Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since I got my bike it's had pretty loud engine noise, which I chocked up to it being a Ducati and everything's normal.

I'm not so sure though, After watching a lot of videos of these bikes being dyno'd or of various exhausts, They don't seem to have the same quantity of (valve?) noise that mine does. I hear it as much as the Akra exhaust while riding.

It's pretty quiet below 2700 rpm and above 3k gets substantially louder. At idle I have a sound almost like a dry clutch rattle, which these bikes don't have! Any thoughts?

Bike has 3,900mi and the Akra exhaust with dB-killers in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you push the clutch lever, does the sound is different? Less noisy?
On mine when I do this, sound is lower.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulling in the clutch (and putting it in gear) makes no difference.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ever since I got my bike it's had pretty loud engine noise, which I chocked up to it being a Ducati and everything's normal.

I'm not so sure though, After watching a lot of videos of these bikes being dyno'd or of various exhausts, They don't seem to have the same quantity of (valve?) noise that mine does. I hear it as much as the Akra exhaust while riding.

It's pretty quiet below 2700 rpm and above 3k gets substantially louder. At idle I have a sound almost like a dry clutch rattle, which these bikes don't have! Any thoughts?

Bike has 3,900mi and the Akra exhaust with dB-killers in.
yours sounds amazing compared to mine... mine sounds like there is a bag of nails getting chewed up in the bottom
Of the engine... and mine had progressively gotten a bad vibration the longer I’ve had it. Feels like the engine is going to blow up on me. It wasn’t at all like that the first 6 months but then after about 7000km it just started acting funny and more vibey little by little to now it’s almost unbearable to ride. It’s unnerving... especially coming on to the throttle in a turn. I’ve told my dealer over and over that something is up but they say it’s “normal” but I think it’s bullshit. Would be one thing if it was similar to when I bought the bike but it’s not even the same bike anymore. Got even worse after the desmo.

I called Ducati as I've had so many issues with the bike it's unreal. He pulled up my file and said " wow! i see you've really been through it with your bike!" I was like.. YEP! I'll never buy another one. ha ha Worst bike I ever owned which is sad because it was the best bike i ever owned first 6 months in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I pulled the valve cover and checked clearances. Openers were pretty good, but the some of the closers were over double the max, like .25mm. There's my noise! I rented the Shim Kit and I'm going to bring them down to spec on the tight side for the closers and loose side for the openers (as valves wear in, the opposite will happen).

My theory as to why the closer noise doesn't exist at low engine speeds <2500rpm is the clothespin spring on the valve opener preloads the valvetrain onto the opening cam, and is strong enough to close the valves on it's own until 2-3k rpm (functioning as a conventional valvetrain). As such the closer cam lobe doesn't really start to make contact to push the valves closed until 2-3k rpm on up in the rev range when the spring alone can't close the valves fast enough to keep the system preloaded on the opening cam, and the closer cam comes into play.

·
Registered
115 Posts
yours sounds amazing compared to mine... mine sounds like there is a bag of nails getting chewed up in the bottom
Of the engine... and mine had progressively gotten a bad vibration the longer I’ve had it. Feels like the engine is going to blow up on me. It wasn’t at all like that the first 6 months but then after about 7000km it just started acting funny and more vibey little by little to now it’s almost unbearable to ride. It’s unnerving... especially coming on to the throttle in a turn. I’ve told my dealer over and over that something is up but they say it’s “normal” but I think it’s bullshit. Would be one thing if it was similar to when I bought the bike but it’s not even the same bike anymore. Got even worse after the desmo.

I called Ducati as I've had so many issues with the bike it's unreal. He pulled up my file and said " wow! i see you've really been through it with your bike!" I was like.. YEP! I'll never buy another one. ha ha Worst bike I ever owned which is sad because it was the best bike i ever owned first 6 months in.
If you're that unhappy with it HeartofDavid, then it's time to say farewell to the Supersport. Sounds as if you may have got a Friday afternoon bike :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts