Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Posting this for those who might be looking for a lower clip-ons option for the Supersport. I know several owners here will simply say "nope, I have no interest - spent my years on superbikes and don't want the pain...get a superbike if you want a superbike etc." But if you're like me and you want a sportier clip on position for this bike, read on...

I'm a tall guy with long arms and as a result I find the stock clip-ons sit too high and it has me sitting too upright vs. my preferred stretch. Looking at the stock clip-ons I started wondering how easy it might be to buy new clamps but use the existing bars in order to allow for a quick swap if desired - i.e. without having to change grips and remove all the controls etc.

I ordered a set of 57mm Woodcraft clamps (I have a Supersport S with the Ohlins forks, the non-S would be smaller) and took a shot. Amazingly I ordered these on Monday of this week and they shipped from Boston to Ottawa in 2 days. Just to put in perspective how quick that is, I've been waiting on another package that shipped in my home province (let alone home country), and that one has been in process for 6 weeks!

The good news is that our stock clip on bars can be simply added to the Woodcraft clamps, meaning the swap will take all of 10 mins to perform once you've set it up the first time. Here's how it looks with the Woodcraft clamp on the clutch side and stock on the brake side:

1st pic is a close up of the Woodcraft clamp using the stock clip on bars. As noted by another member in their post regarding clip-ons, I might raise the forks slightly in the triple clamp but for now the forks come about 1/2 way up the clamp.

Here's a view from the front showing the difference in height (stock on throttle side - left of pic, Woodcraft on clutch side - right of pic):

Haven't ridden with the new setup, but just sitting on the bike it gives me a better reach. From a steering lock perspective it touches the tank right so I have a few final adjustments to be made. The best part is how quickly I can swap back to stock if needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looking good! Would you take a picture from the side and from the 3/4 too? I was kinda curious how this sporty-looking beauty looked with proper sport clip-ons. I'm also tall and have your same feeling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey @msbagpiper, it looks great. What the brand of the windshield you have? Thx
Thanks, my windshield is the powerbronze double bubble dark tint. Works well, I never extend it up - provides enough protection in the down position.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking good! Would you take a picture from the side and from the 3/4 too? I was kinda curious how this sporty-looking beauty looked with proper sport clip-ons. I'm also tall and have your same feeling.
Will do....away from the bike right now, but should be able to later this coming week.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks good! I was wondering how I might feel with slightly lower clamps but I'm worried about steering lock and hitting the tank.
When I'm moving the bike on foot either walking at the side of it or paddling whilst sitting on it, my thumb gets caught beween the bars and the tank

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks great! i was thinking getting a 3" riser clip on from under the triple clamp that will lower the bar 1.5" I think. not sure about clearance.
how secure is your set up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Perfect (y), I have been looking for an option like this for a little while and wondered how to solve the issues associated with lowering the bars. I did check out Woodcraft site but don't recall seeing those (do you have a part No#:).
I have ridden a 959 a few times and same as you prefer the SSS characteristics a lot better but was looking for something in between the stock SSS and 959. 6ft and over 50 Y.O. Keep us updated on you final adjustments.

Also noticed in your pics that it is red along bottom of your headlight?? Did you paint it or wrap it??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some updated pics for those interested:

Side shot:

Front 3/4 view:

...and a shot from last weekend ride:

Couple of notes now that I've found my ideal position for the clip ons:

- I purchased the Woodcraft 57mm standard 3 piece clip-ons (i.e. no rise) - these are for the Ohlins forks on the S model. If you have a non-S then it's a smaller size, not sure of the exact number. Woodcraft has "riser" clip-ons but I couldn't find anything in the 57mm size and the whole reason for getting these was to not have a rise!

- What's important to note is the Supersport's top triple clamp has a distinctive "corner" on the outside of each fork. In other words it doesn't just wrap around the forks like a typical superbike, as each of the stock clip on risers (OEM) has 2 bolts securing them to the triple tree. The base needed for the outside bolt creates a good "corner edge" on the triple tree (see pic below, location of bolts circled in red).

When you install the Woodcraft clamp over the fork, you can rotate the clamp to whatever angle you desire to set the sweep (i.e. what angle the bars come back towards you). However, b/c of this "corner edge" on the triple tree, there's interference with the clutch and brake assemblies at certain angles.

- If you look at the pic above on the left side where I've placed the Woodcraft clamp, there's a gap in the clamp around the 12 o'clock position (i.e. where the two pieces come together). Using that gap as a reference, I can set the gap at 12 o'clock (picture above) or 2 o'clock but setting to 1 o'clock would cause interference with the lower part of the clutch assembly. One option is rotate the clutch and brake levers up to clear, but then you have a bizarre angle on those levers, if anything I prefer these to be rotated forward and down which creates more conflict with that edge.

- Luckily I found the ideal position for me is right where the clutch and brake start to touch the bottom side of that corner, so the result is similar to what you see above, just past 12 o'clock on the left and just shy on the right side. Setting to 2 o'clock makes the bars too flat (not enough sweep). Setting to 1 o'clock would probably provide the best compromise as it would give more steering lock range (more on that below), but 12 o'clock is actually the most natural feeling in my view.

- The bars themselves (which you don't need to change anything) also have the ability to slide in or out of the Woodcraft clamp holder (i.e. telescope), so I positioned them a bit further out to provide some additional clearance.

- You won't be able to go full lock to lock on the steering with this setup as the clutch and brake levers ultimately touch the fairing by the instrument cluster. It doesn't cause any issue while riding as you don't really use full lock to lock at speed. The only exception would be garage/parking lot maneuvering, so you need to keep in mind there might be a few 3 point turns in tight locations. This also means you can't use the steering lock, so if you're parking outside or in places where you can't take that risk then it's a no go.

- I suspect using a clip on with some degree of rise might help some of these issues (i.e. Bonamici, Apex). Another member who used the Bonamici's noted he could use the full range of steering, but the steering lock itself wasn't usable.

- If I was going on a longer trip I could switch back to the stock risers in about 5 mins, very easy.

Reactions: Miweber929 and Ed K

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also noticed in your pics that it is red along bottom of your headlight?? Did you paint it or wrap it??
I found a vinyl that's a 99% match for the Ducati red and wrapped the bottom of the headlight. I posted another topic called "a bit of work on the face" which details the project.

Reactions: Ed K
1 - 11 of 11 Posts