Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SS is my third Duc ,have a 1100hyper too, and it's the perfect bike for me. Fits well, handles great, makes great power, etc but I'm having a problem. I have about 2400 miles on it and about 400 miles ago the bike started this random cutting out whether under power or coasting. The center red lights on the dash light up and there is no power. It only lasts for a second or two, only once or twice, or continues to cut out randomly for 20 miles or so. I have to wait 3 weeks for the dealer to look at it and I still ride it because it never completely quits running or refuses to start. It always starts and idles fine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very irritating. Could be any number of things. Hopefully it will have generated some error codes for analysis. Let us know how it goes.

Z

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Yeah, like others, I'm curious as to the problem. Have no clue, myself. Keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
7,816 Posts
Hopefully the fault detector at the shop will identify the problem quickly... I believe this is the first instance of anyone posting this happening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took it to my local shop first and he didn't have the software for the ss but did for the 939 hyper. No error codes but it wasn't the right software and other parameters weren't right so? He suggested possibly a loose connection on the battery but it's not that easy to get to. The cutting out is so random, both in duration of the cutting out and when it will do it, I really hope the dealer can figure this out. Make it dangerous to ride. I really do like this bike. This happened shortly after a track day where it didn't miss a beat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
that is the light when the dtc starts to work. maybe there is a malfunction on the speedsensor on the frontwheel? i would check this out. mayby loosened

Reactions: Gcati937sss

·
Registered
300 Posts
Easy check might be to tape up the kick stand so there is no movement or wedge a block/bob of plasticene/blu-tack on the kill switch so neither can move.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cutting out fixed

My SS is my third Duc ,have a 1100hyper too, and it's the perfect bike for me. Fits well, handles great, makes great power, etc but I'm having a problem. I have about 2400 miles on it and about 400 miles ago the bike started this random cutting out whether under power or coasting. The center red lights on the dash light up and there is no power. It only lasts for a second or two, only once or twice, or continues to cut out randomly for 20 miles or so. I have to wait 3 weeks for the dealer to look at it and I still ride it because it never completely quits running or refuses to start. It always starts and idles fine. Any suggestions?
Finally got my S into The Motor Cafe in Sunnyvale for the cutting out problem. They checked a few things, like the quickshifter and kickstand cut off switch, and then took off the faring and found a loose connection on the battery. Problem solved. They also replaced the heat shield by the shock mount-recall item. It seems that the heat is really only a problem on the standard model because the olins use different rubber that isn't as affected by the heat. This time it was a pleasure dealing with The Motor Cafe and it's all good.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
It is an issue with the Ohlins, It doesn't cause the bump stop to melt, but when I contacted them they did mail me back to say that the action of the shock would be affected by the significant changes in temperature.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine did this twice within about 20 mins when I first got. I hadn't even had it back in for 1st service, and when I did I told the dealer about this but nothing showed up on the analyser and it's never done it since (touch wood)

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
464 Posts
Finally got my S into The Motor Cafe in Sunnyvale for the cutting out problem. They checked a few things, like the quickshifter and kickstand cut off switch, and then took off the faring and found a loose connection on the battery. Problem solved. They also replaced the heat shield by the shock mount-recall item. It seems that the heat is really only a problem on the standard model because the olins use different rubber that isn't as affected by the heat. This time it was a pleasure dealing with The Motor Cafe and it's all good.
Hey, i picked up my bike from The Motor Cafe too. best to get the heat shield, there's a photo on the forum of an ohlins bump stop starting to melt onto the spring.

are you a member of there Norcal DOC? they have a Ducati Night on the 2nd Monday of every month at Santana Row. pretty chill crowd and some really nice bikes show up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, i picked up my bike from The Motor Cafe too. best to get the heat shield, there's a photo on the forum of an ohlins bump stop starting to melt onto the spring.

are you a member of there Norcal DOC? they have a Ducati Night on the 2nd Monday of every month at Santana Row. pretty chill crowd and some really nice bikes show up.
Am/was a member and I used to go to the Ducati nights, but haven't been in a while

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine was very intermittent for several hundred miles, but then started to happen more often especially around the 4-5000 rpm range.It's a easy fix but requires removing the fairings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts