Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I equally have the problem now because the cable is broken.
Before to bring the bike at the ducati garage (next week) the mechanic asked me what is the behaviour of the engine (power, noise...)
The problem is that finally I can't define if the noise is louder or not. lol
When I turn the key before to start the engine there is not anymore the special noise of the valve movement.
According to the mechanic, the valve is stuck open. So it would signifie that when the engine is off, the valve is open and when we just start it, the valve closing?
Strange? I thought it was the opposite.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bike went in for annual service last week. Asked Dealer to switch off servo in DDS. Technician advised me that this can only be done on North American models, Australian and European models this function can't be accessed with DDS. So looks like Healtech eliminator for me.

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Bringing an older thread up to the front, for those who may not have seen these posts from back in 2019.

It's not uncommon for the exhaust flap mechanism and/or the associated cable to lockup, not only on the SS, but other Ducatis especially if the bike is frequently ridden in wet weather. If it does lockup, an ECU fault will be generated, and it also could be a significant repair bill depending on how locked/damaged the mechanism is.

Some have installed a bypass to keep the exhaust flap open even with the stock exhaust, but for those who have kept the exhaust flap stock, like mine, it helps to do a 5 minute maintenance on it. There is no recommended Ducati maintenance, but I have found checking the valve, and lightly lubricating it every 6 months or so, to be helpful in avoiding a lock-up of the valve, trouble and expense.

Sorry the pics are long gone, but it's a 5 minute job to inspect and lube the flap mechanism and cable. Carefully remove the three screws holding the exhaust flap cover, remove the cover, and inspect that the valve and cable can move freely. Lightly spray some lube on the cable and the join point of the cable with its casing, and also the outside of valve at the rotation points... I use a bit of Silicone / Teflon spray. Put the cover back on with the three screws, and you’re done! I haven’t had any issues with the valve or cable in 4 years of use through all kinds of weather. Just a thought for Members to consider. I just did mine and although everything was moving freely, I put a bit of lubricant to hopefully keep it moving freely.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts