Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi everyone,

Has anyone else had an email from Ducati saying they need to fit a heat shield to protect the rear shock.

Not bothered like as it?s free fix etc but just wondered?

Mine
Got the e-mail yesterday and in she goes on my day off next Friday.
This week in SoCal we had one of our typical fall heat waves, which seem to get hotter every year. Monday I rode the S to work (40 mile jaunt). Leave work at 5 pm and it's 96F in Santa Barbara, with the humidity level at what felt like 2%. About 15 miles of my commute home on the slab involves lane splitting. Usually I hop off the freeway and use the twisties in the hills above town, but decided to stay on the slab and do the split to save time and get out of the heat. While slipping along between the cars and trucks I noticed the temp gage sitting at 216F the entire way until the clog ended and normal freeway speeds resumed.
Got home and checked the rear Öhlins. The rubber baby buggy bumper looked fine, but the yellow/gold powder coat on one of the coils is showing signs of "bubbling" due to its close proximity to the tail pipe coming out of the cat.
I'll show it to the service manager next week and I'm sure he'll shrug his shoulders and tell me "that's normal", but one never knows. I'll report back.
Temps are back to normal. The ride home tomorrow afternoon will be at 74F and I'll take advantage of the twisties in the hills and avoid the mind numbing split on the slab.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Yeah, couple of weeks back with the first service. The shop I go to is small so I think I was the first one they dealt with. They had heard of the problem before seeing my yellow marshmallow but still had to contact Ducati NA and order the shock.

In spite of the shop's small size, people come from out of state to have their Ducs and Augustas serviced there and the Orlando PD have their BMWs serviced there, too.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I'll keep checking it over the next few weeks of riding. If the bump stop doesn't deform at all, I'll consider it a success even though I might have to increase the pre-load when it starts heating up this summer to compensate for the cooked oil.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
It would be great to get your view on how well the heat shield works as the weeks progress.
Early reports a couple months back was that, while the heat shield seems to work, if only marginally, the felt heat on the thighs was increased. Seems like I remember someone posting that the fix may not have worked at all and even possibly could have made it worse by trapping the heat instead of allowing to to escape. I'm not 100% on that, but it seems familiar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.