Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard to tell if he's not as hungry or if what he's saying is really true... that other OEMs have progressed faster than Ducati, and he's so frustrated public expression is the only way he can apply more pressure.

Either way, I don't think it's the right approach, and won't work.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Hard to tell if he's not as hungry or if what he's saying is really true... that other OEMs have progressed faster than Ducati, and he's so frustrated public expression is the only way he can apply more pressure.

Either way, I don't think it's the right approach, and won't work.
Agreed and I think there’s probably some truth to his evaluation of the pace of progress.

However, last year we saw Rossi complain about his bike while it was Maverick Viñales who broke Yamaha’s streak of 25 losses and finish the year in 4th place so there’s something to be said for getting out there and getting after it.

Although there’s probably some truth to Dovi’s evaluation, I hope he doesn’t handle his disappointment using the same approach that Rossi did. I’d like to see him get more aggressive without losing his characteristic smoothness.

As much as these youngsters are paid, they can afford to be all about “public praise and private counsel”.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Super happy about Dovi’s victory. He totally earned it.

Was very nice to see Marc and Andrea talking through the last lap with MotoGP’s Matt Birt....great sportsmanship between the two. For me, reinforcement of Dovi’s great character and proof that Marc has grown tremendously since his start in MotoGP. Seeing Marc’s Dad give Gigi a congratulatory hug speaks volumes, too.

But most significant for me was Quartararo’s third place finish ahead of Rossi and Viñales. 20 years old, 11 GP races and three times on the podium. If I were working at Yamaha, I’d be developing the strategy to softly off-ramp Rossi and get Quartararo in the factory saddle....the young man is just full of tremendous potential.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Dovi sounds awesome, like maybe the relationship with the last teammate was not his fault.
Maybe?

Definitely think the racer responsible for any tension was JLo. I think he’s pretty smooth for the camera but in the paddock I think he can be a bit of a grouchy punk. Conversely, I think Dovi is Dovi no matter the situation.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Instant classic! A race for the ages. Marquez was so sideways on that last turn, I dont know how he kept it together, oh, yea, Marquez. Simply Amazing.

As far as Quatararo, yea, Rossi is under contract for next year, and you cant pull an NFL move and just cut him, but i think the seat is going to available for Fabio. Who knows, every factory has to be looking at him very hard. Maybe a Ducati in his future?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I don't think anyone will cut Rossi, even if Rossi was running 2nd to his teammate today which BTW, he didn't. Yamaha needs to keep all 3. Probably sorry they lost Zarco too (but perhaps they still have a hook into him while he's loaned to 2nd KTM?). After all, the purpose of MotoGP is to sell new motorcycles, too much good will into Rossi. He'll retire on his own terms.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Interesting thought for sure but I think Quartararo would be on a Honda saddle before a Ducati. Whether JLo retires or somehow gets back to a Ducati (via Pramac), he’s likely to wriggle out of his Honda nightmare thus vacating a seat for _______ . And Honda has deep enough pockets they could probably woo Quartararo away from Yamaha. Think of the potential for Honda - Marquez at 26 y/o and consistently smashing legacy records and Quartararo at 20 with the potential to take over Marquez’ reign about the time Marquez wants to retire. That’s probably six solid years of total Honda dominance.

All speculative thought on my part, but fun speculation nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
I don't think anyone will cut Rossi, even if Rossi was running 2nd to his teammate today which BTW, he didn't. Yamaha needs to keep all 3. Probably sorry they lost Zarco too (but perhaps they still have a hook into him while he's loaned to 2nd KTM?). After all, the purpose of MotoGP is to sell new motorcycles, too much good will into Rossi. He'll retire on his own terms.
I think you’re spot on....I just wish Rossi would retire himself and make room for younger riders. I don’t dislike the guy (although I lost some respect for him last year when he complained about his bike) but he has very little substantive contributions during interviews and his tactics have been superseded by all the younger riders.

How many more years will the old quarterhorse trot himself around the track for the sake of faded glory before he realizes he’s just not winning anymore? Before long, he’s going to be the Italian version of Al Bundy.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts