Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was trying to turn on a steep incline on a loose shale uneven ground turn around at the end of a very steep dead end track, I lost balance and had to lay her down on the left side.
I wasn't injured but the gear change levers tip has been bent up about 5 degrees from horizontal, the fairing has some small scratches forward and a couple of CMS lower than the gear lever and the tip of the clutch lever and bar end weight have some scratches too.
All fixable apart from the gear lever which I suspect will break if I try to straighten it with force.
Does anyone know if the tip is removable or would I have replace the whole gear lever/ shifter?

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Sorry to see this, but glad u r ok, and there’s not too much damage to the bike.

The tip of the gear lever is pressed on. So it might loosen if you try to bend it back. In fact, there is an active service bulletin to inspect and replace if needed, the lever because sometimes the end gets loose and falls off...that perhaps the dealer can do now, if it hasn’t been done already.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Shitty luck to have dropped your steed.

I've nearly dropped mine as well....

Reactions: Mr Ex

·
Registered
28 Posts
While I was trying to turn on a steep incline on a loose shale uneven ground turn around at the end of a very steep dead end track, I lost balance and had to lay her down on the left side.
I wasn't injured but the gear change levers tip has been bent up about 5 degrees from horizontal, the fairing has some small scratches forward and a couple of CMS lower than the gear lever and the tip of the clutch lever and bar end weight have some scratches too.
All fixable apart from the gear lever which I suspect will break if I try to straighten it with force.
Does anyone know if the tip is removable or would I have replace the whole gear lever/ shifter? View attachment 41782
Ouch, sorry to see it, glad you’re ok.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I weigh 60kg and when I tried to lift the bike I realised that there was a good chance that I would drop it again causing more damage. My friend who I was riding with had just turned around on his 1973 Triumph Daytona and gone back down the track to the main road about a mile away. I thought the best course of action was to wait his return before trying to lift her up, that gave me time to take a picture and chat to a disabled lady who was sat in her car looking at the view we had also come to see, 'you should have been here earlier' she said to me 'someone drove up with a caravan, you should of seen the messing that they had to turn around'. F--k me I couldn't turn a bike around in the space and they had somehow got a caravan turned around!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Pete, main thing is you are ok (y)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Mr. Ex,

Sorry to hear about that, but at least you have company! On my rental SSS last year in a German parking garage, I tried turning too sharp in first gear and next thing I know the bike is leaning in and I couldn't stop it. Clutch lever was OK but I had exactly the same experience with the shift lever. This was only about halfway through our tour so I tried bending the peg back out and it promptly broke off. For the next day I had to shift without the peg - got pretty good at it - but then started worrying about how much the rental agency would stick me for it. So we found a Ducati/BMW dealer in Austria. Good news - only about 35 Euros. Bad news - none in stock! I eventually shamed/convinced them to pull one off a new bike and put it on mine. Shifting with a peg sure felt good afterwards!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ducabike has a nice lever that's nicer than stock. Don't forget to order the pin!
Thanks for that info.
I bought a stock replacement straight away but haven't replaced the bent one as the bend is practically unnoticeable to me when I ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Mr Ex - are you thinking of getting the faring scratches fixed? I have a tiny scratch on mine, from my recent drop. Not too easy to spot and certainly not worth new faring, but just annoying to know it's there.

Keen to know if anyone has tried fixing scratches on the white S model...?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am in the waiting to get the paint and laquer codes from the paint shop (dream machine who did the limited edition paint job on my bike for Ducati Oxford). I will get some quotes for the work from local paint shops here in North Wales. Dream machine are in England where they are on a shut down because of the latest lockdown, it ends soon.
My bike started life as a white one like yours but was painted along with two other super sports in the same paint scheme as the Panagli final edition
IMG_20200716_165437930_HDR~2.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Mr Ex that is a stunning paint job. God luck with the colour codes. Surely there must be codes for the white... I will investigate.

Reactions: Mr Ex
1 - 17 of 17 Posts