Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the stock pipe off with the required known difficulties, plus a few of my own. That was supposed to be the hard part over.

But how the hell do you get the Termi on?

The instructions say to slip it on the horizontal first, but it’s jus not possible as the connector pipe hits the swingarm.

I’ve been at it for hours and getting nowhere. I even took off the fairing to see if I could loosen the front header pipes, but they’re buried so deep in there, I can’t even see them.

I don’t know what to do. The stock exhaust is NOT going back on!

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
Check out post #530, among others here…

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
All the brave humans here who decided to change the exhaust - I see you like on this clip 😂

I'm laughing but I'm gonna be next one soon haha. GOOD LUCK, Rubicon must be passed!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s a great post, but the bit I was struggling with, he skimmed over it with barely a mention, so his must’ve slipped on without issue.

Out of pure frustration, much pent up anger and seemingly no other option, I ended up cutting 1/2” off the horizontal pipe with an angle grinder, and just removing that little bit enabled me to eventually coerce the ‘collector’ to line up with the existing horizontal pipe, no longer hitting the swingarm.

Anyway… it’s on. It’s only taken me 12 hours…

My advice to anyone thinking of taking this on… pay someone else to do it.

The GOOD news is… I’ve found a way of getting the original exhaust off without removing the O2 sensor. Video to follow.

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
This has been a challenge that several other Members have come across, too.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
lol i did warn you & it does go on without cutting 25mm off. little wiggle wiggle and stabby stabby pizza box :ROFLMAO: So i will have to go and look at mine to see what the effect of removing 25mm, might leave your Muffler close to the wheel ? i run a 190/55 rear which is wider.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1/2 “ is only 12mm. Did you do yours on a paddock stand or on the side stand? I used a paddock stand and tried for 3 hours to get it in. I never got to the point where a wiggle was a viable option.

It just occurred to me that if I got a fat b*stard to sit on it, compressing the spring, it may have given me the required ‘wriggle room’ away from the swingarm.

Ashley, are you following?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
1/2 “ is only 12mm. Did you do yours on a paddock stand or on the side stand? I used a paddock stand and tried for 3 hours to get it in. I never got to the point where a wiggle was a viable option.

It just occurred to me that if I got a fat b*stard to sit on it, compressing the spring, it may have given me the required ‘wriggle room’ away from the swingarm.

Ashley, are you following?
Absolutely. This video helped a bit to show how to get it off. Getting the Termi on is going to be another issue I Post 9
removal of oem cat box

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Absolutely. This video helped a bit to show how to get it off. Getting the Termi on is going to be another issue I Post 9
removal of oem cat box
As i indicated in a post long ago If you really want to make it easy just remove the rear shock, you will have plenty of room & cut down a no17 spanner for the lambda ......... but it really isn't necessary

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn’t see that post. Good idea about the shock. (Or get a calorifically challenged buddy to sit on i while you continue swearing underneath…)

Another helpful suggestion (now that I’m finished, all the appropriate threads are showing up in my recommendations) was to also loosen the front header bolts.

All these extra suggestions seem like extra hassle, but in the long run, it’s going to save MANY HOURS of frustration.

I feel like I’ve joined an exclusive club. Someone that’s gone through the supersport exhaust upgrade ‘rite of passage’ and finished. And survived!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sounds like a major pain in the ass. I've done the exhaust on these bikes as well. I removed the entire oem exhaust including the headers as I had them powder coated black to match my black Competition Werkes pipe. I bought a 1/4" drive 10mm swivel socket for the header bolts, it worked awesome. Cat was a little finicky, but everything went back together with no real issues. I did find the CW pipe a bit too loud though. Wasn't a fan of the sound with the baffles so I left them out.

How are you liking the termi sound?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
" Removing rear shock ". 3 little words and yet.... Anyone done it themselves without air tools ? I may just find a fat neighbour first and try fitting the exhaust it whilst on the sidestand .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
How are you liking the termi sound?
Unfortunately I was a but under the weather yesterday and deteriorating as the day wore on. By the time I’d finished the upgrades it was dark and I was feeling like sh*t, so I thought I‘d leave it til today.

But today has turned into a sick day and I’ve spent the whole day in bed feeling sorry for myself, so, apart from giving it a bit of a rev when it got to about 50 degrees C, I don’t really know yet.

It’s louder than I’d like, but I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve actually ridden it.

" Removing rear shock ". 3 little words and yet.... Anyone done it themselves without air tools ? I may just find a fat neighbour first and try fitting the exhaust it whilst on the sidestand.
Here’s another idea… (I’m full of ‘em!). Instead of removing the shock, try backing the pre-load right off, and THEN get the chosen f*t bar-steward to sit on it.

Personally, apart from the big discovery I’m about to reveal in a soon-to-be-uploaded video clip, the next best piece of advice I’ve read… is do whatever it takes to loosen the front header pipes too.

I didn’t do it because I’m stubborn. It will cost an hour to save about 5 hours.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the next evolution in the simplification of removing the SuperSport’s beer belly.

The spanner for the top bolt needs a narrow handle. You could also grind off about a millimeter on either side of the spanner handle where it touches the header pipe. Not too much, you don’t want to weaken it.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Here is the next evolution in the simplification of removing the SuperSport’s beer belly.

The spanner for the top bolt needs a narrow handle. You could also grind off about a millimeter on either side of the spanner handle where it touches the header pipe. Not too much, you don’t want to weaken it.

Now if I could only unbolt 25LB from my waist line

1 - 20 of 25 Posts