Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's why I went for a Snell rated helmet. It doesn't have a tinted inner visor though as that automatically fails Snell, but it's the only downside imo

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd hope that my HJC and SHoei modulars would be OK.

That 3/4 cafe style I bought at Cycle Gear, maybe not.

My Snells are all out of date since I went to modulars.

·
Registered
181 Posts
IMHO this is the best, most reliable helmet testing. Uses the euro names for a lot of helmets but can find pretty well anything. They buy them from shops - not manufacturer - and run better tests then others.

Most interesting thing I found was how Arai's side pods for their visors actually make the helmet more vulnerable.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

Also what is interesting is that the new ECE standard will also require lower speed/rotational impacts to be tested which is why you see a lot of new helmets with things like MIPS - no idea what DOT is doing on this.

My big issue with Snell is that the rigidness of the shell transmits a lot more G force on impacts and that higher load can do a lot of damage.

·
Registered
438 Posts
IMHO this is the best, most reliable helmet testing. Uses the euro names for a lot of helmets but can find pretty well anything. They buy them from shops - not manufacturer - and run better tests then others.

Most interesting thing I found was how Arai's side pods for their visors actually make the helmet more vulnerable.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

Also what is interesting is that the new ECE standard will also require lower speed/rotational impacts to be tested which is why you see a lot of new helmets with things like MIPS - no idea what DOT is doing on this.

My big issue with Snell is that the rigidness of the shell transmits a lot more G force on impacts and that higher load can do a lot of damage.
+1 for sharp test. Maybe even +100 i wont buy another helmet that has not been on the sharp test. I used to be all about the snell until i learned about sharp. Ditched a helmet because of the results i saw and upgraded to my current helmet .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts