Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
After some test rides in 2016-2017 with different Ducatis and 2 different set-ups of SSS this year I had an issue with the standard braking.
Some history from my side: In 2008 I crashed with my old motorcycle in a corner, nothing spectacular but I broke my Scaphoid bone in my right hand. After healing the crack wasn't strong, so they put an screw in it and rebuild my bone. Now I have less flexibility and feeling in my hand.
All the bikes with major brakes I had a nice feeling, the lighter ones was for me the on/off feeling of the brake and felted like squeezing a stone instead of a brake lever.
So the feeling was a problem. The first SSS I tested was complete stock, so not my thing but the second one had race pads mounted on front. That was a difference.
After talking with the store owner and his knowledge about racing and driving, we came to a solution that is a little more drastic than just change the pads.
Rebuild the front :surprise: Instead of Brembo M4-32 radial calipers and stock cylinder, I go for the Brembo M50 and Brembo RCS brake Cylinder, The brake lines will be stock or from a Pani. On the other (clutch) side we change only the lever to match model.
Keep you guys and girls updated with photos and use of it!

Administrator
This will be interesting... 馃槂. Pics, if possible, please.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This will be interesting... 馃槂. Pics, if possible, please.
Yes, keep us posted. This will be a good buildout to follow.
I'm going to ask to make a bunch of photos from the build. So that will be arranged. Otherwise I'm going to jump in a couple of time during the rebuild.
The guys of MotoPuro are used to rebuild braking systems for track use or custom build Ducatis. So I'm confident that it will work for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a small update, without photos because it was parked between lot of other nice ducatis and impossible to make a good photo.
Last week I ordered my SSS with some personal changes, like rebuild the front braking system.
MotoPuro guys did a nice and fast job, I was there today to see how things was going and they told that the M50-calibers and RCS braking cylinder was already in house and mounted.:laugh:
It was an easy job they say, and it looks nice. The coupling lever is ordered to match this lever.
Two smaller things are the braking fluid reservoir has to be mounted on the steering (2 screws from handle-bar used) because there is no threat hole in the cylinder to mount it. And when you are used to adjust the brake lever very close to the grip there is a possibility that the Brembo lever will hit the electronic box between grip and cylinder.
For the first thing they used an other bracket and screwset to mount the reservoir. The lever is no problem for me, big hands and ride with the lever far enough from the grip.
Photo update will come next weekend I think.:nerd:

Registered
are the M50 calipers and RCS MC stock equipment on the Panni? also, will switching these out effect the ABS functionality on our bikes?

Registered
The M50 are stock Panigale calipers, they use 30mm pistons instead of the 32mm in the rest of the lineup to save unsprung weight. The smaller displacement requires a smaller 16x19 master rather than the standard Ducati 18x19 master to keep the hydraulic ratios the same. Ducati has a regular Brembo semi-radial master, the RCS is a really sweet upgrade that offers a selectable lever ratio.

It shouldn't affect the ABS at all - it's just a system that modulates line pressure based on wheel speed, it doesn't care about master or calipers.

I'm surprised the OP didn't just opt for a 18mm or 19mm RCS master with the stock calipers to tune the feel of the brakes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are the M50 calipers and RCS MC stock equipment on the Panni? also, will switching these out effect the ABS functionality on our bikes?
The M50 are stock Panigale calipers, they use 30mm pistons instead of the 32mm in the rest of the lineup to save unsprung weight. The smaller displacement requires a smaller 16x19 master rather than the standard Ducati 18x19 master to keep the hydraulic ratios the same. Ducati has a regular Brembo semi-radial master, the RCS is a really sweet upgrade that offers a selectable lever ratio.

It shouldn't affect the ABS at all - it's just a system that modulates line pressure based on wheel speed, it doesn't care about master or calipers.

I'm surprised the OP didn't just opt for a 18mm or 19mm RCS master with the stock calipers to tune the feel of the brakes.
Hi tea2jay and Psyopper,
Indeed the M50's are stock for the Pani, not the RCS.
I did the upgrade to this line-up after driving some Pani (M50's) and other Ducatis (M4-32's) And didn't had the feeling with the M4-32 like I love to have.
The RCS is also the easiest upgrade for the Pani if you want better feedback (most time on racetrack). So that is the reason to go for that and not the stock Pani master.
ABS and other electronics aren't a problem, wheel speed and pressure.

I hope to post some result fast or it will be after winter :(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all,

After al the paperwork last week and waiting for my new licence plate I could pick my SSS up last Saturday.

Small recap:
Brembo M50 calipers
Brembo RCS 19 with new brake fluid reservoir.
Original brake pads
Original Ducati SSS brake lines, except the line connecting both calipers over the wheel.

The real test of it will be for some time later, I had rain and around 8掳C during my ride back home. So no speed or brake testing weather.
but the feeling was well even at normal speed in the rain.

The clutch lever is not in the brembo catalogue yet, I will one of the first with it if they start production.

Disc brake Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part Wheel Bicycle part

Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Motorcycle accessories

Registered
Old post, I know...

but does the RCS 19 coupled with the original Brembo calipers
need a new brake fluid reservoir or a new bracket, or what?
and obviously if the calipers are not changed, there is no need for the
connecting line to be replace...
thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts