Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys.
The northern hemisphere owners have had the luxury of the SS being released in summer.
In light of knowledge sharing can you demonstrate your experience of the engine and ambient temperature this summer.
For example anything above ambient temperature of 85°F / 30°C. Let us know your associated engine temperature and what you have done to keep it cool.

·
Registered
886 Posts
At speed cruising the canyons it's pretty stable between 165F/74C and 180F/82C. On a cooler morning (60F/15C ambient) at high speed cruising it'll settle in at 155F/68C. On a normal day I'll come into the neighborhood from commuting via the freeway at 175F/80C and by the time I get the stand down it's at 195F/90C. I've never seen it above 216F/102C, but I tend to avoid traffic as much as possible.

The bike cools quickly in airflow over 35 MPH/ 55 KPH. Less than that and it tends to retain heat.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At speed cruising the canyons it's pretty stable between 165F/74C and 180F/82C. On a cooler morning (60F/15C ambient) at high speed cruising it'll settle in at 155F/68C. On a normal day I'll come into the neighborhood from commuting via the freeway at 175F/80C and by the time I get the stand down it's at 195F/90C. I've never seen it above 216F/102C, but I tend to avoid traffic as much as possible.

The bike cools quickly in airflow over 35 MPH/ 55 KPH. Less than that and it tends to retain heat.
what was the ambient temperature in your worst case. The numbers you have given are what I am getting in winter at ambient 23°C.

·
Registered
886 Posts
what was the ambient temperature in your worst case. The numbers you have given are what I am getting in winter at ambient 23°C.
Worst case ambient was probably 90F/32C, that's when I'm seeing the higher numbers around 185F/85C at high speed cruise. Most summer days around me are pretty ideal riding, 80F/27C with cloudless skies and 20% humidity.

We are supposed to be over 100F/38C this week, I'll probably keep the bike parked and myself in a cool dark place.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worst case ambient was probably 90F/32C, that's when I'm seeing the higher numbers around 185F/85C at high speed cruise. Most summer days around me are pretty ideal riding, 80F/27C with cloudless skies and 20% humidity.

We are supposed to be over 100F/38C this week, I'll probably keep the bike parked and myself in a cool dark place.
Thanks. Your summer climate is similar to the city where I live. We have other hot areas which sadly is where the twisties are....General temperature there is 95°F upwards.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts

I agree for the most part, here, except I think the 35 MPH is a little low, IMO. Needs to be at 45-50 MPH to keep cool.

80F/27C with cloudless skies and 20% humidity.
This is probably why I need 10 MPH more to keep her cool. Our humidity hovers in the 50-65% most summers.

As they say here, "we have weather you can wear!"

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are your engine and ambient temperatures similar.
Hopefully we can get numbers above 85°F 30°C.
I think that is the danger zone.

·
Registered
442 Posts
What amazes me is the range of heat you get with the motor. Its not linear - if the ambient temps get above 80F the motor runs around 200F. If the temps are in the 70's - the temps never get above 180F are closer to 165F - 175F.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't had my fan kick in yet. Is it at 95°C where it is activated. I have only had mine at 93 so far.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Are your engine and ambient temperatures similar.
Hopefully we can get numbers above 85°F 30°C.
I think that is the danger zone.
Yes, and when we hit 90+°F, the bike temp raises only about 5-10°F...WHILE IN MOTION. All bets are off while stuck in traffic. I'm impressed with the low temps, TBH.

What amazes me is the range of heat you get with the motor. Its not linear - if the ambient temps get above 80F the motor runs around 200F. If the temps are in the 70's - the temps never get above 180F are closer to 165F - 175F.
I don't get nearly as hot as you, it seems. This weekend was in the low to mid 80's and while cruising, the bike never got above 165°F.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have not heard my fan and summer is winding done here with temps in the 50F range in the am. I just need the tourist to leave so i can get my roads back. (4 more weeks).

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,723 Posts
You guys don't know how lucky you are, ambient here is about 17ºC. On a good day we might see the low 20s, about 70F :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have ridden in above 100F (37.7C) multiple times with a heat index of over 105F (40.5C) a couple as well, and temp readout usually stayed around 180-190F (82.2-87.7C) as long as I was moving over 40 mph (64 Km). The humidity here usually is above 70% as well.

Any stopping and well... you get the melted shock you guys have seen me whine about on the other threads lol.

