Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Still waiting to hear from the dealer but am going to question the master cylinder with them. I did file the brake issue with the NTHAB. No further inquiry from them but did get an auto-email that my information was received.
Where are you in Ohio? We were in West Chester near Cincinnati but just moved to Knoxville, TN in mid-January. Have aging parents that live near Knoxville and after 20+ years of not living close was time to get closer to help out and let them be able to spend more time with the grandchildren.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
At least it was with the rear brake. I blew the front brake line on my Suzuki at a track day. Had to ride home with rear brake only. Man that was scary. The rear is very weak and never had enough force to lock the brake.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh man, that would be scary. Glad to hear to you got back safely. Agree, glad it wasn’t the front on mine and that I identified it in the garage and not on the road. I also let the shop know about several members posting that the master cylinder ultimately had to be replaced. Hoping to prevent down time in a month or two if their thought was just to do a line bleed. Will see. Is new shop for me as I just moved to a new state so don’t know these folks very well yet.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Oh man, that would be scary. Glad to hear to you got back safely. Agree, glad it wasn’t the front on mine and that I identified it in the garage and not on the road. I also let the shop know about several members posting that the master cylinder ultimately had to be replaced. Hoping to prevent down time in a month or two if their thought was just to do a line bleed. Will see. Is new shop for me as I just moved to a new state so don’t know these folks very well yet.
It was tons more scary when I was barreling down to that curve and had no brakes. Thank goodness the instructors put up a small chicane on the straightaway, otherwise I'd been going 100+. I went from complaining about going too slow, to thinking they saved me from a really bad accident.

saw this on a Guzzi board today (don't know it's true): Kevin Schwantz once said, "I used the rear brake once - I remember it well because I crashed".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Still waiting to hear from the dealer but am going to question the master cylinder with them. I did file the brake issue with the NTHAB. No further inquiry from them but did get an auto-email that my information was received.
Where are you in Ohio? We were in West Chester near Cincinnati but just moved to Knoxville, TN in mid-January. Have aging parents that live near Knoxville and after 20+ years of not living close was time to get closer to help out and let them be able to spend more time with the grandchildren.
We are just east of Columbus. Makes sense to be closer to the parents for sure! Luckily we aren’t more than 90 mins from them. May have to cruise down your way for some Tennessee twisties!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
There’s more than one mention on the official Kevin Schwartz website of his consistent use of rear brake. It sounds as if he used the rear brake a lot on dirt but had challenges when transitioning that style to road racing.

Kevin Schwantz - The World's Champion - Yoshi Years, Page 5

General - Schwantz Racing
I haven't ridden in dirt since I was a teen following cow paths. I'd think that the rear brake is pretty important on dirt since you wouldn't want the front end to wash out due to overbraking.

I once went down on my California EV in a steep gravel parking lot when a Harley took a lunge in front of me. I grabbed the front and down I went. Thankfully the guy stopped before I would've hit before going down. All in blink of an eye. I thought the bike was going to be totalled and I was going to the hospital. I got up, brushed myself off, rode back to the trailer. The other rider left but really it was just an accident.

With a new crash bar, the bike cleaned up and my big toe healed in couple of weeks. Had a blow out on the toy hauler on the way home. The spare didn't hold air.

All in all, still a great trip to Colorado. :laugh:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Last year my bike came out of winter storage with the rear brake not working at all. Is that what happened to yours? It took a bit for mine to come around but it did. It had just dried out in storage I guess. Is just fine now

·
Registered
48 Posts
Last year my bike came out of winter storage with the rear brake not working at all. Is that what happened to yours? It took a bit for mine to come around but it did. It had just dried out in storage I guess. Is just fine now
This just happened to me two days ago when I shoveled a path through the snow from my garage to the street and took a quick spin. The rear brake was not there. I can’t believe all the people who say they ride without it. The bike felt so much more squirrelly going with the front only.

Did you have to bleed it or anything to bring it back?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I still think its Glazed Brake pads, this can happen in seconds and you will have zero brakes even when the calliper is closing. Remove the pads clean them with brake cleaner and give them a sand.

·
Super Moderator
5,400 Posts
Hi folks,
Just got an update from my shop (almost 3 weeks later). Ducati corporate has informed them to replace the rear brake master cylinder.
Thank you for the update. We've had a few other reported cases over the years of this happening.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi folks,
Just got an update from my shop (almost 3 weeks later). Ducati corporate has informed them to replace the rear brake master cylinder.
see, like me (page 1) total turnaround time for mine was 6 weeks from submitting warranty, to Ducati agreeing, to Brembo supplying. But Italy in crisis with the corona virus so good luck, supply chains disrupted..quarantining stock and that is just us in Europe. Maybe ask your dealer to be nice and swap one with a bike they have in stock in the interim >:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Good point about the additional supply chain disruptions due to COVID-19 across “the pond”. Nice idea about swapping one out from a new bike on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My bike coming out of winter storage has no rear brake. If I pump the living crap out of it it eventually builds pressure. I tried bleeding it and no air came out. I called my "local" dealer (1.5hrs away) and they said no recalls right now. He said that it's probably air trapped in the middle somewhere and it would be an hour of labor plus the bottle of fluid...

·
Registered
221 Posts
My bike coming out of winter storage has no rear brake. If I pump the living crap out of it it eventually builds pressure. I tried bleeding it and no air came out. I called my "local" dealer (1.5hrs away) and they said no recalls right now. He said that it's probably air trapped in the middle somewhere and it would be an hour of labor plus the bottle of fluid...
Try securing their brake completely pressed for a couple of days like others have discussed. My friend’s SS had no rear brake resistance after sitting a long time but was fixed after he did the procedure. My rear brake was getting soft as well and I was able to firm it up using the same technique.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My rear brake was soft as well this spring but a bleed was able to firm it up nicely. But I did have to remove caliper and rotate it up to bring bleed screw to top otherwise no dice...See this thread, my post is #15

https://www.ducatisupersport939.net/forum/137-ducati-supersport-939-how/17378-bleeding-rear-brake-easy-way-2.html

·
Registered
614 Posts
All this talk about failure has made mine go mushy! Happened since last weeks ride. Will have to bleed to see if that fixes.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts