Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Did you give your SuperSport a gender and a name?

• No

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Not yet...

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Yes, and she's a girl

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Yes, and he's a boy

• Yes, but gender not identified/specified/important

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to use this data to add some context to why we anthropomorphise objects, so hoping you will participate and answer this simple question to help me out.

My SuperSport's name is Boe (even though my member name here is the same - I'm trying to be anonymous!) and he's a boy. (I'm female, and it just doesn't feel right to ride a girl!)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Nah, it's just a tool.
This.

There was a time when I sorta named things, got super attached and felt like my 2 wheeled devices (bicycles as well) were almost like family. Now I still treat them all well but gave that whole naming thing up because it just seemed like I would get so attached to something and get almost irrational with it. I do still like my things, and have favorites but if my bike was stolen I’d just get another, if it breaks or gets crashed I’d get another and if I get tired of it I’ll sell it and, well, get another.

Shrug :)

I get why people do, but it’s just not me anymore. My wife though, that’s another story: her Honda scooter is slow as hell and I want to replace it but it’s “pink” so she calls it Pinky and according to her it stays. I honestly think she doesn’t really like the Sprint GT more than the Tracer GT as much as she thinks she does because we‘ve got a lot of good memories on the Sprint, so it’s her favorite and she doesn’t want to change.

Shrug again, I guess :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This.

There was a time when I sorta named things, got super attached and felt like my 2 wheeled devices (bicycles as well) were almost family. I still treat them all well but gave that whole naming thing up because it just seemed like I would get so attached to something and get almost irrational. I like things, and have favorites but if my bike was stolen I’d just get another, if it breaks or gets crashed I’d get another and if I get tired of it I’ll sell it and, well, get another.

Shrug :)

I get why people do, but it’s just not me. My wife though, that’s another story: her Honda scooter is slow as hell and I want to replace it but it’s “pink” so she calls it Pinky and according to her it stays. I honestly think she doesn’t really like the Sprint GT more than the Tracer GT as much as she thinks she does but since we‘ve got a lot of good memories on the Sprint, it’s her favorite and she doesn’t want to change.

Shrug again, I guess :)
That's a good explanation!

·
Registered
2018 Ducati SSS Red
94 Posts
Mine is named BRO, stands for Bloody Red "The big O" :rolleyes:
Even though I have named it, it ultimately is just an Ultimate Machine, which I will sell off once insurance companies stop giving me comprehensive cover. I will get another then. Naming is more of a tradition, not implying undying love for the machine.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
No.

I love my bike, but at the end of the day, it is just mechanical. Marvellous engineering, but any emotion it has is just the result of an engineer designing that "soul".

But I still love it...

Reactions: BMont and LowRyter

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
I'm planning to use this data to add some context to why we anthropomorphise objects, so hoping you will participate and answer this simple question to help me out.

My SuperSport's name is Boe (even though my member name here is the same - I'm trying to be anonymous!) and he's a boy. (I'm female, and it just doesn't feel right to ride a girl!)
But you use your name on Facebook? Which then allows people to find your web page? We're all much nicer than Facebook trolls... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But you use your name on Facebook? Which then allows people to find your web page? We're all much nicer than Facebook trolls... :ROFLMAO:
True :giggle:. But when I started on this forum I didn't know what you were all like. Now I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No.

I love my bike, but at the end of the day, it is just mechanical. Marvellous engineering, but any emotion it has is just the result of an engineer designing that "soul".

But I still love it...
Yes, that soul. There is something there.

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
714 Posts
I'm one of those eccentric old hippies that names everything . The Ducati is "Bella" Italian for beautiful, my Thruxton is named "Bonne" the british name for beautiful . All 32 of my instruments have names , it makes it easier to keep track of them....

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Yes, that soul. There is something there.
So that is definitely something I do still believe, certain things have a soul, and have told multiple people this bike, and my Triumph(s), have had that thing that none of my Japanese bikes have had. Well except for my ‘90 VFR which I still believe had to have been designed by an Italian because there was just something about it….…

Take the Supersport spec sheet and there is just nothing special about it that should make it so good. It’s not “fast”, not high hp, not light, not a clean sheet very groundbreaking design, it’s expensive, costs a lot to maintain, has plenty of quirks that if it were a Yamaha or Honda I would be annoyed with and probably have long since traded off for something more “reliable”. But here we are going into ‘23 which will be my fifth season with the bike, and I still can’t wait to ride it or turn around and look at it every time I walk past it in the garage, or daydream about riding it. And every time I do ride it there is just something so right with what it does as a unit that’s unexplainable.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
........ My wife though, that’s another story: her Honda scooter is slow as hell and I want to replace it but it’s “pink” so she calls it Pinky and according to her it stays. I honestly think she doesn’t really like the Sprint GT more than the Tracer GT as much as she thinks she does because we‘ve got a lot of good memories on the Sprint, so it’s her favorite and she doesn’t want to change.........
Happy wife, happy life 😅

• Haha
Reactions: Miweber929

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So that is definitely something I do still believe, certain things have a soul, and have told multiple people this bike, and my Triumph(s), have had that thing that none of my Japanese bikes have had. Well except for my ‘90 VFR which I still believe had to have been designed by an Italian because there was just something about it….…

Take the Supersport spec sheet and there is just nothing special about it that should make it so good. It’s not “fast”, not high hp, not light, not a clean sheet very groundbreaking design, it’s expensive, costs a lot to maintain, has plenty of quirks that if it were a Yamaha or Honda I would be annoyed with and probably have long since traded off for something more “reliable”. But here we are going into ‘23 which will be my fifth season with the bike, and I still can’t wait to ride it or turn around and look at it every time I walk past it in the garage, or daydream about riding it. And every time I do ride it there is just something so right with what it does as a unit that’s unexplainable.
This is the second street bike I've owned, I have not much experience riding the street (less than 4 years) and still I feel like your words could have been written by me - I completely understand.

Reactions: Miweber929

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup. All four of my bikes have names. My SSS is Carmilla. It’s fun. And that’s what motorcycling is about for me.
Same here - just fun. And I dunno... I do wonder if naming objects can sometimes give them a higher status in our lives, and we therefore care more about them, look after them a bit better, understand (and forgive) them a bit more. Just thoughts...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts