Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Dimsport Evo installed on my Supersport S. I already have the Ducati Akropovic full exhaust system.

The results were impressive. But before we get there you need to know where I live. Johannesburg, South Africa...at an altitude of 1750m (5750 feet) above sea level. The rule of thumb is that normally aspirated engines loose about 12-15% of their power up here compared with the coast. So 113hp becomes about 99hp or so.

The chart shows that the base (dark blue line) was 93.2hp at 9091rpm and wheel torque of 77.8nm at 7118rpm. The after line (I had to trace it over) was 115.7hp (22.5hp gain) at a slightly lower 8841rpm and 107.1 nm (29.3nm gain) at 7119nm, a 24% and 31% increase respectively. The light blue line can be ignored..that was a whoops, they initially used the wrong Ducati wiring harness and then corrected it.

Of interest is that the extra torque gain is a bit more pronounced at lower rpm...job well done Dimsport.

Top speed on the clock is 244km/h (151mph)...at altitude about the same, but enough. But I would never do that of course.

Charts are objective, but my butt never lies. What that told me was that the engine not only felt more powerful but also smoother and more eager to rev and spin up more quickly.

Fuel consumption...eh who cares...but it doesn't seem to have made it worse...other than my increased keeness to twist the throttle.

Overall it was a success and the results were better than I expected. At a cost of R8500 installed and dyno tuned/tested (USD600, GBP462, EUR535) I think it was well worth it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Thanks for posting, interesting...

We have several Forum Members that are very experienced with Dimsport Evo, but don’t think they had gains of this magnitude. Are there any more specifics available regarding the set up and/or parameters used, etc?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting, interesting...

We have several Forum Members that are very experienced with Dimsport Evo, but don’t think they had gains of this magnitude. Are there any more specifics available regarding the set up and/or parameters used, etc?
I didn't do the installation and setup so can't speak to the specifics of how they set it up.
The guys at Fire it up through a division of theirs performance technic did the work. Pop them an email they good guys and will probably be happy to share. I think that they get their training in Italy at Dimsport. They also have a pretty sophisticated fancy new dyno. No I don't work for them or anything, I'm just a customer. Www.fireitup.co.za

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the engine is stock. The only thing other than the Dimsport unit is the full Ducati akropovic exhaust system and a performance air filter which I think came with the exhaust system and was already on the bike before, so the gains can only be ascribed to the Dimsport unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it's an alternative to power commander but don't know the exact difference between them. I'm told that both world super bike (SBK) and MotoGP use Dimsport which is an Italian company that works with the two series.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I had the Dimsport Evo installed on my Supersport S. I already have the Ducati Akropovic full exhaust system.

The results were impressive. But before we get there you need to know where I live. Johannesburg, South Africa...at an altitude of 1750m (5750 feet) above sea level. The rule of thumb is that normally aspirated engines loose about 12-15% of their power up here compared with the coast. So 113hp becomes about 99hp or so.

The chart shows that the base (dark blue line) was 93.2hp at 9091rpm and wheel torque of 77.8nm at 7118rpm. The after line (I had to trace it over) was 115.7hp (22.5hp gain) at a slightly lower 8841rpm and 107.1 nm (29.3nm gain) at 7119nm, a 24% and 31% increase respectively. The light blue line can be ignored..that was a whoops, they initially used the wrong Ducati wiring harness and then corrected it.

Of interest is that the extra torque gain is a bit more pronounced at lower rpm...job well done Dimsport.

Top speed on the clock is 244km/h (151mph)...at altitude about the same, but enough. But I would never do that of course.

Charts are objective, but my butt never lies. What that told me was that the engine not only felt more powerful but also smoother and more eager to rev and spin up more quickly.

Fuel consumption...eh who cares...but it doesn't seem to have made it worse...other than my increased keeness to twist the throttle.

Overall it was a success and the results were better than I expected. At a cost of R8500 installed and dyno tuned/tested (USD600, GBP462, EUR535) I think it was well worth it.
I saw a white SS with akra race outside Llewelyn's dyno room (fire it up) two weeks or so ago, was that yours. From my experience, the dyno operator can make adjustments to the drum brake resistance and altitude air density to fudge the results, fudged results make customers happy when they are chasing HP.

I only saw 4 SS at the ducati day at kyalami on 11 May, 3 red and a single white... Did you attend?

·
Registered
261 Posts

I and others here have Dimsport enabled bikes, can you share your map? Its straightforward if your PC is connected to your bike, else perhaps your tuner has a copy they can email you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that must have been my white bike with the Akropovic.
I didn't tell them that I was chasing HP or give them.any specific instructions. Maybe they jippo the system to show more but I don't see any reason. Guess it also comes done to trust of the company.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I spoke to the guys that did the tuning and setup of my Rapid Bike Dimsport. There are "stock" maps but the only way to get the best map is you have to have the right dyno because the map is built while on the dyno..they not all the same. The guys that built my map have the latest most advanced dyno available. The dyno has its own Rapid Bike software, or so I understood, that speaks to the unit on the bike.
Basically you need to have a good tuner with the best equipment to custom build a map for your specific bike if you want to get the best out of the Dimsport unit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So I spoke to the guys that did the tuning and setup of my Rapid Bike Dimsport. There are "stock" maps but the only way to get the best map is you have to have the right dyno because the map is built while on the dyno..they not all the same. The guys that built my map have the latest most advanced dyno available. The dyno has its own Rapid Bike software, or so I understood, that speaks to the unit on the bike.
Basically you need to have a good tuner with the best equipment to custom build a map for your specific bike if you want to get the best out of the Dimsport unit.
I get it but would be nice to see what map they set you up with because with all due respect, I'm having a hard time accepting the dyno report numbers.

As to the subject line of your post, an EVO review, here's mine. RB is supposed to not need a custom tune because 1) they now ship with a tune for the SS, and 2) the Auto Adapt component is supposed to dynamically adjust the trim based on your bike and conditions to the targeted AFR. Between the two, you'd think any adjustments required for an exhaust and the environment would be handled. However, the tune that came with the flash is weak, not even close to what is needed (like triple the values in the sweet spot), and the auto adjust doesn't seem to work as it always wants to max out the allowed threshold until the bike eventually runs too rich (e.g. hits the max in the sweet spot, always, and never a negative/lean value in any cell, ever). No answers from Dimsport, they seem to be happy just getting me past the O2 Sensor CELs. At this point I ended up applying trims to the base map until the bike noticeably degrades. No idea whether this is optimal AFR or not but at least I'm not getting CELs anymore and my bike runs much better than stock.

Rexxer (I have a lot of respect for this guy, but) is an off the shelf tune with no objective proof (i.e. published dyno run) of how well it performs and it's difficult to reverse, and Termi UpMap published numbers seem to good to be true until it can be validated with an independent dyno run (although looks very hopeful, interested in how custom tunes can be performed for non-OEM/Termi exhausts).

So at this point I'm sticking with RB since I don't see a better solution. It has problems but at least I can modify the map. Sorry if I'm being difficult, just want something that works, getting crabby in my old age :frown2:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I get it but would be nice to see what map they set you up with because with all due respect, I'm having a hard time accepting the dyno report numbers.

As to the subject line of your post, an EVO review, here's mine. RB is supposed to not need a custom tune because 1) they now ship with a tune for the SS, and 2) the Auto Adapt component is supposed to dynamically adjust the trim based on your bike and conditions to the targeted AFR. Between the two, you'd think any adjustments required for an exhaust and the environment would be handled. However, the tune that came with the flash is weak, not even close to what is needed (like triple the values in the sweet spot), and the auto adjust doesn't seem to work as it always wants to max out the allowed threshold until the bike eventually runs too rich (e.g. hits the max in the sweet spot, always, and never a negative/lean value in any cell, ever). No answers from Dimsport, they seem to be happy just getting me past the O2 Sensor CELs. At this point I ended up applying trims to the base map until the bike noticeably degrades. No idea whether this is optimal AFR or not but at least I'm not getting CELs anymore and my bike runs much better than stock.

Rexxer (I have a lot of respect for this guy, but) is an off the shelf tune with no objective proof (i.e. published dyno run) of how well it performs and it's difficult to reverse, and Termi UpMap published numbers seem to good to be true until it can be validated with an independent dyno run (although looks very hopeful, interested in how custom tunes can be performed for non-OEM/Termi exhausts).

So at this point I'm sticking with RB since I don't see a better solution. It has problems but at least I can modify the map. Sorry if I'm being difficult, just want something that works, getting crabby in my old age :frown2:
I still need to get past the CEL!

So you found the auto adapt does not work?

·
Registered
477 Posts

Though others on this forum seem happy with results from RB autotune, I’m not surprised to hear your complaints about it. In my opinion, auto tuning with a narrow band oxygen sensor (which is what the SS, and almost any bike ever manufactured, has stock) is just too limited to give any useful feedback. It can only tell if the mixture is lean, stochiometric or rich, but not how lean or how rich.

As an example, once it has adjust a stochiometric mixture towards the richer side, the unit has literally no idea if the air/fuel mixture should’ve enriched further, if it’s good where it is, or if it should’ve dialled back slightly. Conventional tuner sense is usually that richer is better, as long as it doesn’t misfire, but very often that leads to a too rich rich AF ratio which can hurt performance.

Only way to get a proper auto tune is to use wide band oxygen sensors, with a unit that supports it (not sure if the RapidBike does?).

·
Registered
261 Posts
I still need to get past the CEL!

So you found the auto adapt does not work?
Make sure you have at least the firmware version I have installed (I'll send the version # to you next time I link up my PC again). That pretty much solved the o2 sensor faults. I found Auto-adapt doesn't work as advertised but it is useful to build up the base map. I detailed my experiences here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Though others on this forum seem happy with results from RB autotune, I’m not surprised to hear your complaints about it. In my opinion, auto tuning with a narrow band oxygen sensor (which is what the SS, and almost any bike ever manufactured, has stock) is just too limited to give any useful feedback. It can only tell if the mixture is lean, stochiometric or rich, but not how lean or how rich.

As an example, once it has adjust a stochiometric mixture towards the richer side, the unit has literally no idea if the air/fuel mixture should’ve enriched further, if it’s good where it is, or if it should’ve dialled back slightly. Conventional tuner sense is usually that richer is better, as long as it doesn’t misfire, but very often that leads to a too rich rich AF ratio which can hurt performance.

Only way to get a proper auto tune is to use wide band oxygen sensors, with a unit that supports it (not sure if the RapidBike does?).

I have RB EVO with Autotune in my KTM, running perfectly. For the EVO alone you have to keep the original narrow band oxygen sensor.

With the Autotune module you must install a additional !!!! broadband oxygen sensor per cylinder.

So you have to weld sockets for the oxygen sensors in to the exhaust.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have RB EVO with Autotune in my KTM, running perfectly. For the EVO alone you have to keep the original narrow band oxygen sensor.

With the Autotune module you must install a additional !!!! broadband oxygen sensor per cylinder.

Yep, that was my understanding and experience as well but I’m pretty sure someone on here said they were running the autotune with the narrow band sensors. Quite possibly I misunderstood.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Make sure you have at least the firmware version I have installed (I'll send the version # to you next time I link up my PC again). That pretty much solved the o2 sensor faults. I found Auto-adapt doesn't work as advertised but it is useful to build up the base map. I detailed my experiences here.
Thank you!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts

It's not necessary to have the wide band sensors to use autoadaptivity. The My Tuning add-on does require the bungs welded, but my tuning can be connected to build the map and then autoadaptivity can take over.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Dimsport and Akropovic agreement

I read this week that RB and Akropovic are working together to build maps for the exhausts, for race use, not homologation. There's no akra race map for the ducati's yet. Only for some 1000cc Jap bikes. Time will tell

1 - 20 of 33 Posts