Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This light came on after filling with fuel yesterday.

Has anyone else had this light on?

It says in the manual "It turns on in the case of 'engine' that in some cases will lock the engine"

I called Ducati breakdown and they sent the AA out which was no help whatsoever because they don't have anything to plug into the bike! I then called the dealer and read out what it says in the manual about it could lock the engine and they said just ride it in and they will look.

My main concern is that if it does lock a) it could cause me a problem with safety b) it could ruin the engine and c) would they then deny telling me to ride the bike

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Why don't you get the DDA cable and an obdII reader, observe the error and clear it. You can get the cable from Lonelec (Probably the best quality out there)
I have one and cleared the mil and nothing came back. Before spending fruitless money it's best to get the cable and check things over before taking it to a dealer which generally spin you a yarn so they can make some money from unsuspecting bikers.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I had one on my 1st big ride out at about 450km on the clock and had to do 300km to get home. I stoped for 20min then rode home. The next day when I started the bike the light had disappeared I then took it for its 1st service I asked them if there were any faults that showed up on the log and they said no its all good. its under warrantee so I'm not worried if there is anything wrong I want it to show in the warrantee period.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I've not bad this error, but i did have the "generic error warning light". It has since went away and, like you, did not register in the ECU when I took her in for her first service. While I'm glad it no longer has the warning, I'm now a little apprehensive and find myself checking the dash specifically for that warning. In time, I hope to stop these incessant checking...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why don't you get the DDA cable and an obdII reader, observe the error and clear it. You can get the cable from Lonelec (Probably the best quality out there)
I have one and cleared the mil and nothing came back. Before spending fruitless money it's best to get the cable and check things over before taking it to a dealer which generally spin you a yarn so they can make some money from unsuspecting bikers.
I won't be paying anything as it is under warranty, but I do wish to no what the problem is so it is at the dealer now. They haven't confirmed yet what made the light come on. This morning before taking it to the dealer, the light had already gone out so I doubt it is anything serious.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I won't be paying anything as it is under warranty, but I do wish to no what the problem is so it is at the dealer now. They haven't confirmed yet what made the light come on. This morning before taking it to the dealer, the light had already gone out so I doubt it is anything serious.
your choice, personally I prefer to know what is going on with my bike...warranty or no warranty, it's good practice to know...I enjoy TELLING the mechanic what's up, that way they know who is the chief.

·
Registered
828 Posts
your choice, personally I prefer to know what is going on with my bike...warranty or no warranty, it's good practice to know...I enjoy TELLING the mechanic what's up, that way they know who is the chief.
Well not everyone is mechanically savvy such as yourself. Some of us have to rely on the dealerships expertise and honesty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my SS last night when shifting from 1st to 2nd, it would come on for less than a second. It randomly would come on.

Where is the ODBII port on this bike?

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,723 Posts
It is under the seat, a 4 pin SICMA connector. You won't be able to read any errors because it is not OBDII compliant.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Well, well! What software/hardware are you using to connect to the ECU and what can it tell you? I already have the cables.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I tried Torque Lite today and it can certainly communicate with the ECU. There were no error codes showing. I could read rpm, engine temperature, air pressure and a few others. I'm not sure if it could reset a service light or not, I'll find out next year sometime. Apparently MelcoDiag, which I already have as I used it on the MTS1200 will talk to the MD3 ECU but will only clear the service light, which is all most folk will need anyway.
Out of interest I tried connecting Torque to the Scrambler. It cycled through various OBD protocols but no deal. So the SS must be getting more towards fully OBD compliant which will be a requirement for Euro 5 in 2021. The SS is Euro 4 but my (2015) Scrambler is only Euro 3 and uses the MC3 ECU.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I tried Torque Lite today and it can certainly communicate with the ECU. There were no error codes showing. I could read rpm, engine temperature, air pressure and a few others. I'm not sure if it could reset a service light or not, I'll find out next year sometime. Apparently MelcoDiag, which I already have as I used it on the MTS1200 will talk to the MD3 ECU but will only clear the service light, which is all most folk will need anyway.
Out of interest I tried connecting Torque to the Scrambler. It cycled through various OBD protocols but no deal. So the SS must be getting more towards fully OBD compliant which will be a requirement for Euro 5 in 2021. The SS is Euro 4 but my (2015) Scrambler is only Euro 3 and uses the MC3 ECU.
Good news. What I like analysing is how the ECU changes the air fuel ratio at differing temperatures and rpm. It's a clever piece of kit the M3D.
Melcodiag will not work on our ecu but in his download list are other options, I have posted the link in here a few times.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yesterday I rode again my bike after the 4 months winter stop, the engine started without any problem at the first shot, but, suddenly the MIL light came up.
So, today I went to my dealer and the diagnosis tool detected two errors: one in the kickstand security switch and one in the exhaust valve.
I can’t feel any issue while riding and the mechanic was concerned only about the kickstand because it potentially could stop me anytime, and he’ll ask the factory for what to do, for the exhaust he has to investigate better.
By now I returned home with the light still on...

·
Super Moderator
7,816 Posts
Yesterday I rode again my bike after the 4 months winter stop, the engine started without any problem at the first shot, but, suddenly the MIL light came up.
So, today I went to my dealer and the diagnosis tool detected two errors: one in the kickstand security switch and one in the exhaust valve.
I can’t feel any issue while riding and the mechanic was concerned only about the kickstand because it potentially could stop me anytime, and he’ll ask the factory for what to do, for the exhaust he has to investigate better.
By now I returned home with the light still on...
Thank you for letting us know and for keeping us posted, Mario. Hope they fix it quickly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This light came on after filling with fuel yesterday.

Has anyone else had this light on?

It says in the manual "It turns on in the case of 'engine' that in some cases will lock the engine"

I called Ducati breakdown and they sent the AA out which was no help whatsoever because they don't have anything to plug into the bike! I then called the dealer and read out what it says in the manual about it could lock the engine and they said just ride it in and they will look.

My main concern is that if it does lock a) it could cause me a problem with safety b) it could ruin the engine and c) would they then deny telling me to ride the bike
The engine will not "lock" while you're riding...that means it won't start.

My advice to every owner is get an OBD II reader, if you don't have one...get one that reads AND resets codes...also, you'll need an adapter to tap into the Ducati plug...like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
The engine will not "lock" while you're riding...that means it won't start.

My advice to every owner is get an OBD II reader, if you don't have one...get one that reads AND resets codes...also, you'll need an adapter to tap into the Ducati plug...like this:
The problem with a stand switch fault is not only that it won't allow the bike to start but if the fault happens while you are riding the bike it will kill the engine. So it is a very definite safety issue.

Reactions: Ed K
1 - 20 of 36 Posts