Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering fitting crash protection to my Supersport and was wondering what peoples experiences are with them. I am looking at either R&G or Evotech.

I think I prefer the R&G non drill ones as they use the 'triangle' section of the frame as the mounting point and not any bolt holes on the bike, which to me are more succeptable to being damaged in an off.

The Evotech ones look substantial enough, but for me I feel that the actual protection point that would come into contact with the ground is a long way from the fixing point and would be more succeptable to forces which could bend the bolt and damage the bolt hole or frame?

I totally appreciate that any crash protection fitted will not offer full protection and can even cause more damage to the bike as a result of twisted frames, damaged engine mounting bolt points (where the crash protection mounting point utilises an existing engine mounting bolt hole) but fittung crash protection will help shift things in my favour.

So what's peoples experiences with crash protection on their Superpsort?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Evotech for me. Product quality & customer support are both way better. I don’t have the crash protectors so I can’t comment specifically on those but having purchased products from both companies and dealt with customer support at both companies Evotech is the only one I’d consider. When I had a problem with incorrect parts supplied for a set of R&G engine covers, their customer support was very poor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The R&G kit does not fit out the box. You need to make sure you have some m12 washers and are prepared to dress the nylon to clear the fairings.
I took them up on this and they said it would be sorted but I didn't hear anything back.

Matt

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Throbber @Matt_SSS

Thanks Guys. I have had Evotech products on previous bikes and I know their quality is first class.

I have got an Evotech Tail Tidy, Radiator Guard and Oil Cooler Guard on my Supersport, so I'll probably go with Evotech as I don't like mixing a lot of different manufacturers parts on my bike, otherwise it ends up looking like I've raided the aftermarket parts bin of loads of different manufacturers 😅

I did have R&G crash protection on my GSXR 600 and drilled the fairing side panels for it to fit. It was ok, but the only downside was whenever you needed to take the fairing off, you have to undo the mounting bolts for the crash protection

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the R&G one that requires drilling the fairing. My mechanic has done a very good job and the wholes are in precise places, so it looks quite good. I haven't dropped the bike (yet), so can't say if they work well or not, but I had R&G ones through the engine mount rod on my S4R and that one worked really well in a few slow speed crashes. Also the white R&G looks pretty good with the Duc white, so the pretty much blend in and are very unnoticeable.

Can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that the triangular design of the other crash bars make the actual contact point a bit too high, that's why I went for the drill-through-the-fairing option :)

If you're considering the non-drill version, the EvoTec ones look better quality to me, but that's just my opinion again.

Good luck

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Alf67. Any chance of a photo from side on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys,

I'd always thought that they were a good idea and was thinking that I'm a bit negligent not having them. I then went to the track (on a rider training day) with some friends the other week and saw what happens to a bike that's been put down (gently) that has them. I can assure you they don't save much and wish I had taken a photo of the damage done to this particular bike.

I talked with the trainers at the track about the incident, and their opinion was they will do more damage to a bike in an accident.

At least now I'm confident now that I won't be putting them on my bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts