Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
When I was in the British Army we used to train on the prairie at Camp Crowfoot near Medicine Hat in Canada. The Battle Group of Tanks, Gunners, Infantry, Army Air Corps, Medics and we Royal Engineers blasting around the prairie getting bitten to death by mozzies! The Tankies in their Challenger Tanks and the Infantry in their Warrior Armoured Vehicles and us Engineers running around in dilapidated Chieftain Tank based Bridge Layers and AFV 432's from the 60's trying to keep up with the faster vehicles; we looked like Fred Karno's Army. Of course as soon as the Battle Group hit an obstacle - river, minefield or needed a bridge building - the Brigade Commander used to shout ' Where's my Sappers' and we would come trundling up all nonchalantly whilst they provided Over Watch for us to do our thing. Fond memories of going on R&R to Vancouver, Calgary and down town 'Hat' :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
If you can't ride more than 300 miles on an SSS, why would you consider a V2?

The naughty question, is when would you ever get on the power band to on that V2? I mean the SSS is OK to 120+, so when when do you ever hit 145 mph + on the V2?

Now you have to expect to be roughed some on the SS forum when you brag about a V2. Anyway, expect it or not, here it is.

:geek:
The thing is I CAN ride more than 500 KM on either the SSS or the V2. They both hurt equally, but are hella fun.
As for the powerband, there’s a shifter on the bike, lower left, just in front of the foot peg. This amazing contraption allows you to vary the rpm and maintain a good speed to the revs per minute. It’s absolutely amazing.

Loved my SSS, just progressed past it’s performance ability.

FWIW I’m pondering a V4 or a S1000RR because the same thing is happening with the Pani.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You know, lot of people think V2 overkill as you can’t utilize all of its speed on the road. Same goes for my 911, top speed 174, but have never visited that. Sweet spot is around 125. Much fun even though not used to potential.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
You know, lot of people think V2 overkill as you can’t utilize all of its speed on the road. Same goes for my 911, top speed 174, but have never visited that. Sweet spot is around 125. Much fun even though not used to potential.
I think the top speed of both would be similar, although I’ve never reached close to it.
I never got my 911 close either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My SSS was probably best bike I’ve ever ridden or owned. Suspension was perfect for me. Now that’s it probably totaled, a V2 may be replacement. How’s comfort of V2 for a day trip?
I really want a Panigale V2 but, I also realize the riding position and power profile are not really compatible with my lifestyle. Sure, it has a significant top-end rush boost over the 937/950 options and will carve canyon roads better. However, I don't live near canyons and a 100+ Hp will still get me easily over 100MPH and thrown in jail so, how much faster do I want to go? Will I really enjoy a long-distance roadtrip riding like a Gargoyle (a bit of an exaggeration but, there is a grain of truth there)?

I've only been to 110~120MPH once to outrun a road rage idiot trying to run me down. I was in a Grand Marquis on I-40 in Next Mexico in the wee hours of the morning and was surprised to find the semi could do 90MPH and that my little 4.6L V-8 could do ~120MPH and still had more left. :mad:

My ~10mile "sprint" on I-40 was an extreme "one-time" event. That being said, some rural roads out there are 75MPH and I have seen 80MPH speed limits on the Interstate in West Texas. That suggests to me, for long-distance trips, I NEED more power than a typical ~650cc motor will provide for high-speed roads with enough extra power "overhead" to still have adequate acceleration and top end velocity to provide a margin of safety in extreme situations.

A Panigale also will be harder to use with luggage for those longer distance trips. Now for shorter distance local trips on good roads, the Panigale would be a fun ride.

As a previous poster said, "horses for courses". A Draft horse is hard to rope off and, a Quarter horse makes a poor choice to pull a wagon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For more "local" general hooliganism or canyon carving, don't discount the fun something like the Kawasaki KLX-300SM "SuperMoto" provides.

For myself, I can really wring its neck and stay under 100MPH while having an absolute ball! It is cheap to insure and run so, it is a really tempting option for a local run to a coffee joint or to grab a bite out somewhere.

Would I ever leave 1st gear on a Panigale V2 on a 45MPH country road? On a KLX-300SM that is about 4500RPM in 6th gear! ;) I've had it up to 80MPH and it would probably do low 90's if I pushed it harder but, that's not what this motorcycle is about and it generally lives on 45MPH roads with a few jaunts on 65MPH roads.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Anyone know if V2 has loops under seat, like 939, to use Kriega packs? Love my Kriegas.

Reactions: Ed K
61 - 70 of 70 Posts