valve.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,613 Posts
If you take the cover off you can easily access the valve. I had the check engine light come on several times but the valve and cable were always free to move. Since fitting the Termi and a simple return spring in place of the valve the Check engine light has remained off.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi guys,

I was riding yesterday and my check engine light came on immediately after refueling. I mean, off when I switched off the bike, and on as soon as I restarted after filling up. Has anyone experienced this issue, where spillover goes into the catcher, fills, and then kicks on the check engine light? I haven't been "topping off", but I may have misjudged how much fuel I was putting in, and it does have about 10,000 miles, so maybe time enough to fill it up I suppose. Almost seems too coincidental.
The same happened to me yesterday when I filled up.

Did you find out what the cause was?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The same happened to me yesterday when I filled up.

Did you find out what the cause was?
I did have the exhaust valve go, but I resolved that issue by removing the exhaust (the Termi comes with a bypass of sorts) and had my ECU flashed, deleting the exhaust valve to boot. My fuel gauge goes randomly on the fritz, but I haven't had the check engine light come on since.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I did have the exhaust valve go, but I resolved that issue by removing the exhaust (the Termi comes with a bypass of sorts) and had my ECU flashed, deleting the exhaust valve to boot. My fuel gauge goes randomly on the fritz, but I haven't had the check engine light come on since.
Thanks Ace. I got an OBD reader and it says its the exhaust valve. I've switched of the engine light a few times but it keeps coming back on.

I was going to lube the cable myself but Ducati or the previous owner had knackered one of the allen bolt heads on the cover, so I'm booking her in to get it sorted under warranty.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks Ace. I got an OBD reader and it says its the exhaust valve. I've switched of the engine light a few times but it keeps coming back on.

I was going to lube the cable myself but Ducati or the previous owner had knackered one of the allen bolt heads on the cover, so I'm booking her in to get it sorted under warranty.
Same thing happened to me, with the cover bolt. Had to resort to welding on another bolt to get it off. Pain in the arse as of course was the screw on the bottom. Seems like the bolts Ducati use is of subpar quality in many places, at least on my bike, as it also happened with one of the bolts on the exhaust pipe cover.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The bolt heads are a bit soft, I resorted to using a Torx head bit which gave more grip I then replaced the screws with stainless ones. Also on mine one of the threaded clips that the screws thread into just fell away in half, it was rusted through, luckily I had a few of the correct size, the bike was only about 18 months old at the time too, Ducati definitely need to spend a couple of bob, cents/euros, etc., and put decent fasteners on.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The bolt heads are a bit soft, I resorted to using a Torx head bit which gave more grip I then replaced the screws with stainless ones. Also on mine one of the threaded clips that the screws thread into just fell away in half, it was rusted through, luckily I had a few of the correct size, the bike was only about 18 months old at the time too, Ducati definitely need to spend a couple of bob, cents/euros, etc., and put decent fasteners on.
A dab of anti-seize would have helped as well!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts