Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you Ed K! I had no idea that was even there until this thread started. Seems a good thing to regularly maintain.

Appreciate the pics and walk through!
Sure, glad it was helpful. If it seizes, it can be quite expensive to replace by the dealer when out of warranty, yet a very simple maintenance task (that hopefully reduces risk of failure).

Bit surprised it’s not a standard Ducati service check point, as these do fail, sometimes. Probably more often for riders who frequently ride in inclement weather as there’s a entry point for crap to get in there where the cable is threaded through the cover.

As @Derek mentioned above, the other option is remove it entirely and install a servo eliminator.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
since I have sort of fixation now on torque values ;D - do you take care about it for those three screws? Any loctite to put on?
PS1. I see I lost one of the screw o. O'
PS2. the last pictures does not exist anymore - minor issue though.

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
No loctite on mine, and then haven’t come loose.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Okay... so I’m confused. The bike seems quieter and it’s not throwing a code. I would like it louder like it was so what’s my next step? Of course, I don’t want to void the warranty which is extended for six and a half years... lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi, like the poster above, I have fitted the Healtech ese after repeated problems with the exhaust valve. I'm trying to work out if the current position of the valve is open or closed. Watching the servo work before installing the Healtech device, it cycled on ignition turned on, then cycled again when RPM was about 4000 and moved a bit when blipping the throttle. After fitting the Healtech the exhaust noise now seems more muted, which is not what I expected if the valve is open. Is there any way to visually establish that the valve is open so I can wire lock it into position?

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,711 Posts
The default position of the exh valve is closed, held there by the spring. With the cable removed it will remain in the open position

·
Registered
48 Posts
The default position of the exh valve is closed, held there by the spring. With the cable removed it will remain in the open position
Thanks, so many threads on this topic it got confusing.

So, with the now electrically disconnected servo in its resting position the valve is held closed, which would account for the quieter exhaust note. So, as per the Healtech instructions, it is desirable to disconnect the cable and let the springs hold the valve open. And if wanted, remove the servo entirely.

Has anyone seen any instructions on how to remove the cable from the servo? Or do you start the other end and remove the cable from the valve behind the metal plate on the muffler?

Cheers

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,711 Posts
It is easiest at the servo end. There is a plastic clip that holds the cable in place at the servo end. With this removed you can pull the cable outer from its seat enabling you to wiggle the nipple from its location in the servo quadrant. Once that is off it's easy to remove the cable from the butterfly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is easiest at the servo end. There is a plastic clip that holds the cable in place at the servo end. With this removed you can pull the cable outer from its seat enabling you to wiggle the nipple from its location in the servo quadrant. Once that is off it's easy to remove the cable from the butterfly.
Thanks Derek, well explained.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
One of the times mine was looked at under warranty the flap had seized in the closed position, so it pays to spray a bit of WD40 and make sure the flap is free.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Thanks, so many threads on this topic it got confusing.

So, with the now electrically disconnected servo in its resting position the valve is held closed, which would account for the quieter exhaust note. So, as per the Healtech instructions, it is desirable to disconnect the cable and let the springs hold the valve open. And if wanted, remove the servo entirely.

Has anyone seen any instructions on how to remove the cable from the servo? Or do you start the other end and remove the cable from the valve behind the metal plate on the muffler?

Cheers
The Ducati dealer installed the healer on mine while doing some other work. They completely removed the servo, I have it sitting in my box of parts now...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
One of the times mine was looked at under warranty the flap had seized in the closed position, so it pays to spray a bit of WD40 and make sure the flap is free.
Could you elaborate how and where to spray the WD40? I've cleaned the chain and exhaust system many time but not found the mechanism requiring service.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Could you elaborate how and where to spray the WD40? I've cleaned the chain and exhaust system many time but not found the mechanism requiring service.

Thanks.
Like I said, under warranty...

However, if you remove the triangular-shaped cover on the right-hand side of the catalytic convertor you should see the cable connected to the valve/ flap.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Like I said, under warranty...

However, if you remove the triangular-shaped cover on the right-hand side of the catalytic convertor you should see the cable connected to the valve/ flap.
Thanks for mentioning the cover. Appreciate it.

I don't understand what you mean about the warranty?

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Thanks for mentioning the cover. Appreciate it.

I don't understand what you mean about the warranty?
Don't know how it works in the US but in Oz we got 2 years, unlimited Ks warranty.

Throwing a fault that brings up the check engine light is covered by warranty.

The first time it came up the dealer cleaned and lubed the cables and exhaust flap. The second time they replaced the servo and cable. When it happened I purchased the healer and they fitted it for free, claiming under warranty as cleaning the servo/ cable/ flap.

All in all, I'm happy with the local dealer; they are passionate about their product and have been extremely helpful. I wish they'd stop telling me and the wife about the Diavel 1260 demonstrator though. Not for me, but the wife loves the new Diavel.

Reactions: Duke of Desmo
21 - 40 of 43 Posts