Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i originally wanted to buy a new windscreen, but I have been happy with how the stock one has performed with my style of riding. So I decided to stop by the store on the way home from work and pick up a can of black plastidip to spray the windscreen.

I didn?t want a matte finish, so I sprayed the inside of the windscreen. This gives it a factory looking glossy finish. The only real downfall is that you can no longer see through the windscreen. I?m never in a full tucked position, so I don?t see this as being a problem for me. The best part, if I ever get tired of it, I can just peel it off.

I put on 3-4 light layers and 3 more heavy layers. I read online that the more layers you put on, the easier it is to peel off. Also, I removed the rubber washers from the mounting holes and taped them off before spraying.

Let me know what y?all think!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Not bad...not for me, but not bad. Yes, more layers equals thicker equals easier to peel off. Spray-dipped a few things in my day...and subsequently removed it. With it being behind the screen and not really exposed to bugs and dings, it'll last until you're sick of it, easily. PD is great stuff, but not so long lasting when applied to anything that will take some abuse from mother nature or from normal wear and tear. The longer it's on there, say a couple years, the harder it will be to get off. It dries with time and exposure and becomes more brittle with age, making it difficult to peel off in large chunks. It will come off, just in many more small pieces.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I like it. Question, will it start coming off pulling on the screen to move it in the up position?

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I like it. Question, will it start coming off pulling on the screen to move it in the up position?
I wouldn't think so if used occasionally. My experience with PD is that it's rather durable, however, I think it wouldn't hold up if used like that on the daily.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't think so if used occasionally. My experience with PD is that it's rather durable, however, I think it wouldn't hold up if used like that on the daily.
that's a good point. i don't normally lift the windscreen up unless I'm going on a long ride (40+ minutes on the freeway). when i do lift it up, i lift it from the bottom edge, instead of grabbing the top and lifting. i think it should be ok as long as I'm mindful of how I'm lifting it, especially since i rarely do it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
that's a good point. i don't normally lift the windscreen up unless I'm going on a long ride (40+ minutes on the freeway). when i do lift it up, i lift it from the bottom edge, instead of grabbing the top and lifting. i think it should be ok as long as I'm mindful of how I'm lifting it, especially since i rarely do it.
I do occasionally do it mid ride, so itll be good to know how durable it is.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thinking about this a bit more, could your windscreen potentially tint itself from the sun rays? You know when you leave a sticker on a window, there's typically a shadow left when you peel it off. I'd imagine so if you were to ever remove the PD.

.ck

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,726 Posts
I'm not familiar with plastidip but did a similar thing to an ST4s screen about 10 years ago. I'd picked up a screen to replace the one I'd cracked but it was clear and I wanted a light tint. I bought a rattle can of the stuff young guys use to tint the rear lights of their cars black and gently sprayed the inside of the screen with it. The result was a nice light grey transparent tint and since, like the OP, I sprayed on the inside, the screen outwardly retained it's gloss.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I like it. Good idea :)
Have you you swapped the rims with someone you had a white SSS?

Reactions: tea2jay

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thinking about this a bit more, could your windscreen potentially tint itself from the sun rays? You know when you leave a sticker on a window, there's typically a shadow left when you peel it off. I'd imagine so if you were to ever remove the PD.

.ck
i think that on a stock clear shield, it wouldn't have that effect. however, on a painted surface, like my seat cover, that would probably happen as the unpainted surfaces would fade from exposure to sunlight. it's important to keep in mind what @se7en pointed out, the longer it's left on, the harder it is to peel off as it will dry out and crack as you peel it off instead of coming off in one big piece.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not familiar with plastidip but did a similar thing to an ST4s screen about 10 years ago. I'd picked up a screen to replace the one I'd cracked but it was clear and I wanted a light tint. I bought a rattle can of the stuff young guys use to tint the rear lights of their cars black and gently sprayed the inside of the screen with it. The result was a nice light grey transparent tint and since, like the OP, I sprayed on the inside, the screen outwardly retained it's gloss.
i think i have used something similar on my old cars. i think it was called night shade? i would prefer to have something more transparent, but i wouldn't want to do anything permanent to the oem screen.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Nice job,

I was thinking of having the windscreen tinted to give it a darker look.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I was thinking about putting film on the inside, but now like the ease of PD.
Nice job,

yea, the tint would be nice because you can get it pretty dark, but still be able to see through it. For me, i just liked the idea of having something cheap and easy to revert to stock. Since I'm new to PD, I'm not sure how much coverage you get out of one can but it feels like there's enough to do 1-2 more screens. At $5 bucks a can, it's already very cheap. Split that $5 by 2 (or more) people and you could afford to do this just by scrounging up loose change around the house.

one caveat, the are swirl marks in the windscreen (probably from washing/drying the bike) that become more visible due to the contrast of the black background. from a few feet away, not that noticeable, but when you are close up they're pretty easy to spot. Tint may also be similar though.

Also, for those that don't want something blacked out, PlastiDip also has smoke color that is clear and gets darker the more coats you put on. I ordered it and will try to smoke the lens on the front turn signal lens.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Nice job,

i don't know if you know but the tint will etch the screen so will leave the screen dull if you ever take it off later. Tint is meant for Glass where it won't etch. I was going to do the same thing and went to a mate of mine who owns a auto tint shop, if you are never going to remove the tint it shouldn't matter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts