Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed this as I was about to ride out. Exhaust gas leaking from where the pipe comes down to the bottom of the bike (when it runs horizontal) and joins onto the pipe going into the catalytic converter. It's all stock. First time I've noticed it, and not sure if that join has a tendency to loosen over time? It's done 27,000km.

I did put some WD40 under there when I just washed it the other day, to clean off some road grime. But it's not smoking anywhere other than the join in the exhaust pipe. Maybe the road grime is actually burning oil in the exhaust gas that's leaking out?

Is it safe to ride until I fix it? Is this a serious problem, or just a quick fix? Not going to install aftermarket exhaust so don't bother suggesting!!!!! ;-)

Appreciate any suggestions/experiences.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Is it actually leaking, or has the grime absorbed the WD40 and that's what's burning off?

Can you see, feel, or hear a leak? You can use an inspection mirror to look. or see if you can feel something with your finger, wetting the finger might help. Don't try to feel it if the exhaust is hot (just sayin')!

You can also hold a lighted match to see if it blows out, or a light thread or piece of paper to see if it blows around.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it actually leaking, or has the grime absorbed the WD40 and that's what's burning off?

Can you see, feel, or hear a leak? You can use an inspection mirror to look. or see if you can feel something with your finger, wetting the finger might help. Don't try to feel it if the exhaust is hot (just sayin')!

You can also hold a lighted match to see if it blows out, or a light thread or piece of paper to see if it blows around.
It's definitely leaking - I can see slightly bluish smoke coming straight out of the pipe join, puffing away in time with the motor. I just got back from a ride, and stopped after 10mins and another 15mins and neither time did I see anymore smoke/exhaust gas coming out. And just getting home, still don't see any. Will wait until the next cold start and see if it's there again. I'm sure it's leaking... just not sure why.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
From your description I agree with @theresanothersteve that it’s probably just WD getting into the joint and burning off. Its just a spring fit so the fact that some is slipping by isn’t all that surprising.

I'd keep an eye on it, and if you still see it pull it apart, clean and reseat the joint.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Team, thanks. I will do another cold start today and take a pic or video if the smoke is still there.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, started him up again today and let him idle until he warmed up and no exhaust leak apparent. So likely just a false alarm... WD-40 must have gotten into the pipe join and was burning off in puffs of smoke in time with the normal amount of exhaust gas that does escape normally from that join.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Glad it was a false alarm Boe (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts