Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the low fuel light came on when I was out for a very spirited ride today. I decided to see if I could make it the 35 miles or so to the petrol station near where I Iive before I refueled; in the interests of an experiment of course 馃槈

I got to the petrol station with the distance to empty showing 4 miles and I managed to get 14.80 litres of petrol in it and that was to the brim; and I do mean the brim! The Owners Manual says the 950S has a 16 litre fuel capacity, of which 4 litres is reserve.

So by the maths I had 1.2 litres of fuel left. I know we shouldn't place too much trust in fuel gauges (I ran out of fuel in my car once 5 miles after the low fuel light came on!) but I would have got more than the indicated 4 miles remaining with the 1.2 litres of fuel left, even taking into acount the small amount that would be in the system between the tank and the cylinders.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the fuel outlet is at the very bottom of the fuel tank, to one side or if it is not quite at the bottom so some fuel could be in the tank, but be below the fuel outlet. I have it my head it is not right at the very bottom so as any sediment or crud can in theory settle below the fuel outlet; I appreciate it will move around the tank as the fuel gets sloshed araound with the movement of the bike.

Reactions: Grossi.BP

Registered
I think there are two possible answers here. One that Ducati has put some margin in their calculations so that even when you鈥檙e at zero km (or miles) left, there鈥檚 still some fuel left, to lessen the risk of getting stranded. OR, it鈥檚 possible that the full tank volume is the stated 16 litres but not all of is actually usable (something I鈥檝e never experienced myself on any of my bikes but heard others complain about on some other bike brands/models).

That said, I鈥檝e run the meter to 0 km left indicated and some distance beyond that once and still could only get 15,2 litres in the tank. So my bet is on Ducati being conservative.

-Edit- also, on the 939, the meter needed some calibration by running it close to empty (that is, one bar left indicated) at least once. Before that, it was less accurate. Not sure of the 950 gauge is different in that regard.

Registered
Given 4.2 gallons of gas and average of 41mpg = 170 miles until run out.

I'm skeptical of the 4.2 gallons but usually get 42+ mpg (according to the dashboard). I might've run mine up to 160 miles once.

Registered
2021 Supersport 950
I once drove 310 km from one tank of fuel. I reached the gas station around 20 km after the dash said 0 km remaining. I could fit 14.95 liter in the tank. So in theory there should have been around 1 liter left in the tank. But that being said, I only refill my bike on the sidestand, so I might not actually use all 16 liters of space.

Registered
I once drove 310 km from one tank of fuel. I reached the gas station around 20 km after the dash said 0 km remaining. I could fit 14.95 liter in the tank. So in theory there should have been around 1 liter left in the tank. But that being said, I only refill my bike on the sidestand, so I might not actually use all 16 liters of space.
Wow, 310 km is very impressive. I imagine quite moderate speeds then? I鈥檝e never gotten more than 250 km out of mine but i usually use the throttle as an on/off switch鈥

Registered
2021 Supersport 950
I don't drive that fast, but that tour was a single afternoon tour with relatively low traffic on smooth twisty roads. I usually go 10 to 30 kph above the speed limit (out of town only, in residential areas I stick to the speed limit). So on normal German country roads that's 110 to 130 kph, if no corner requires me to go slower.
I try to drive as smooth possible and maintain my speed throughout the corner wherever I can.
What I still don't get - I never got below 4,7L/100km so far, which the new Desert X is said to do due to tests while going steady 130 kph on the Autobahn. When I tried the same with the SS, I ended up with 5,5 L/100km even though I never exceeded 130 kph and hardly had to change my speed at all.

Anyway, I still wish the tank would be 3-4 liters bigger. I hate stopping for gas. Especially if it means I have to plan my route differently because in some sparsely populated areas like the Chevennes in France you can easily rack up 250km of mountain twisties without getting even close to a gas station.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts