Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if anyone else has this.

2017 SS 10k miles. Kept in dry garage.
First instrument pod was replaced due cracked glass in 2018. Warranty claim.
Just noticed a 1cm lateral crack in the glass at about the 7k RPM point.
Thought it was a scratch at first but illuminating with a strong light source shows it as a crack.
Have my suspicion that this might be a combo of poor quality plastic and the same vibration that renders the mirrors useless.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not good. Have you spoke to your dealer? Maybe it can be replaced as a good will gesture by the Dealer as its out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
@Airbus330 As I recall, we’ve had only a couple of reports of this sort of thing over the years...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the same on my '17 SSS. However my clock unit was replaced a year ago via warranty. When examined closer, I can tell that the cracks (in my case there are a few but all in one spot more or less) are from the inside. And I am 100% sure no-one has damaged it from outside. Called up the Duc dealer in London and was told that it won't be a warranty job as the bike is out of warranty and the unit was changed over a year ago too... Didn't bother asking how much the replacement would cost

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
found this

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,652 Posts
found this

Good if you can get the dash apart. For some models, like the MTS1200, the dash is sealed and trying to open it up will most likely destroy it. I don't know if that the case for the SS. Some folks in the UK have done similar repairs to 1098/1198 dashes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the same on my '17 SSS. However my clock unit was replaced a year ago via warranty. When examined closer, I can tell that the cracks (in my case there are a few but all in one spot more or less) are from the inside. And I am 100% sure no-one has damaged it from outside. Called up the Duc dealer in London and was told that it won't be a warranty job as the bike is out of warranty and the unit was changed over a year ago too... Didn't bother asking how much the replacement would cost
Ducati claims a 2 yr warranty on replacement parts. Just had my mirror replaced under warranty that was previously installed under the recall. Is this not the case in the UK?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments. Couple of observations.
Like the poster above, the crack in my glass appears to be on the inside of the housing.
From previous experience I would expect a firm NO for out of warranty replacement, but I will check the date that the last one was replaced. If within 2 years, might be worth a look.
The fix on the Hypermoto looks a real gamble. £1000 to replace vs the crack. Not for me.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I ordered a nano glass protector. It won't help for internal cracking but it seems prudent anyway.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I ordered a nano glass protector. It won't help for internal cracking but it seems prudent anyway.
I bought one as well when I read about brake fluid leakage hitting it, however I never put it on. I have a sock around my reservoir now so no worries there, and now I'm wondering if applying it could negatively affect/cause the issue the OP had. Maybe best to just leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I bought one as well when I read about brake fluid leakage hitting it, however I never put it on. I have a sock around my reservoir now so no worries there, and now I'm wondering if applying it could negatively affect/cause the issue the OP had. Maybe best to just leave it alone.
why?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Fitted a nano screen protector to my dash as well, no problems at all

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I got my Nano Glass delivered today. Installed it. Seems OK. The blue protectant cover made if difficult to use the squeegee. But I reused the cover several times as protective surface putting it over air bubbles and smoothing it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts