Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey riders out there. Wondering what y'all do for cleaning rear rim. Really a lot of gunk on the rear rim, break dust and grease make a really nasty bit of gue that doesn't come off with normal washing. Have used varsol in the past, not sure if it will dull the red finish on these rims. Ideas?

·
Registered
340 Posts
S100 Total Cycle Cleaner. WD 40 for tar spots. Chemical Brothers Wheel Cleaner.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Use gear oil on the chain. Clean the the wheel with Awesome or wd40. Use Pink Stuff to "wax it". After you ride it after you lubed the chain with gear oil, clean again per above.

Make sure you use gear oil to lube the chain. Then clean the the wheel. (y)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all, learned a lot tonight. Products I never knew of after all these years of riding.
Cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
To be honest, I wipe mine down with just a rag. If you keep up with it, you never have to clean heavy gunk. I just got a rear stand so cleaning the wheel is very easy(I also have a front stand).

If you don’t have a rear stand an easy alternative is a wheel cleaning stand. I got mine on Amazon for 25$. It works pretty well.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,660 Posts
WD40 or cheaper - white spirit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WD40 or cheaper - white spirit.
I'm not sure what white spirit is but it looks like it is very similar to varsol when I googled it? I've used varsol to remove almost any stain or solvent in the building industry for 40 years without it bothering finishes of any kind. It's really inexpensive as well. Wouldn't have thought of WD40 so I'll try that as well. To LowRyter's point, need to "wax" it after cleaning to make sure your surfaces are protected. Cheers to all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rubbing Alcohol and a mircofibre clothkeeps my rear wheel looking nice and shiny.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Use paint thinner and finish with matte finish detail spray. (My wheels are finished in matte clear coat).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use Turtle Wax bug and tar remover. It's made for painted vehicle surfaces so it's safe while also leaving a protective layer all in one pass. Just spray it on a cloth so I don't risk any overspray on the tires or rear brake rotor.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,660 Posts
I'm not sure what white spirit is but it looks like it is very similar to varsol when I googled it? I've used varsol to remove almost any stain or solvent in the building industry for 40 years without it bothering finishes of any kind. It's really inexpensive as well. Wouldn't have thought of WD40 so I'll try that as well. To LowRyter's point, need to "wax" it after cleaning to make sure your surfaces are protected. Cheers to all.
White spirit is turpentine substitute used for thinning paint and cleaning brushes. It's a mineral spirit similar to Stoddard solvent which is the main constituent of WD40.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
White spirit is turpentine substitute used for thinning paint and cleaning brushes. It's a mineral spirit similar to Stoddard solvent which is the main constituent of WD40.
Hey thanks
That makes sense, and why WD40 would work. I've been on the right course then using varsol.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Agree regarding WD40 but a good spray soap like Awesome works well. Actually, I start with WD40 to get rid of the grease and then Awesome to get rid of the WD40, then I spray on the Pink Stuff.

But the other lesson is to use gear oil to lube the chain rather than the spray sticky stuff like chain waxes and dressings. It only took me 53 years to learn this bit about the gear oil. That kid on Fort9 is pretty good.

BTW- WD40 is an excellent chain cleaner since it's essentially kerosene which is also great. But if you use gear oil rather than wax, the chain stays much cleaner.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree regarding WD40 but a good spray soap like Awesome works well. Actually, I start with WD40 to get rid of the grease and then Awesome to get rid of the WD40, then I spray on the Pink Stuff.

But the other lesson is to use gear oil to lube the chain rather than the spray sticky stuff like chain waxes and dressings. It only took me 53 years to learn this bit about the gear oil. That kid on Fort9 is pretty good.

BTW- WD40 is an excellent chain cleaner since it's essentially kerosene which is also great. But if you use gear oil rather than wax, the chain stays much cleaner.
Thanks, I'm going to try gear oil when my spray runs out, have almost a full can. I googled Pink Stuff and only a paste shows up. Don't want a paste. The other thing that pops up is Muc Off which is pink. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Thanks, I'm going to try gear oil when my spray runs out, have almost a full can. I googled Pink Stuff and only a paste shows up. Don't want a paste. The other thing that pops up is Muc Off which is pink. Thoughts?
This is about $7 at Cyclegear. Same stuff as Plexis and Pledge but cheaper. I use it to clean my bike after I ride. I seldom use soap and water.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Plus one on the White Spirit (y) Cheap as chips in the UK for a 4 litre container which lasts ages

Reactions: Paddlefoot64
1 - 18 of 18 Posts