I too have noticed that the engine (according to the temp gauge) seems to always be around 180F (82.2C) except on those really hot days I mentioned above. My fans seem to kick on at 225F (107.2C) and stay on til it drops back down below 210F (98.8C).

Also interesting is that no matter what I have "up" in my right hand window (like where you can display Ambient Air Temp, and Consumption details) it will switch to the Engine Temp if you hit the 225F (107.2C) limit. (Or it seems like that is the number) Any one else notice this happening?

·
Super Moderator
7,816 Posts
You guys don't know how lucky you are, ambient here is about 17ºC. On a good day we might see the low 20s, about 70F :(
But the roads and view there must be stunning! ;)

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have ridden in above 100F (37.7C) multiple times with a heat index of over 105F (40.5C) a couple as well, and temp readout usually stayed around 180-190F (82.2-87.7C) as long as I was moving over 40 mph (64 Km). The humidity here usually is above 70% as well.

Any stopping and well... you get the melted shock you guys have seen me whine about on the other threads lol.

I too have noticed that the engine (according to the temp gauge) seems to always be around 180F (82.2C) except on those really hot days I mentioned above. My fans seem to kick on at 225F (107.2C) and stay on til it drops back down below 210F (98.8C).

Also interesting is that no matter what I have "up" in my right hand window (like where you can display Ambient Air Temp, and Consumption details) it will switch to the Engine Temp if you hit the 225F (107.2C) limit. (Or it seems like that is the number) Any one else notice this happening?
very informative and helpful. Phew but 225F is pretty [email protected] high.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the record, the owners manual states undiluted antifreeze only, now I understand the high temperatures mentioned here. I suspect the boiling point of the glycol is 160C or so

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here we have humidity in the 80% range a lot at around 32-35C, Bike hits 100C and fans kick on. IF sitting temp will drop down to 95 and they shut off. Highest I have seen it was 105C, hard highway run and not much cooldown to stop. I let it idle for a bit until the fans cooled the engine temp back down to 95C. My spring gets wildly hot, but no melted plastic yet. Akra Slipons, no map yet. (They have a slip on map Im told, they want me to come in and get it done, my dealer has good guys, I said I wanted to see what was involved in the remap and they said no problem, I can watch them do it.) Hoping to get it mapped this week. Already deleted the Exhaust Butterfly (properly with a quality dongle) and servo, so that seems to help keep underfairing temps down too. No heat issues and she's ridden hard often. I want my dealer to do the GP upmap so when Akra comes out with a cat delete midpipe I can fire that on. I understand the extra fuelling is hard on the cat but will help run cooler and possibly improve power delivery by a tiny, tiny bit!

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here we have humidity in the 80% range a lot at around 32-35C, Bike hits 100C and fans kick on. IF sitting temp will drop down to 95 and they shut off. Highest I have seen it was 105C, hard highway run and not much cooldown to stop. I let it idle for a bit until the fans cooled the engine temp back down to 95C. My spring gets wildly hot, but no melted plastic yet. Akra Slipons, no map yet. (They have a slip on map Im told, they want me to come in and get it done, my dealer has good guys, I said I wanted to see what was involved in the remap and they said no problem, I can watch them do it.) Hoping to get it mapped this week. Already deleted the Exhaust Butterfly (properly with a quality dongle) and servo, so that seems to help keep underfairing temps down too. No heat issues and she's ridden hard often. I want my dealer to do the GP upmap so when Akra comes out with a cat delete midpipe I can fire that on. I understand the extra fuelling is hard on the cat but will help run cooler and possibly improve power delivery by a tiny, tiny bit!
The performance curve of the std map is better than the ducati upmap. Done enough dynos to know what's better with the SS, in fact my bike has done 48 dyno's in 1 month, standard map is leaner and more fuel efficient. The standard curve delivers torque better. Further, running it richer does cool it down but man do you lose hp and strangely you will lose torque too. Stick with your current setup unless low and mid range is not important to you. I had to install the upmap without choice because disabling the valve required the upmap dongle through ducati DDS, otherwise I would have done without it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The performance curve of the std map is better than the ducati upmap. Done enough dynos to know what's better with the SS, in fact my bike has done 48 dyno's in 1 month, standard map is leaner and more fuel efficient. The standard curve delivers torque better.
That's really good information, even with the catalytic converter eliminated? Do you know how much different the slip-on update is? I would imagine it does nothing but leave the flapper valve open at all times... This is useful news. What about a PCV when they come out, might be my best bet over the Ducati canned maps?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts