Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DQS Sensor is electronic device, but it is mechanically operated. Proper co-operation of DQS and the gearbox requires a certain force on the gear change lever in order to allow the electronic switches inside the sensor to activate. In essence the DQS sensor is a force gauge that tells the ECU to cut ignition (upshifts) or to rpm match(downshifts).

On our bikes the sensor consist of two major parts, the actual sensor which is the front part, and a spring loaded actuator rod connected to the gear pedal. You can sit on the ground on the side of the bike and move the gear lever up and down to see how the rod moves in relation to the sensor. It compresses on upshifts and extends on downshifts. While moving the pedal, you will also note that the connection of these two parts is totally unprotected from the elements.

Dust and debris getting between the rod and sensor casing will eventually increase the friction and the force required to trip the sensor. If your DQS feels like it struggles a bit, misses the cut off timing or requires inordinate amount of force to shift gears, you will probably need to clean and lube the DQS rod connection. Extend the sensor mechanism by pressing the pedal and wipe it clean. Then lube the rod and excercise the lever to spread the lubricant and finally wipe away excess. I used a single drop of engine oil, which worked fine. Problem with oil is obviously it's tendency to collect more debris in future. I would think dry lubes being better, but hadn't any around.

On my bike the improvement was very clear. I only realised how crap my DQS was after it was cleaned. The smoothness highlighted the previous sticking of the gear shifts. Please test if you have sticky DQS and report your findings in here!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Will try this. My bike has less than 4000 miles on it, but this may just help with constant false neutrals I am experiencing when using the QS. I change gear and in that split second, am met with a 'free wheeling' sensation, a screaming engine, a flash of red warning lights across the dash and a rattle of gears - very off putting

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
So my DQS has been playing up for a while again !! so I deselected it from all riding modes. I am very familiar with this problem and this is my second quickshifter. I thought "Hello this sounds like an idea I should have looked at before" so I went to the shed and set about cleaning the shaft, Spraying brake cleaner while pushing it in and out, there was defiantly dirt and resistance at the start now it is clean and moving freely. I then sprayed WD40 while pushing in and out to lubricate the shaft then re selected DQS and took it for a test ride 😀 It worked. I now have a working DQS I will keep an eye on this as the DQS is Dangerous to ride with when it starts its Voodoo Sh1t thanks @Jippo

·
Registered
173 Posts
So my DQS has been playing up for a while again !! so I deselected it from all riding modes. I am very familiar with this problem and this is my second quickshifter. I thought "Hello this sounds like an idea I should have looked at before" so I went to the shed and set about cleaning the shaft, Spraying brake cleaner while pushing it in and out, there was defiantly dirt and resistance at the start now it is clean and moving freely. I then sprayed WD40 while pushing in and out to lubricate the shaft then re selected DQS and took it for a test ride 😀 It worked. I now have a working DQS I will keep an eye on this as the DQS is Dangerous to ride with when it starts its Voodoo Sh1t thanks @Jippo
Sounds like it really needs a rubber boot on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts