Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had an email from Ducati for there new Monster 821. It has an 11degree Testastretta engine producing 109hp and 86Nm of torque, the SS has the 11degree Testastretta engine producing 110hp and 93Nm of torque. These are the figures quoted on the Ducati site.
With the SS having a 116cc advantage over the Monster it should have more than 1hp and 7Nm torque over the 821. I know the power curves are slightly different but even so. I'm not sure of the bore and stroke ratio of both engines, but if the 821 is so close to the SS in terms of hp and torque there must be more power to be had from the 937 engine.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I would have thought the same as you. More engineering advancements, maybe? Truth be told, this bike, with its engine size, should have been able to produce at least 120HP, maybe more.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I went to the Facebook page and looked it up, too. Meh, I'll keep the SS. Two different bikes, I know.

BUT, I do like the color TFT screen on the dash!!!!! Wish we had that, for sure!!

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I've just had an email from Ducati for there new Monster 821. It has an 11degree Testastretta engine producing 109hp and 86Nm of torque, the SS has the 11degree Testastretta engine producing 110hp and 93Nm of torque. These are the figures quoted on the Ducati site.
With the SS having a 116cc advantage over the Monster it should have more than 1hp and 7Nm torque over the 821. I know the power curves are slightly different but even so. I'm not sure of the bore and stroke ratio of both engines, but if the 821 is so close to the SS in terms of hp and torque there must be more power to be had from the 937 engine.
Firstly, the conti M3D is a clever piece of electronics but unfortunately the cleverness is not beneficial to the end user but ducati and the emissions inspectors will be happy.

It will be interesting for you to see the true hp on a dyno. I know my standard configuration before all my changes, it only got 98hp, now I get 108.7hp on the dyno, and that's after a lot of money and effort. My point is that you should not believe their numbers but do your own dyno if you want to know your true hp.

Edit: Std config was 89nm and post expenses is 96.8nm.
However in the mid range I got a significant increase and at 2000rpm I get an extra 20nm now. That feels good.

·
Administrator
8,507 Posts
SS has more torque about 1000 rpm lower. Tuned differently.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
The monsters tend to be tuned rich at the bottom end so they get their torque levels.. but so too is the fuel consumption. The SS runs leaner at the lower end so you will get slightly higher temperatures but also the economy. With that said, the torque is there on the SS yet they managed to tune it leaner. Wondering if the 821 is using the m3d ecu along with SS, the 797 and 1200.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The monsters tend to be tuned rich at the bottom end so they get their torque levels.. but so too is the fuel consumption. The SS runs leaner at the lower end so you will get slightly higher temperatures but also the economy. With that said, the torque is there on the SS yet they managed to tune it leaner. Wondering if the 821 is using the m3d ecu along with SS, the 797 and 1200.
im seeing the Torque, still to see the economy. My friend has a 2015 821 and claims 50+ on occasions. I havent seen it touch 50 yet on mine.

There was one website that stated the quote mileage was 35ish for the SS

·
Registered
921 Posts
I hit 51 once, on a really nice ride up the back roads to Mt St. Helens. I was convinced my fuel light was broken, it never came on, but previous experience should have had it showing 50 miles before I stopped for gas. I wasn't trying to be nice either. But this has nothing to do with the new Monster.

As Amos said - it'll show it's true colors on the dyno. I suspect it's the same 11 degree heads from the SS, which I'm pretty sure are the same heads from the Monster 1200 with the 11 degree cams from the Hyper. So now the baby monster shares the same platform as the daddy Monster.

I agree, the numbers don't add up, unless the baby Monster has higher compression, or more aggressive timing. I wonder how much heat it makes. It won't compete with the SS, shorter swingarm and steeper rake are going to make it more squirrely and wheelie prone - fun in the city but tiring out on the roads.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
im seeing the Torque, still to see the economy. My friend has a 2015 821 and claims 50+ on occasions. I havent seen it touch 50 yet on mine.

There was one website that stated the quote mileage was 35ish for the SS
I’ve hit 51 twice. Click on my fuelly link in my sig and you can see my fill ups.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I’ve hit 51 twice. Click on my fuelly link in my sig and you can see my fill ups.
yeah i check it every now and then I just dont know what im doing wrong. i do ride mostly street though, thats all i can think off. But a few long rides that ive done, gave me 45 at best

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I should have mentioned around town at lower revs. On the open road the monsters run leaner. When I had the 2016 monster 1200 for a day it was certainly a lot heavier on fuel. The 1200 2016 also uses the m3d ecu.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts