Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have tried to search out an answer, but I can't seem to find a definitive one. I have seen posts which make me think not -- "keep throttle partially open when slowing for a turn". But then I see other posts which make it sound like "sport" mode has less engine braking than "touring". I pretty much exclusively ride in "touring" mode, but I would like to have less engine braking when off the throttle.

So, is there a setting that can be tweaked to regulate the amount of engine braking?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I have tried to search out an answer, but I can't seem to find a definitive one. I have seen posts which make me think not -- "keep throttle partially open when slowing for a turn". But then I see other posts which make it sound like "sport" mode has less engine braking than "touring". I pretty much exclusively ride in "touring" mode, but I would like to have less engine braking when off the throttle.

So, is there a setting that can be tweaked to regulate the amount of engine braking?
Yes, downshift one fewer time. Maybe two. That should do it.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The only way to achieve less engine braking without installing a Rapid Evo or some sort of power commander is to be in a higher gear. engine braking on this bike is not excessive ? i suspect you feel you are slowing too much around bends ?(could be wrong)if this is the case try a higher gear or enter the corner quicker.

·
Super Moderator
5,966 Posts
@sadsak The SS does not have EBC, like the V4. So no difference in EB in Touring vs Sport modes for the SS, or other manually chosen configurations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my main issue is that I have never ridden a twin before and the most modern bike I have ridden before the SS was a V65 Magna :) Cutting the throttle and having the bike immediately start to quickly slow down is a bit of a nuisance at times. I am sure it is just because I am still learning the ways of the SS, but at times it is a bit of a PITA :) Anyhow, I will try the higher gear approach and thanks for clarifying that there is no option in the standard firmware.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Engine breaking is one of the most satisfying experience on a bike to me. Somehow I feel a lot more in control when I control the bike's speed with the throttle and clutch combo rather than relying on break pads, even if it's not the correct way of riding :)

I rode with a RoSPA instructor not too long ago and he was on a 2016 Monster 1200R. He said because of huge engine breaking he rarely uses breaks at all and unless he is about to stop completely, his indication of a wrong speed and wrong assessment of a corner is when he needs to use any break going into a corner on public roads, doing legal speeds etc. I had some hard time trying to catch up with him on narrow English twisty roads, so it's not like he was slow (or maybe I am:))

Reactions: Oldrider

·
Super Moderator
5,966 Posts
Exactly. I use engine braking very often in combination with the brakes, usually encouraging engine braking even more by downshifting when setting up for a corner to help settle the chassis and prepare for egress. Most of the work is done by the engine braking, although some by the brakes. Also, although I have a QS on my SSS, I prefer to manually shift on the street for more precise control in combo with engine and wheel braking.

Engine breaking is one of the most satisfying experience on a bike to me. Somehow I feel a lot more in control when I control the bike's speed with the throttle and clutch combo rather than relying on break pads, even if it's not the correct way of riding :)

I rode with a RoSPA instructor not too long ago and he was on a 2016 Monster 1200R. He said because of huge engine breaking he rarely uses breaks at all and unless he is about to stop completely, his indication of a wrong speed and wrong assessment of a corner is when he needs to use any break going into a corner on public roads, doing legal speeds etc. I had some hard time trying to catch up with him on narrow English twisty roads, so it's not like he was slow (or maybe I am:))

·
Registered
135 Posts
The engine braking is a bit strong compared to my Striple 765R, which is a 3-cyl, but I've also had to replace the front brake pads on that bike at 12k miles, while the SSS pads look hardly used. Which is good since the Brembo M50 calipers on the Triumph were around $75 per pair of pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts