Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a long weekend in the mountains I discovered both underseat side panels are damaged. The side panels are mounted via grommets at the front (at the black patch) then they each have a bolted mount to the sub frame. Both side panels have broken off.

Front fairing cover has a grommet mount in the centre of the headlight and two mounts on either side that mounts the front cover to the headlight chassis, my left side is broken off. That explains why my fairing has never aligned since new. Yup so beware this sh!t plastic fairing and its mounts break very easily.
The underseat panels could be my fault for placing too much pressure on them when leaning in the bends. They should not break so easily though.

·
Administrator
10,629 Posts
I also noticed after a ride once that the front end of one underseat black side panel came out of its socket. Fortunately it did not snap at the push mounting point as it appears yours did, and I pushed it back in.

Have also noticed after a ride once that one of the little front plastic seat tabs came out from under the metal gas tank hook. Again was fortunate to notice it quickly and put it back. Hasn't slipped out again since then.

·
Administrator
10,629 Posts
After a long weekend in the mountains I discovered both underseat side panels are damaged. The side panels are mounted via grommets at the front (at the black patch) then they each have a bolted mount to the sub frame. Both side panels have broken off.

Front fairing cover has a grommet mount in the centre of the headlight and two mounts on either side that mounts the front cover to the headlight chassis, my left side is broken off. That explains why my fairing has never aligned since new. Yup so beware this sh!t plastic fairing and its mounts break very easily.
The underseat panels could be my fault for placing too much pressure on them when leaning in the bends. They should not break so easily though.
Poss to post pic of fairing break spot?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Have also noticed after a ride once that one of the little front plastic seat tabs came out from under the metal gas tank hook. Again was fortunate to notice it quickly and put it back. Hasn't slipped out again since then.
The seat tabs aren't that great. I can actually slide it out easily when the seat is on and I'm sitting on it.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I'm not sure how this happened, though. I put some serious twisty miles (i.e. - hanging off) on mine a couple weeks ago and, to my knowledge, I have no ill effects from it. I will definitely go home and look, now, but I have had the seat off a couple times since and didn't readily notice any broken parts. Inspection will commence the second I get home. :nerd:

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure how this happened, though. I put some serious twisty miles (i.e. - hanging off) on mine a couple weeks ago and, to my knowledge, I have no ill effects from it. I will definitely go home and look, now, but I have had the seat off a couple times since and didn't readily notice any broken parts. Inspection will commence the second I get home. :nerd:
on mine the broken piece stays bolted and against the side panel, I was connecting my laptop to analyse some fuel mods for the mountains and thats when I noticed the bond of the bolted brackets and the panels are broken. It's a daft design, they are a jagged tooth looking bond to the side panels. I prey the rear jagged tooth doesn't break too otherwise its more money again. I have spent 50% of the purchase price on after market goodies for this bike, time to stop now.

·
Registered
907 Posts
on mine the broken piece stays bolted and against the side panel, I was connecting my laptop to analyse some fuel mods for the mountains and thats when I noticed the bond of the bolted brackets and the panels are broken. It's a daft design, they are a jagged tooth looking bond to the side panels. I prey the rear jagged tooth doesn't break too otherwise its more money again. I have spent 50% of the purchase price on after market goodies for this bike, time to stop now.
Would this be covered under your warranty?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was concerned when i first saw the bike on much pressure is on those parts. Since there was never anyone mentioning the issue I moved on. I wonder if the comfort seat would give the parts better protection? Good thing we have @amoslws as our stress tester for the bike. ;-)

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would this be covered under your warranty?
All three panels should be covered by warranty but frankly the less I have to do with ducati SA the better I feel. Not on good terms with the only dealer in africa. The owner had all other dealerships closed down in SA (bwanker), he also owns porsche in SA.
The fairing I have imported myself and is currently with customs here, perhaps some plastic welding will fix the two side panels (crap ounting design). Ducati SA are p!ssed off with me coz I saved 50% importing the akra race system myself instead of using them.

