Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
There’s a lot of options ranging from custom made mounts to various off the shelf products posted on the Forum that can found using the Search function.

A number of guys, including me, are using this (fits SS) together with a RAM mount for cell phone and GPS depending on the need.

Buybits 25mm Ball Motorcycle Mount Base for Ducati 848 evo (SKU 11780) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K91802/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_W3bfDbQNJEQK2

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I'm not keen on the bar stem mount or anything screwed into the fittings near the ignition and came across this which I think looks very nice. Any one got one?
With your above limiting factors, your options dwindle quickly. Not even the Aella product tickles your fancy?

That is a slick little ball mount you discovered...think you might be the first to post that here.

I like my two bits....they’re symmetrical and staged fore and aft just right to be immediately visible if needed but also out of the way when not.

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
There’s a lot of options ranging from custom made mounts to various off the shelf products posted on the Forum that can found using the Search function.

A number of guys, including me, are using this (fits SS) together with a RAM mount for cell phone and GPS depending on the need.

Buybits 25mm Ball Motorcycle Mount Base for Ducati 848 evo (SKU 11780) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K91802/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_W3bfDbQNJEQK2

@BlueBird Although, re-reading your starter post, it appears you may want something prettier than this option. I don’t recall anyone on the Forum posting about the option you posted. If you decide to go for it, please let us know how it works out!

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Oh, I was not looking for it, just want to do the same for myself using 3D printer. Apparently it's already done but sorry, I can't accept such price - even if it's really great and I'm sure it's impossible to be dissatisfied. : )

I was really disappointed by using RAM MOUNT rubber mounted into the clip-on... it never fitted solid, I always had problems with it and removed completely. This option in the middle is what I'm trying to finish soon before my vacations this year. Symmetry and harmony in my heart ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
I was really disappointed by using RAM MOUNT rubber mounted into the clip-on... it never fitted solid, I always had problems with it and removed completely.
Oh, interesting, what problems did you have? Also, do you have the cradle for the GPS/Phone or X mount?

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
It's not that it moves by touching one finger (I would want my money back) - however it won't hold the phone in one position - I used a waterproof phone, attached to its flat back an action camera 360 connector on 3M sticker with my 3D printed "ball" to connect RAM - RAM 'arm' - "ball" on the phone. Yes, it held the phone pretty well : ) - just the rubber in the clipon rotated the whole "construction".

My only problem is that the rubber inside the clip-on rotates just as much that during the ride the phone is eventually changing the angle. I'm pretty sure I made good cut of the rubber - before I also watched instructions. It's not that tight as put vertically into the head of the steering "wheel" (sorry I miss the word). My friend mounted the same ram mount and it also slightly rotates with two fingers. At the begining she has it more solid but I can see on mine it's not worth after a while.

Just too bad I didn't find a year ago this metal made element to put inside a clipon - my advice also would be to >delicately< scratch the surface of the rubber around to receive more resilience.

Anyway, now I'm focusing on the solution demonstrated in this topic : )

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
Could it be the rubber in your 3D printed ball was too soft?

I’ve not had any issues with movement of the RAM clamped phone or GPS cradles over a 5000 mile trip through a lot of inclement weather, and countless shorter trips. I did need a spot of locktite for the ball that “screw-expand” fits into the inside of the bar end.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
OK, maybe I internally didn't like this solution all the time and just found a reason to change :D I'm glad you don't have issues.

The RAM ball is super fine. I'll try with new solution. That's it.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Post under post but... I said I won't pay so much for this element above but after trying with 3D printers... well... I don't have easy access to those like Shapeways.com with high end plastics, any prototypes and final alignments cost 2-3 times as much. I unfortunately gave up on my own solution (due to lack of proper 3D printers) and bought Desmoworld navi mount. It's a pain in the wallet but the quality is tip top high. I am very satisfied with it. Very. Solid piece of metal. If they could made the top of the ball with SSS white I would've puked with rainbow.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Post under post but... I said I won't pay so much for this element above but after trying with 3D printers... well... I don't have easy access to those like Shapeways.com with high end plastics, any prototypes and final alignments cost 2-3 times as much. I unfortunately gave up on my own solution (due to lack of proper 3D printers) and bought Desmoworld navi mount. It's a pain in the wallet but the quality is tip top high. I am very satisfied with it. Very. Solid piece of metal. If they could made the top of the ball with SSS white I would've puked with rainbow.
Does anyone know if this is available in the US? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
I don't think so. It's some Ducati "club" in Germany. They sent it to you globally. Just make sure all data are correct. In EU dumbasses defined stupid law and they sent me once but without a phone becase of GDPR limitations but my fault, I was just sitting and waiting. So I had to pay again for delivery. But they cooperate with me in 5 min mail exchange. Support is super.

If all good (data, address, phone number maybe to reach you) you'll get it. Considering everything else, hard to find similar quality. Or if you have a friend with CNC machine :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts