Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Not the way I would do it. I'd take out the springs and spacers and after emptying all the oil out would fill with fresh fluid to the specified level.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not the way I would do it. I'd take out the springs and spacers and after emptying all the oil out would fill with fresh fluid to the specified level.
I did try this with the Marzocchi, and I couldn't do it that way. I couldn't get the oil out at all in that way.

Does anyone know the correct oil level for the forks?

Manual gives only cc's which is kinda stupid.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I did try this with the Marzocchi, and I couldn't do it that way. I couldn't get the oil out at all in that way.

Do you mean the way the guy on the Youtube clip shows it? Or by removing the springs and spacers? You do have to pump the damper rod until the cartridge is empty.

As you say the Owners manual only gives the quantities but since Ducati won't sell a workshop manual for the Supersport it's going to be difficult to find out what the level should be. I'll see what I find out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do you mean the way the guy on the Youtube clip shows it? Or by removing the springs and spacers? You do have to pump the damper rod until the cartridge is empty.

As you say the Owners manual only gives the quantities but since Ducati won't sell a workshop manual for the Supersport it's going to be difficult to find out what the level should be. I'll see what I find out.
I ended up making such a mess, that I need to take the fork apart and do it normally. Ie. I need the oil level without the spring. I don't think there is any way I can reliably get the oil level right trying to estimate the spillage.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts

I think the spec is 150 from the top. If that's confusing then pour the oil from the fork into a measuring jug then you know how much new oil to put in.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I put the question to one of the UK forum members who is a Ducati Tech running his own official Ducati Service Centre.
This is his reply:

"Nope... we only have oil volumes for either fork. Refill/service is based on a full strip and oil volumes from a "dry" fork. Air gap will probably follow as the forks come into the aftermarket and folk work out the air gaps, but for now that's all we have to work with to."​

·
Registered
175 Posts
I put the question to one of the UK forum members who is a Ducati Tech running his own official Ducati Service Centre.
This is his reply:

"Nope... we only have oil volumes for either fork. Refill/service is based on a full strip and oil volumes from a "dry" fork. Air gap will probably follow as the forks come into the aftermarket and folk work out the air gaps, but for now that's all we have to work with to."​
Well, that does simplify the thing then, I guess. just a different method of doing it, I guess.

Thank you ever so much for your help, Derek! And you too Amos! Really invaluable stuff guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts