Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
341 - 348 of 348 Posts

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
Captain's log, 1348 miles. Strange phenomena occurring with regards to rear tire pressures.

But first, a confession: I should check tire pressures more often than just sometimes. I used to check every single time before each ride, instead of just a quick look and feel, and need to re-discipline myself!

Anyway, I did check the tire pressures after discovering these holes (from post #277 of this thread) during a post ride inspection, and the pressure seemed to hold, so I concluded the holes didn’t go all the way through.

But yesterday when cleaning/lubing the chain, and doing a general inspection including tire pressures, the pressures were low in both front and rear. So I filled them, and checked this morning before my ride. Front no change. Rear, seemed to lose approx 0.5 psi. I thought hmm, maybe nothing. So I went out for my ride at normal pace, and then checked pressure after tires cooled a bit. And then it seemed to have lost about 1 to 1.5 psi. Hmmm... I thought maybe those holes have a slow leak(?). Checked and double checked by spraying water. Could see no bubbles or movement of water at holes! I was about the plug both of them anyway, figuring they must be leaking so slowly I can’t even see it, and then decided to check the rest of the tire, again.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Helmet

And this is what I found...embedded in a different section of the tire. After removing whatever that is, I tried to plug it with the DynaPlug, twice, but it leaked, twice. Have had much success with DynaPlug in the past and posted about it on the Forum, but it failed this time. So I used the traditional plug instead. Refilled tire, and will check tomorrow before riding. Fortunately, it's exactly in the middle of the tire. So in conclusion, the phenomena was not that strange after all... those holes were not and did not leak, but after I found those holes, apparently, I picked up this other piece of metal that caused another hole and slow leak. Well, at least that’s the theory, will find out for sure tomorrow. :)

Brown Water Amber Wood Flooring

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
Captain’s log 1409 miles. Bakery run today, with a few red-line squirts and spirited sweepers in between. Ahhh, fresh baked zucchini with ricotta cream cheese inside, and sour dough bread with herbs and a touch of garlic for my lady and I. Yum! Oh, back to the motorcycling...

Noticed my right mirror was a little off on the way back, and thought, hmmm, no one bumped it. How did that happen? So as I was riding I gently grabbed it, careful not to scratch the mirror with gloves, and then discovered the stalk was slightly loose. Will tighten up. But in a way it was a good thing to discover bc the mirrors don't adjust that much, and rotating the stalk provides a lot more adjustment.

Back to the tire plug...visually it looks fine after the bakery run test, spirited if not limited in mileage. Will check pressure later after the tire cools down.

Back ordered seat cowl arrived at dealer. Will make a run for it sometime next week.

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
No leaks…

Mirror stalk screws are counter-rotating…interesting. Also, even when fully tightened, with some pressure, can rotate stalks; perhaps intentionally by design…

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Has Scotty managed to get any more power out of the warp core?

Reactions: Ed K

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
@Triplesapper Scotty has gotten very accustomed to extracting maximum Warp Drive from the Enterprise with each venture!

The dilithium crystal chambers and associated cooling system do an outstanding job as every bit of antimatter is consumed for maximum thrust fighting the Romulins and other bad actors.

What Scotty has found through pushing the ship to the edge at my command (rather than through calculations, that Scotty would have preferred) is that between Warp 7,000 and Warp 10,000 lives maximum thrust. And while although there’s incremental thrust pushing to the melt-down warning zone at Warp 11,000, there isn’t much to be gained between Warp 10,000 and Warp 11,000 when in fight or escape modes, unless I’m too busy giving orders to Lieutenant Sulu while navigating the ship through the galaxies.

Meanwhile, McCoy keeps telling me to be careful, and I love and appreciate him for that, but tell him not to worry so much because I am exercising good judgement. Also, the ship has not stopped long enough to need the linguistic skills of Lieutenant Uhura, that would surely be useful when venturing deep into the foreign and strange land of USA country roads. But she is on full alert and standby. So fortunate and appreciative to be leading such an outstanding crew, when commanding this Starship Enterprise.

Post script: Oh, I never name my ships, but guess I just named her. 😂

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
So you have discovered that optimum warp is achieved between 7000 and 10000?

Watch out for those pesky Klingons with their cloaking device - aka the Police with their speed cameras (y)

Reactions: Ed K

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
For all practical purposes, yes, between Warp 7-10. I noticed when I’m not actively watching the tach I naturally shift at about 10 when moving at a clip. But if I’m closely watching the tach I will push it till orange flash around 10600. Getting to know the sound of the motor well at this stage to do it more intuitively when ripping. But yellow or red flash do well to get my attention, as it should, if I’m not actively watching.

Fortunately, no speed cameras back there, and rarely any Klingons or Romulans, but still keep a watchful eye. And I behave when approaching populated areas.

Antimatter motor will remain stock. Rear deflector shield (aka seat cowl) will be obtained and installed next week.

341 - 348 of 348 Posts