Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I got luck today. I'm vacationing this week in Denver. I was running around and took a visit with Erico cycles. I was checking out the close-out table and I found the same SS939 Ducati Performance lever for $50.

I went to check out and was told they'd been marked down $20! (Regular price was $375.)

The clerk rang 'em for $21.47. And you know I couldn't resist, "Can you take off a buck forty-seven for me?"

·
Registered
2022 Supersport 950
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got luck today. I'm vacationing this week in Denver. I was running around and took a visit with Erico cycles. I was checking out the close-out table and I found the same SS939 Ducati Performance lever for $50.

I went to check out and was told they'd been marked down $20! (Regular price was $375.)

The clerk rang 'em for $21.47. And you know I couldn't resist, "Can you take off a buck forty-seven for me?"
talk about luck! Haha you better be playing the lotto

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Short arms, deep pockets 😅

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
@Triplesapper I forgot the old adage, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

I installed the levers today, No problem with the clutch but trying to install the brake lever, I discovered that the plunger piece was missing. :( OK, I'll just use the piece from the old lever. :unsure:

Wait, they're different pieces, the old one screws in and I don't have 6mm wrench to get it out, it's in too tight to use a crescent or needle vice grips. The new lever has a small hole socket in the barrel, not threaded. The barrels aren't the same sizes either. :rolleyes:

So I take it to the local shop, just to borrow a wrench. When I say shop, it's a one man operation that's been servicing my bikes for 25 years. The owner just hired a couple of new guys to help him get some of the backlog done. One of the new guys takes both levers apart. He explains that he used to own a shop where he sold $100k folding levers a year and repaired them all the time. The plunger in the original lever had to be heated and slowly wrenched out. The new lever had to have the hole stroked and tapped for the treaded plunger. He measure for length and screwed it with some blue thread locker. It took about 30 minutes. I'm a little concerned since my old lever is cannibalized and not sure if the new one will work. :unsure:

Anyway, I get it together, adjust the levers and take a test ride. It all works fine. ;)

Not the 20 minute job I expected. But lucky to have some folks can rely on (other than my Bandit being in the shop for 8 months and now needs paint because of kind of accident. The "new" guy flips bikes, so I might have a deal here :sick:) Of course I wasn't charged.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Hey it all worked out in the end just took the long way lol
It just occurred to me that screwing the plunger pin into the lever pretty much defeats the purpose of the break away function. I'm guessing the pin sits in the socket in a rubber nipple so it falls free and does not break.

dang.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Just to run this into the ground, I'm still confused about the levers I bought. I found a photo of the set on the 'net. These are just like the levers I purchased. You might note the brake lever in the photo (bottom lever) doesn't have the plunger either.

I don't get it. Does anyone here have experience with this? What am I getting wrong about it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts