Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
321 - 340 of 348 Posts

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Interestingly the manual says to measure the level whilst hot or at least it does in the Panigale manual....it was a first for me anyway.

Matt
Yes, at first seemed a bit odd to me too. But I guess it figures, bc the SFV2 runs significantly hotter than the SS, and perhaps that’s the main reason the oil expands more from cold to hot. And the manual is indicating to check hot to ensure its not overfilled. Especially in light of the fact of the higher reving character of the V2 motor that might do more damage from overfill at high revs.

The fact that the SFV2 runs hotter is in itself interesting bc the compression ratios are about the same as the SS motor. Maybe a shorter stroke runs hotter (even when at the same rev)?

FYI, for our Community Members without V2 motorcycles who are curious, on the SS, I noticed approx 2-3 mm difference cold to hot, while on the SFV2 approx a 5 mm difference.

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Captains log, approaching 1300 miles.

My love affair with SFV2 continues, as we have really gotten to know each other.

She has only been ridden in a Sport mode from day one. And I continue to exercise her full capabilities up and down the rev range in the backroads, where it is safe to do so. Wheelie control activated many times today taming power wheelies in various gears at different points on my route. (Wheelie control has 4 levels, and also “off”. In Sport mode, the default is Level 2. Will soon drop it to Level 1.)

As I am now with each ride winding her out hard to the upper rev ranges, I can see that a bit of oil is being consumed.

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Post-ride clean and inspection revealed missing screw from Evo Tail Tidy license plate light bracket. Have requested a replacement. All other Tail Tidy screws tight as a drum, just that one somehow came loose. Will Loctite that one next time.

Automotive design Bag Automotive exterior Luggage and bags Electric blue

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hmm, better check mine. I used the medium Loctite on mine, so fingers crossed that's enough.

I now have 300kms on mine, but it's winter over here and the weather has been crap, so I'm struggling to find some warm dry roads. What I've noticed so far is how quick the bike turns in. It's maybe not as stable as the Supersport (definitely only a maybe), but that's the price you pay for a shorter wheelbase and a bike that turns on a dime.

Brakes are great, riding position is comfortable, a bit more engine braking than the SS I think. I was worried that it might lack the torque I enjoyed so much on the SS, but that hasn't been noticeable at all so far. The shorter stroke engine naturally sits higher in the rev range, so it's not like you have to go looking for that sweet spot. Having said that, I'm still trying to keep it under 6k, so I have no idea about the power as yet. Can't wait to make full use of it!

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
@Bad Alice Right on! As it’s run-in you’ll be greeted with a very pleasant, different experience at the upper rev range.

…Perhaps semantics, but I might use the term more “nimble” rather than less “stable” to describe the SFV2… 😂 I push mine hard now, and it is the most planted bike I have ever ridden at speed.

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
Captain’s log 1324 miles. Big black SUV ahead on the backroads “owning” the road, while I repeat alone in my helmet: “Safety First, Safety First…”

Then a safe opportunity arises. I pass, safely and courteously, not doing a Sport Bike pass so as not to startle him. Then after safely around him…I give it the beans. Second to Third to redline… power wheelie in Third, into triple digit mph speeds. Surprised me a bit. Hmm, maybe I’ll leave DWC in the Sport default mode of Level 2 a little while longer. 😂 Streetfighter, yes, a proper name…

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
…A guy’s gotta have some proper fun, right? 🔥

SFV2 will rest tomorrow, since I’ll be switching gears to recording and mixing tomorrow.

SFV2 also needs another chain cleaning and lube, before the next ride. And I just ordered screws used when removing cap to replace the oil filter…interesting oil change process involved for the V2 motor. I’ll change her at 3,000 miles.

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
I posted this a while ago in a different section, but for those who might be curious how to change the V2 motor oil, here’s a good vid about that.

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
@Triplesapper Interesting process to remove the cap that reveals the oil filter. Scroll to the 7 minute mark in the vid above to see details. But basically, after first unscrewing two bolts to hold the oil filter cap on, two larger bolts are screwed into the same place to push the cap off!

The reason it works is the the first two bolts are smaller and go straight through the cap and thread into the engine block. The second larger two bolts thread in the cap itself and push against the block to lift off the cap! Apparently without this process it’s almost impossible to get that cap off!

Not single use bolts. Remove larger bolts from cap after removing it to access the oil filter, then put the original smaller bolts back to secure cap again after changing filter.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
Addendum to Captain’s log 1324 miles noted above. After getting stuck at an intergalactic stop light (wouldn’t trigger for my Motorcycle Starship, and traffic in cross direction was too busy to run the light this time, although it’s legal here to do that), I was surprised to see 220 F on the dash. Immediately made a right turn onto the road instead of waiting to go straight through to cool down.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Reminds me of location of oil filter on my old BMW, though it is easy to pry off, once bolts removed. On another note, how’s the summer seat “heater” compared to SS? Mine (on SS) works rather too well. LOL

Reactions: Ed K

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
@Paddlefoot64 Much less heat felt by the rider from SFV2 even though it runs hotter than the SS. In fact, even in 90F weather while sitting at that stoplight I mentioned above, it’s not even noticeable.

The SFV2 very efficiently directs heat downward, under and outward from the bike. I first noticed this after a ride in hot weather, when the fans continue to run for a minute or so after shut down. I saw a little leave on the floor blown away that got my attention. Then took a closer look at the how efficiently the hot air is exhausted down and away from the rider.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
@Triplesapper Interesting process to remove the cap that reveals the oil filter. Scroll to the 7 minute mark in the vid above to see details. But basically, after first unscrewing two bolts to hold the oil filter cap on, two larger bolts are screwed into the same place to push the cap off!

The reason it works is the the first two bolts are smaller and go straight through the cap and thread into the engine block. The second larger two bolts thread in the cap itself and push against the block to lift off the cap! Apparently without this process it’s almost impossible to get that cap off!

Not single use bolts. Remove larger bolts from cap after removing it to access the oil filter, then put the original smaller bolts back to secure cap again after changing filter.
Ducati just making things difficult :rolleyes:

321 - 340 of 348 Posts