Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done any distance trips on their bike yet? As in, more than 2-3 hrs of riding at once? How was the "comfort" ?

I know Ducati says this bike is designed for short "touring" trips and i wondered if that is working for anyone.

I am still in my break-in period and am still putting off any distance trips though I am thinking that a tank-bag to lay on may be in order for any flat, straight, multihours rides. Perhaps some rearsets too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did over 6 hours in a day a couple of weeks ago. Have previously done the trip on an HP4 and ZZR1400. With some discomfort towards the end and aches and pains after. On the S, I felt tired after a long day but couldn't believe how ache/pain free I was. No leg cramp either. Was happy enough to enjoy the fun twisties in the last half hour. It was a mix of good roads, rubbish roads and motorway (freeway) so a good text. She Passed with top marks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just put 200 miles on today, in two three hour runs around twisting and narrow roads. I feel physically and mentally tired but there are no specific sore points. One of my wrists is a little tired, but I think that may be age rearing its ugly head. So I think Ducati aren't lying about being able to put miles on.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Most I've done is around 160 miles with one short stop for a cup of tea and a pee. No aches and pains, loved it.

I always feel it's a bit too sporty a riding position for the first few miles but I soon forget that and I find the bike really comfortable, I'd probably like the touring screen?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most I've done is around 160 miles with one short stop for a cup of tea and a pee. No aches and pains, loved it.

I always feel it's a bit too sporty a riding position for the first few miles but I soon forget that and I find the bike really comfortable, I'd probably like the touring screen?
There's a touring screen??

·
Registered
120 Posts
I thought about the touring screen, but after this weekend just gone, I don't think it's necessary so long as you have a reasonably aerodynamic helmet

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Anyone done any distance trips on their bike yet? As in, more than 2-3 hrs of riding at once? How was the "comfort" ?

I know Ducati says this bike is designed for short "touring" trips and i wondered if that is working for anyone.

I am still in my break-in period and am still putting off any distance trips though I am thinking that a tank-bag to lay on may be in order for any flat, straight, multihours rides. Perhaps some rearsets too.
I did 6 hours today and only stopped for petrol. I had fewer of the usual pains from riding but certainly not more than usual. My ass only started aching after 3 hours so there's a plus. My back never ached at all today.
My knees which usually go first within the first half hour didn't suffer at all today and it was a horrible cold 13C. On the negative side though, I did feel an old ache return under the shoulder blade from muscular tension. I am putting it down to the cold wind down the back of the neck. My right wrist also gives the usual problems within 2 hours but today the pain only started after 4 hours.

So all in all it is a good and comfortable bike.

Phew this SS has a decent punch. Found myself sandwiched between two trucks today, dropped it 2 gears and twisted the throttle, this little bike has some go in it. It doesn't take much effort to get the front up. For the sake of sparing my life I had it passed 8000rpm for only a few seconds. It's almost run in now and ready for its first service.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts

Not sure why you feel distance trips are bad. When my SS was released to me at the dealer, I chatted at length about different running in techniques. I questioned whether the engine should be run then cooled down then run again. He said it was not necessary. I was instructed to load the engine and maintain lower than 6000 rpm, which I have done 99% of the time while I am running it in. So long trips are not bad for it. I would think ongoing short trips and cold starts are worse for it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure why you feel distance trips are bad. When my SS was released to me at the dealer, I chatted at length about different running in techniques. I questioned whether the engine should be run then cooled down then run again. He said it was not necessary. I was instructed to load the engine and maintain lower than 6000 rpm, which I have done 99% of the time while I am running it in. So long trips are not bad for it. I would think ongoing short trips and cold starts are worse for it.
I was told to vary the RPMs during the first 600 miles. The dealership recommended no prolonged rides just sitting at one small segment of RPMs and told me that riding around town and making sure that I follow up all the way to 5k with each gear along the way is the best break-in method. Doesn't mean it is correct, but that is why I am putting off my trip to Jackson and Yellowstone. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd probably like the touring screen?
I don't know how much difference the touring screen makes. It is only about 1.5 inches higher than the stock one. Of course I'm 6'8" so I don't know how it would affect a mere mortal.

I haven't done anything long distance yet either, but the screen seems adequate. Haven't compared it to the stock screen though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know how much difference the touring screen makes. It is only about 1.5 inches higher than the stock one. Of course I'm 6'8" so I don't know how it would affect a mere mortal.

I haven't done anything long distance yet either, but the screen seems adequate. Haven't compared it to the stock screen though.
I have only done small stints on the Interstate at 80 mph and was thinking I would like to get a taller screen should I do any longer trips. 1.5 inches isn't very much.

I think I will wait for an aftermarket, taller screen to come out. It will be ugly, but I will only put it on when I am heading on on a longer trip.

Here's hopin' someone makes one soon

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I have found with the original screen up I get more wind buffeting than with the screen down. When down it hits my chest and when up it hits the helmet. Based on what has been mentioned about the touring screen I can only assume it will hit my helmet with my head upright.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I and my wife Brenda each have our own identically equipped SS-S that we picked up Saturday @ AMS in Dallas Saturday. It was really hot and humid, so we spent the night and come home Sunday better weather on back roads in Oklahoma for about 350 Miles to Tulsa. We have the touring screen and found the wind protection to be better that one might think given the size of the fairing & wind screen. After riding my 2012 Multistrada for 34K miles and trying 6 different wind screens in an unsuccessful effort to get ride of the helmet buffeting, it was a pleasure to ride a bike that has ZERO helmet turbulence. There is a bit more wind on my arms & upper torso than with the MTS, but I'll trade that extra wind for clean air on my helmet everyday.

Brenda is coming off a ST3s and I previously had an ST4s. We found the riding position and attendant comfort level to be on par with the ST bikes although as one might expect, the wind protection is a bit less on the SS-S w/the touring wind screen as compared to the ST.

We found the bikes more than adequate for the full day's ride on the back roads. The last tank of gas went about 130 miles with no low fuel light, 3 bars left on the fuel level with the range showing 40 miles. I took care when filling the tank to get it as full as possible with it still on the side stand. Oddly, the range seemed to improve as the miles accumulated on the bikes, so we'll see where it winds up.

The DQS decreases the effort when riding twisties plus ups the fun factor quite a lot.

For us, any bike that can do 350 spirited miles on back roads in a day with good comfort qualifies as a sport-touring bike.

Over all, quite happy with our new bikes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts