Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some comparisons to Monsters here, which has me wondering...

I rode an '07 M695 for a few years and gave it up in favor of an ST2 because I always felt cramped and uncomfortable (knees/wrists) after a few hours on the Monster. I find the ST much more comfortable.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone can draw any comparisons between the ST series and the SS?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How tall are you? Since that does play a roll in the experience you're reporting here about the ST2.

I hate to say it but with how the bars are on the SS, you might have a similar experience on long rides.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 5'10. With the Monster bars, I think the greater swept back angle was a bigger source for discomfort than the actual height. Knees were definitely more cramped though...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Best bet is to wait until you can sit on one.

However if you can get the chance to sit on a BMW R1200RS the riding position is almost identical.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 98 ST2 and a red Supersport S. The ST2 has 1" bar risers and with those on the position is feels the same. In stock mode the bars on the ST2 are lower and uncomfortable for me after a few hours.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've read some comparisons to Monsters here, which has me wondering...

I rode an '07 M695 for a few years and gave it up in favor of an ST2 because I always felt cramped and uncomfortable (knees/wrists) after a few hours on the Monster. I find the ST much more comfortable.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone can draw any comparisons between the ST series and the SS?

Thanks much.
The SS clearly feels lighter than the ST, with quicker crisper handling, but not by a huge amount. The biggest difference I noticed was the tank size lending an overall sense of compactness; narrower and much shorter reach to the bars. Smaller, lighter fairing and absence of frame aft of the seat also gives more mass centralization, providing the SS with the handling edge with less oscillating moment. On the track the ST was a pogo-stick at anything approaching race pace. That said, I thought the ST on the street was pretty near perfect for real-world handling and power band, with a solid comfortable ride.

The SS? A compromise. A very sporty touring bike.

Handlebars? The first thing I did with my ST2 was ditch the factory non-adjustable 'clip-ons' and replace the top triple clamp, allowing an infinite choice of bars. I hate the idea of the 'one-size-fits-all' school of ergonomics:

I expect to do something very similar to the Supersport for street riding/touring, while retaining the high clip-ons for track use. Although honestly, the 'superbike' bars pose no problem on the track. Might be as simple as bolting conventional bar mounts through the existing mounting holes in the SS top clamp.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, PhotoBucket cut me off, and it's not worth $60-100 /yr to imbed photos from them, so I'll have to replace all my previous photos with thumbnails. Here's the ST2 handlebar setup referenced in the above post:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Well, PhotoBucket cut me off, and it's not worth $60-100 /yr to imbed photos from them, so I'll have to replace all my previous photos with thumbnails.
I wish it were that cheap. Last I checked (2 weeks ago), they wanted $400US to have the ability to third party link!! F'em!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Regarding PhotoBucket, I've switched over to Imgur which is free, works a treat, exactly like Photobucket only even more intuitive, and if anything faster to load. I say GFYPB.

A thrird-party linked photo from imgur, just for the heck of it ...... (had to find something motorcycle and ducati related), though it was a nice seat the rider was on.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Regarding PhotoBucket, I've switched over to Imgur which is free, works a treat, exactly like Photobucket only even more intuitive, and if anything faster to load. I say GFYPB.

A thrird-party linked photo from imgur, just for the heck of it ...... (had to find something motorcycle and ducati related), though it was a nice seat the rider was on.
Let's hear it for Imgur!! That's the exact Bottom the Italians had in mind when they designed the Ducati passenger seat. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I don't know if I could just sit there with my back to her...even if I was getting ready to race. I would prefer to have her directly in front me...sitting on my lap would even be ok. >:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts