Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday after my first service when I got home I noticed a burning rubber/oil smell. Fearing the worst I immediately started inspecting the bike.

After a while I found that the bushing inside the rear suspension spring coil (I think maybe it serves as "bumpstop") was melting from the exhaust heat. This was causing it to drip down on the spring coil itself, and the source of the smell. I don't know if this is something that is serious, but none-the-less it is frustrating on a new bike to see ANY part melting.

For reference: Regular SS, Ambient temp was mid 90's (F), ride time was approx 2 hours with 45 min of stop and go traffic.

Here are the pictures: (sorry for the weird angles lol)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Uh oh. I don't like the look of this. I was silently worried about something like this when I heard about the engine heat issue. Although, you could be the first one to experience this as far as I know. Called the dealer already? Keep us posted.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called the dealer already?
Left a message last night, and going to call them again if I don't hear back by the time I get off work.

Will def keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, not cool!

I live in Texas and planned on commuting to work. In the summer on hot afternoons it gets well over 100 on a regular basis.

Worried about this now.

Going to keep an eye on this because I will have to cancel my deposit if the engine heat is that big of an issue.

I've commuted on a GSX-R 600 and a Ninja ZX-10 with no issues.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have noticed some smells but thought it just be the heat bouncing off the plastics and rubbers. I think i might need to do my inspection around the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I have noticed some smells but thought it just be the heat bouncing off the plastics...
This, actually, was what I thought would be the issue. The plastics in and around the engine area. It gets fairly hot here in TN, too. Say around 94-98 F in the late summer and stays there for a month. Im a little concerned now that you've also noticed something. Hopefully, after inspection, there won't be any physical issues found.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was out on the 7 year old 848 in 35c heat today. That is a bike the generates heat, loads of it and under your ar$e! Nothing melting on that one apart from me though. Will be interesting when I get the SS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe the Moderator could modify this thread title to specify that it only pertains to the regular SS with the Sachs shock. The way it now reads suggests that all SS939 have this problem.
Makes sense. I took a look at my shocks shortly after reading this post and noticed that mine has a black bushing instead of the yellow one. Didn't dawn on me right away that the S version has different suspension. In any case, my bushing didn't have any melting issues but I did notice that it was free floating around the shock.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I think it's for the shaft cleaning so that no grit damages the seals as it bounces back and forth. Especially since the rear guard is so short.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, not cool!

I live in Texas and planned on commuting to work. In the summer on hot afternoons it gets well over 100 on a regular basis.

Worried about this now.
My plan as well (in VA) but it would be my summer commuter bike so it's even more important not to have excess heat probs!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe the Moderator could modify this thread title to specify that it only pertains to the regular SS with the Sachs shock. The way it now reads suggests that all SS939 have this problem.
Can you please elaborate on why it would not be an issue with the S model?

Asking because my deposit is on a S model and not the regular.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Different rear suspension system and manufacturer.
I understand that but the shock is still in the same spot and so is the engine.

The heat output should be the same.

The rear shock, even though its Ohlins, will still have a plastic bump stop on it and still be subject to the same heat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heard back from the dealership, they said I need to bring it in so they can inspect and document it (My pictures do not suffice). From my explanation, the service manager said it absolutely **should** be covered under warranty. Also mentioned something (sounded like TUG) that they would write up and send to Ducati?

I'll continue to post as new developments occur.

Reactions: klev and se7en

·
Registered
886 Posts
Well, so far only one SS has this problem, it might be anecdotal that it's a base model.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Different rear suspension system and manufacturer.
The only difference between the S and the non S having to do with the rear suspension is the manufacturer of the shock. The "system" between the two models is identical.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think S and non S should be concerned. Like it has been said, same engine, same suspension distance from the engine. This is why I have not ridden my bike with the race exhaust that is missing heat shields.....

1 - 20 of 124 Posts