I have written to ducati italy today to let them know what I think of the warranty policy. That front fairing is known to all (management, salesmen and mechanics) at ducati SA and they did sh!t about it, actually they avoid the topic like the plague, the dealer when assembling the mirrors or the factory assembly fcuked that up. So FCUK em.
I have found another guy that has a private ducati workshop which once owned a dealership and was closed down by ducati, he prepares ducati's for racing, so anything I cannot do I will do with him instead of Ducati SA. Yup the politics of dealerships. Money grabbing bwankers.
I'm not ranting, only explaining what I have to go through with ducati. Thankfully my german contact can get me what I want from ducati italy.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was concerned when i first saw the bike on much pressure is on those parts. Since there was never anyone mentioning the issue I moved on. I wonder if the comfort seat would give the parts better protection? Good thing we have @amoslws as our stress tester for the bike. ;-)
Haha, I have had nothing but problems with the plastics on my SS, hopefully it will end soon. Such a shame. Perhaps I need to change how I lean the bike. I am not even certain its from leaning, it might just be crappy plastic again.

·
Registered
923 Posts
All three panels should be covered by warranty but frankly the less I have to do with ducati SA the better I feel. Not on good terms with the only dealer in africa. The owner had all other dealerships closed down in SA (bwanker), he also owns porsche in SA.
The fairing I have imported myself and is currently with customs here, perhaps some plastic welding will fix the two side panels (crap ounting design). Ducati SA are p!ssed off with me coz I saved 50% importing the akra race system myself instead of using them.

I have written to ducati italy today to let them know what I think of the warranty policy. That front fairing is known to all (management, salesmen and mechanics) at ducati SA and they did sh!t about it, actually they avoid the topic like the plague, the dealer when assembling the mirrors or the factory assembly fcuked that up. So FCUK em.
I have found another guy that has a private ducati workshop which once owned a dealership and was closed down by ducati, he prepares ducati's for racing, so anything I cannot do I will do with him instead of Ducati SA. Yup the politics of dealerships. Money grabbing bwankers.
I'm not ranting, only explaining what I have to go through with ducati. Thankfully my german contact can get me what I want from ducati italy.
You should re-read your post. Actually, you are ranting.

·
Registered
998 Posts

[email protected] maybe you should get a honda >:)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I would think that what has happened to mine could happen to anyones SS. The difference is they have not noticed it yet. Its a poor design in respect of the material strength. They have pushed for lightness over practicality.
can you post some pictures of what exactly you are talking about? Im not getting it.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have a defected rear RH panel the one with the key that opens the seat.(it has 3 ripples which stand out in certain light. I suspect it was created when moulded) I noticed it when I picked up the bike. They agreed and said they would order a replacement panel. I phoned them today and asked them for an update ! They said they will call me on Monday with an update. I Said that I suspect that they have done nothing about it. Also my seat has two cracks through the plastic underneath. I am not worried about it as I can plastic weld it if I need to but the plastic seat is not strong or durable.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have a defected rear RH panel the one with the key that opens the seat.(it has 3 ripples which stand out in certain light. I suspect it was created when moulded) I noticed it when I picked up the bike. They agreed and said they would order a replacement panel. I phoned them today and asked them for an update ! They said they will call me on Monday with an update. I Said that I suspect that they have done nothing about it. Also my seat has two cracks through the plastic underneath. I am not worried about it as I can plastic weld it if I need to but the plastic seat is not strong or durable

Attachments

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here you can see which mount on the side panels are damaged.
The left side is still mounted to the frame but the panel has broken loose. The right side is in a plastic bag since that had been noticed last week and the left I only found yesterday.
Going to ducati today full of fire and fury, not sure it will help my cause but at least if it happens to enough bikes then ducati will fix the issue, just like they are fixing the mirror issue _____ or NOT.
Yes, that's another rant. FCUK em.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.