Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Is there a place for a donkey? Pick me pick me pick me to the club :D
yes, honorary member.

Of course, in the words of the great American philosopher, Groucho Marx, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." 👴

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also, the tranny on my SS is sublime. The only time I had any trouble was when the clutch pressure was way off, and once that was adjusted, all was fine again. And actually not the tranny causing the problem.
Off the showroom floor, the clutch engagement on my bike was near the bar. Stalled the engine on the test ride so had the tech adjust the lever for quicker engagement. But I still have issues with 2>3 and 6>5 and star in the Ducati film “Finding Neutral”. Just measured and the lever had less than 2mm of free play vs 3-4mm recommended in the manual. The primary lever adjuster was beyond the 11mm max too, so I readjusted to within the spec. Will take the bike for a spin later today to see if there is any improvement. My bike has about 766 miles on it and has had the first service at the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
@Ducatistraddler You might have already seen posts about the fact most SS clutches are grabby at first launch. Usually when bike has been sitting over night, or for a long time and completely cold. After first launch and when oil/clutch is warm, there should be no issue.

Regarding 2>3 and 6>5, are you using DQS or manually shifting?

Difficulty finding Neutral, well, happens to a lesser or greater degree depending on the bike. I rarely have any issues, but some have it more often. Also, 2021 model has a modification to improve this.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I hardly use the quickshifter on mine and prefer to shift with clutch.

Reactions: LowRyter and Ed K

·
Registered
34 Posts
Regarding 2>3 and 6>5, are you using DQS or manually shifting?
DQS in both cases. At first my shifter lever was too high. Moved it down and that helped. Probably need to go a tad lower still. I later turned off the autoblipper because I don’t see the point. I prefer the feel of a well executed downshift.

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
@Ducatistraddler Hopefully after run-in these issues will not be a problem...let us know how things are going after putting another 500 or so miles on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Cant find neutral, steering damper, burning oil??? I must have been exceptionally lucky, 3k miles in and none of that. Having said that im on the non-S as didnt want a quick shifter and wasnt bothered about Ohlins, maybe the basic version is better set up? And before everyone starts telling me how my life would be better with a quickshifter, i have ridden an ‘S’ when deciding which model and the quickshifter did nothing for me. I dont ride track, i can see the advantage there for laptimes. Sorry some of you are having problems but wanted to bring some balance to the forum.
Yes, the SSS I wrote about burned oil like crazy. My riding buddy said when I was on the gas it puffed white smoke on every up shift. I’ve had 18 different motorcycles and the SSS had by far the glitchiest transmission of all. It also didn’t take much fir it to begin to wobble until Dave Moss assisted me with the suspension settings.
Looking at the 21 model tho it looks like they’ve addressed many of the problems.

I put 12,000 km on the SSS and the V2 now has just over 13K on it. Anyone want a long term comparison?

Reactions: Grossi.BP and Ed K

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, the SSS I wrote about burned oil like crazy. My riding buddy said when I was on the gas it puffed white smoke on every up shift. I’ve had 18 different motorcycles and the SSS had by far the glitchiest transmission of all. It also didn’t take much fir it to begin to wobble until Dave Moss assisted me with the suspension settings.
Looking at the 21 model tho it looks like they’ve addressed many of the problems.

I put 12,000 km on the SSS and the V2 now has just over 13K on it. Anyone want a long term comparison?
Yes please! Had the same issues with the SSS myself so bought a V2 instead. Not managed many miles on it yet but it is sublime compared to the SSS so far.

Matt

·
Registered
910 Posts
My SSS was probably best bike I’ve ever ridden or owned. Suspension was perfect for me. Now that’s it probably totaled, a V2 may be replacement. How’s comfort of V2 for a day trip?

·
Registered
155 Posts
My SSS was probably best bike I’ve ever ridden or owned. Suspension was perfect for me. Now that’s it probably totaled, a V2 may be replacement. How’s comfort of V2 for a day trip?
If it's anything like my 848 (and I think it is, based on sitting on one) then it will be perfectly miserable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I went on a 800 KM day trip thru the Rockies about a month ago. I was beat at the end of it.
Then I’m 60 something years old too.

My longest ride on my SSS was about 500 km. I’d say both tired me out equally at the 500 km
The V2 certainly has you crouched more, but the position of the pegs in relation to the bars and seat make it surprisingly comfortable.
I was crawling all over the bike as the roads had many many corners as well.It was the most fun I’ve had on pavement on any bike.

I don’t think I’d want to ride any bike 800 km again lol. Having said that we are going out on a 800 + km jaunt on Sunday through the Rockies again. I’ll be tired for sure, but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I went on a 800 KM day trip thru the Rockies about a month ago. I was beat at the end of it.
Then I’m 60 something years old too.

My longest ride on my SSS was about 500 km. I’d say both tired me out equally at the 500 km
The V2 certainly has you crouched more, but the position of the pegs in relation to the bars and seat make it surprisingly comfortable.
I was crawling all over the bike as the roads had many many corners as well.It was the most fun I’ve had on pavement on any bike.

I don’t think I’d want to ride any bike 800 km again lol. Having said that we are going out on a 800 + km jaunt on Sunday through the Rockies again. I’ll be tired for sure, but it will be worth it.
If you can't ride more than 300 miles on an SSS, why would you consider a V2?

The naughty question, is when would you ever get on the power band to on that V2? I mean the SSS is OK to 120+, so when when do you ever hit 145 mph + on the V2?

Now you have to expect to be roughed some on the SS forum when you brag about a V2. Anyway, expect it or not, here it is.

:geek:

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
There’s plenty of open roads for serious V2 speed in those areas mapped out above!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
There’s plenty of open roads for serious V2 speed in those areas mapped out above!
You can ride a V2 for a 400 mile day!

Anyway, this is an SS forum. Next we'll be praising Sportsters and GSX-Rs ;)

41 - 60 of 70 Posts