Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My insurance list the correct VIN number, but the description shows Hypermotard. I have AAA and bike/insurance was purchased in July of this year.

To make things a little more interesting... the dealer referred my wife to a AAA agent that got us the insurance policy. When i called in to customer care with some questions a few months later, they pointed out that this policy was from AAA Southern California and needed to be transferred to AAA Northern California. I guess they are different clubs that operated independently of one another.

When i went into a local office to have it transferred, the cheapest price quote they could generate was 7-800 more for the exact same policy / coverage. At this point, they said to just keep the insurance as it's still valid for California and they couldn't come close to matching it.

When i asked my wife about when she set up the insurance (the bike was a surprise gift), she said that the dealership is the one that referred her to the AAA rep because he specialized in Ducati insurance (not sure what that means). Make me wonder if it getting classified as a Hypermotard might have had something to do with it.

Either way, the sales reps at he local office said it's fine and to just keep the insurance.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Possibly because the Hypermotard is also a 939. Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Supersport didnt show up on a lot of insurance provider system and they use the engine cap as the next filter. I had mine quoted as a Hyper as well, but my insurance lists its as Supersport, manual entry.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Possibly because the Hypermotard is also a 939. Just a thought...
Supersport didnt show up on a lot of insurance provider system and they use the engine cap as the next filter. I had mine quoted as a Hyper as well, but my insurance lists its as Supersport, manual entry.
i kind of figured that it had something to do with engine designation in the VIN #. Do you think it could have affected the price of insurance?

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
i kind of figured that it had something to do with engine designation in the VIN #. Do you think it could have affected the price of insurance?
My Hyper was 32% less than the SS, so I would say not. My SS was based on the Panigale 959. Price was the same for either bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's all about whether the company has the VIN prefixes in their databases. With new models it can take some time. When I use to do insurance it was a pain with new models because the VINs wouldnt be in the system and I'd have to manually enter them and it'd ask me a million questions to try and determine how to rate it to come up with the premium.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Pretty sure Progressive has Supersport listed for mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts